Hiccuping hard drives

Old September 5th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NickM61[_2_]

Default Hiccuping hard drives

I thought this repeating clunk followed by a whistle was the sound of
drive failure. It stops when I cut power. I ordered a new identical
replacement drive and the same thing happens.

Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB ATA II
MB: Asus A7N8X deluxe (nForce 2 SPP)
SATA: Silicon Image Sil 3112A

What could this be? Could a sata port have failed? Here's I possible
hint. Once this happened, the BIOS splash screen suddenly appeared.
It never did before. I reloaded the bios optimal defaults with no
change.

Old September 5th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NickM61[_2_]

Thanks I'll try.

On Sep 4, 8:29 pm, "JAD" john
wrote:
clear your CMOS and let the bios redetect your hardware

"NickM61" wrote in message

ups.com...

I thought this repeating clunk followed by a whistle was the sound of
drive failure. It stops when I cut power. I ordered a new identical
replacement drive and the same thing happens.

Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB ATA II
MB: Asus A7N8X deluxe (nForce 2 SPP)
SATA: Silicon Image Sil 3112A

What could this be? Could a sata port have failed? Here's I possible
hint. Once this happened, the BIOS splash screen suddenly appeared.
It never did before. I reloaded the bios optimal defaults with no
change.- Hide quoted text -

Old September 5th 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NickM61[_2_]

On Sep 4, 8:33 pm, NickM61 wrote:
Thanks I'll try.

On Sep 4, 8:29 pm, "JAD" john
wrote:

clear your CMOS and let the bios redetect your hardware

"NickM61" wrote in message

oups.com...

I thought this repeating clunk followed by a whistle was the sound of
drive failure. It stops when I cut power. I ordered a new identical
replacement drive and the same thing happens.

Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB ATA II
MB: Asus A7N8X deluxe (nForce 2 SPP)
SATA: Silicon Image Sil 3112A

What could this be? Could a sata port have failed? Here's I possible
hint. Once this happened, the BIOS splash screen suddenly appeared.
It never did before. I reloaded the bios optimal defaults with no
change.- Hide quoted text -

CMOS reset as per ASUS manual and no change. When I hit the reset
button, same drive noises.

Old September 5th 07, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]

"NickM61" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 4, 8:33 pm, NickM61 wrote:
Thanks I'll try.

On Sep 4, 8:29 pm, "JAD" john
wrote:

clear your CMOS and let the bios redetect your hardware

"NickM61" wrote in message

oups.com...

I thought this repeating clunk followed by a whistle was the sound of
drive failure. It stops when I cut power. I ordered a new identical
replacement drive and the same thing happens.

Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB ATA II
MB: Asus A7N8X deluxe (nForce 2 SPP)
SATA: Silicon Image Sil 3112A

What could this be? Could a sata port have failed? Here's I possible
hint. Once this happened, the BIOS splash screen suddenly appeared.
It never did before. I reloaded the bios optimal defaults with no
change.- Hide quoted text -

CMOS reset as per ASUS manual and no change. When I hit the reset
button, same drive noises.

Positive its the HD and not the PSU clicking and whining?

Old September 5th 07, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"NickM61" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 4, 8:33 pm, NickM61 wrote:
Thanks I'll try.

On Sep 4, 8:29 pm, "JAD" john
wrote:

clear your CMOS and let the bios redetect your hardware

"NickM61" wrote in message

oups.com...

I thought this repeating clunk followed by a whistle was the sound of
drive failure. It stops when I cut power. I ordered a new identical
replacement drive and the same thing happens.

Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB ATA II
MB: Asus A7N8X deluxe (nForce 2 SPP)
SATA: Silicon Image Sil 3112A

What could this be? Could a sata port have failed? Here's I
possible
hint. Once this happened, the BIOS splash screen suddenly appeared.
It never did before. I reloaded the bios optimal defaults with no
change.- Hide quoted text -

CMOS reset as per ASUS manual and no change. When I hit the reset
button, same drive noises.

Try new drive cable. Is drive detected in BIOS? If you have seperate
cable/controller for optical drive, test HD on that cable and controller.

Mike.

Old September 5th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NickM61[_3_]

On Sep 5, 9:36 am, "Michael Hawes"
wrote:
"NickM61" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Sep 4, 8:33 pm, NickM61 wrote:
Thanks I'll try.

On Sep 4, 8:29 pm, "JAD" john
wrote:

clear your CMOS and let the bios redetect your hardware

"NickM61" wrote in message

oups.com...

I thought this repeating clunk followed by a whistle was the sound of
drive failure. It stops when I cut power. I ordered a new identical
replacement drive and the same thing happens.

Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB ATA II
MB: Asus A7N8X deluxe (nForce 2 SPP)
SATA: Silicon Image Sil 3112A

What could this be? Could a sata port have failed? Here's I
possible
hint. Once this happened, the BIOS splash screen suddenly appeared.
It never did before. I reloaded the bios optimal defaults with no
change.- Hide quoted text -

CMOS reset as per ASUS manual and no change. When I hit the reset
button, same drive noises.

Try new drive cable. Is drive detected in BIOS? If you have seperate
cable/controller for optical drive, test HD on that cable and controller.

Mike.- Hide quoted text -

The sounds only occur on a soft reset. I have since reset the CMOS
and am not sure if the sound will continue. I'm avoiding the reset
switch and a keyboard reboot for now.

This is a SATA RAID 0 array. I initially tried disconnecting the two
boot drives in the array and connecting the single replacement. The
same sounds occurred with the new drive. I figured nothing was wrong
with the drives aftear all though they were no longer being recognized
and I could not boot. I then successfully restored a partition backup
on the raid array using Acronis by boot CD. The drives are still not
being recognized. The partition was set as primary.

Currently, I'm validating the backup partition. Its have done and
will probably check out.

My new assumptions are that since the restore partition worked:

The drives are ok
The sata cables are ok
The power supply is ok

Could the sata raid ports be damaged?