Athlon 64 FX 55 @ 60C temp

Old January 17th 05, 08:24 PM
Freeman Cooley

Default Athlon 64 FX 55 @ 60C temp

Hello,

Is 60C a good temp under load for the Athlon 64 FX 55?

When I set my bios to keep it at 50C, the fan is very loud when I play
games. I would like to raise the allowable temp to quiet things down a bit.
I'm using the Stock Heatsink/Heatpipe/Thermal pad/Fan that came in
the retail box.

Thanks!

Old January 17th 05, 11:45 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:24:15 -0700, Freeman Cooley wrote:

Is 60C a good temp under load for the Athlon 64 FX 55?

When I set my bios to keep it at 50C, the fan is very loud when I play
games. I would like to raise the allowable temp to quiet things down a bit.
I'm using the Stock Heatsink/Heatpipe/Thermal pad/Fan that came in
the retail box.

Replace the rather small 70x15mm 21cfm fan on the retail cooler with a
70-80mm fan adapter and then get a 80x25mm fan that produces a lot more
airflow with a lot less noise. Might want a speed control if you get a
really high rpm fan.

Old January 18th 05, 08:29 AM
carl

It would be better to buy something like the Zalman silent fan:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...41&code=005009

Old January 18th 05, 09:43 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:29:39 +0000, carl wrote:

It would be better to buy something like the Zalman silent fan:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...41&code=005009

So it would be better to spend $40 vs. about $4 to achieve the same thing.
Somehow that just doesn't seem right to me.

Old January 20th 05, 04:16 PM
Freeman Cooley

The fan on the retail cooler looks propietary and integrated into the top of
the heatsink. I don't
think an adapter would work, but I may try it.

newsan.2005.01.17.23.45.56.517793@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old January 20th 05, 11:51 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:16:50 -0700, Freeman Cooley wrote:

The fan on the retail cooler looks propietary and integrated into the top
of the heatsink. I don't
think an adapter would work, but I may try it.

Assuming it's the same retail cooler as all the other A64's, it's just
a standard 70x15mm small cheap fan. There's nothing special about it
except the cpu serial number label that's on it. I replaced it with a TMD
fan until it died. I then used a 70x25mm fan on it fro a while, and
finally I put a 70-80mm fan adapter on it and used a standard 80x25mm low
speed fan on it. Been like that for a few months now.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Old January 21st 05, 04:57 AM
gf

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:51:20 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:16:50 -0700, Freeman Cooley wrote:

The fan on the retail cooler looks propietary and integrated into the top
of the heatsink. I don't
think an adapter would work, but I may try it.

Assuming it's the same retail cooler as all the other A64's, it's just
a standard 70x15mm small cheap fan. There's nothing special about it
except the cpu serial number label that's on it. I replaced it with a TMD
fan until it died. I then used a 70x25mm fan on it fro a while, and
finally I put a 70-80mm fan adapter on it and used a standard 80x25mm low
speed fan on it. Been like that for a few months now.

Where did you buy your 70x80 fan adapter?
Old January 21st 05, 06:15 AM
Mitch Crane

gf wrote in
:

Where did you buy your 70x80 fan adapter?

I just bought one from svc.com: http://svc.com/fa-7080.html
Old January 21st 05, 07:54 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 06:15:13 +0000, Mitch Crane wrote:

gf wrote in
:

Where did you buy your 70x80 fan adapter?

I just bought one from svc.com: http://svc.com/fa-7080.html

Yep, That's where I bought mine too. Also got some fans and other stuff
just so I wouldn't pay more for shipping than procuct.:-)

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm