CDRW Problem

Old April 28th 04, 12:27 AM
A.Cowan

Default CDRW Problem

Hello, I've recently built a system using a cheap ECS k7VMM+ mobo, an AMDXP
2800+ (266Mhz FSB) a basic vid card and a Lite-On LTR-24102B CDRW. It all
works fine except when I want to write to the CDRW, or even erase a CDRW.

I keep getting an 'Unspecified Target Error' message when i try to write to
a cd, and a "cd not compatible please insert CDRW media" message when i try
to erase it, even though its definately a CDRW and i've tried a number of
different disks. Also it only shows its max recording speed as 2x, when the
drive is 24x10x40x.
It doesnt just happen in Nero 6 either, even the XP (prof sp2) built in
feature won't work.

any help greatly appreciated!!
Alistair

Old April 28th 04, 02:08 AM
Tweek

CDRW disks are different from CD-R's in that you have to use the correctly
rated speed discs to coincide with the speed of your drive. In your case,
you need 10x disks. If you are trying to use 4x discs, they usually will not
work. I have not tried using higher speed discs in a lower speed drive, but
I don't think that works either. I have never had use for CDRW discs, they
are to unreliable.

Old April 28th 04, 06:58 AM
JAD

I have found nero 6 to be a very buggy version. I mentioned in another
thread that while installed it lamed XP's and other burnware until I
COMPLETELY rid my system of it. Nearly dumped my burner. Getting rid
of it fix My machine and 2 others, but did not help the poster that I
had suggested to here unfortunately. As always YMMV, There was a rumor
that nero has some pretty good 'anti piracy stuff going so if yours is
not legit give uninstalling a try. (mine was a legit version BTW). As
the other poster had mentioned too, CDRW's can be very finicky in
regards to acceptable media by various brands of burners Vs blanks.

"A.Cowan" wrote in
message ...

Old April 28th 04, 11:46 AM
Jim

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:08:26 -0700, "Tweek"
wrote:

I have never had use for CDRW discs, they are too unreliable.

I liked using the CD-RW format for progressive backups. Discovered
that option as unreliable recently when I began a recent backup
operation. The system wanted me to format the disc. Of course this
was the formatted disc which had been in service for some time. A
quick check confirmed all previous data stored on it was gone. No
luck inserting it into other drives or systems.

Started from scratch with a new CD-RW disc. Considering the wisdom of
whether I should limit its use to a given lifespan.
Old April 28th 04, 04:28 PM
Adam S

I have never had use for CDRW discs, they are too unreliable.

I liked using the CD-RW format for progressive backups. Discovered
that option as unreliable recently when I began a recent backup
operation. The system wanted me to format the disc. Of course this
was the formatted disc which had been in service for some time. A
quick check confirmed all previous data stored on it was gone. No
luck inserting it into other drives or systems.

Started from scratch with a new CD-RW disc. Considering the wisdom of
whether I should limit its use to a given lifespan.

I use two CD-RW disks to back-up on.

1st back-up disk A
2nd back-up disk B
3rd back-up disk A
4th back-up disk B
5th etc...

That way if/when one disk dies I have not lost everything. Also the two
disks are stored in diferent locations, just in case. You only find out how
good your back-up system is when you need it.

Adam S

Old May 2nd 04, 04:23 PM
Dboy

Ever since they were first released (CD-RW) there was a question about how
long they would be able to hold data.
My under standing is that the write surface is dye based and that just does
not seem very long lasting to me.
Especially when CD-R's can be bought inexpensively in bulk.
I wouyld much rather take my chance with a foil write surface for something
I wanted to hold onto.

But that is just my opinion.

Old May 4th 04, 04:52 AM
D.T

I recently bought some Verbatum CD-RW disks that write at 24x speed. I
do a backup each night (7 Disks) and rotate them. They are read back
after creation and I have had no problems. I also create a monthly
CD-r whick I keep.
I have had very little problems with CD-RWs, the only problem was
finding disks that would write fast enough for modern hi speed
drives.

I do think that it depends a lot on the quality of the disks as I did
had trouble with cheap 4x disks with my original burner

DT

"A.Cowan" wrote in message
Hello, I've recently built a system using a cheap ECS k7VMM+ mobo, an
AMDXP
2800+ (266Mhz FSB) a basic vid card and a Lite-On LTR-24102B CDRW. It all
works fine except when I want to write to the CDRW, or even erase a CDRW.

I keep getting an 'Unspecified Target Error' message when i try to write
a cd, and a "cd not compatible please insert CDRW media" message when i
try
to erase it, even though its definately a CDRW and i've tried a number of
different disks. Also it only shows its max recording speed as 2x, when
the
drive is 24x10x40x.
It doesnt just happen in Nero 6 either, even the XP (prof sp2) built in
feature won't work.

any help greatly appreciated!!
Alistair

This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
CDRW not being detected as pri or sec slave... Fredericks Homebuilt PC's 3 April 21st 04 04:52 AM
CDRW not being detected as pri or sec slave... Fredericks General 2 April 18th 04 10:01 PM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM