Sony Vaio Desktop format

Old September 3rd 07, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
pheasant

Default Sony Vaio Desktop format

Shenan Stanley wrote:
pheasant wrote:

Friend got new computers at work.

Was told to either junk or take home old system.

Told him I had a copy of XP Pro, and he had the key on sticker, so
I'd format and reload a fresh copy to get rid of any sensitive data.

Well, after I tried to format, it tells me disk is unformattable,
possible disk failure, but I've got a real strong hunch I deleted
someting Sony had hidden like the other makers do.

Tried to do a repair, but everything is gone.

I'm "over my head" as Fleetwood Mac sung 30 years ago.

First - the CD (copy of Windows XP Professional Edition) you had - was it an
OEM/Sony edition?

Often those OEM sticker product keys are tied in with the OEM's particular
modification on the CD - BIOS locked.
Sometimes - with a true generic OEM copy of Windows XP CDs - you can use the
product key from the sticker to install with your media - but sometimes you
cannot.

OK. Sounds like I'm hosed.

Sorry about NOT cross posting. Can't please anyone it seems. Usually
get colon cleansed for doing so; thought I'd try this way.

Think I'll just say the hell with asking for advice, people would rather
flame someone who doesn't follow these friggin groups as a religion, and
just wants a simple question answered.
Again, sorry I didn't use proper etiquette. Will just let my friends
pay 50 bucks an hour from Geeksquad to fix stupid things we all
occasionally do.
I'm gone.
Old September 3rd 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]

"pheasant" wrote in message
Shenan Stanley wrote:
pheasant wrote:

[...]

Chose wisely the groups to which you x post. Anything with windows XP in the title, will
surely get you a negative response.

Old September 3rd 07, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]