What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 17th 06, 07:26 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default Effing religious fundamental cases [OT]

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:17:00 +0100, in
alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains, Dr Teeth wrote:

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when
opened his gob and said:

It beggars belief that people knowing that stores will be closed on a
certain day cannot use their brains and go the day before to do their
shopping

What beggars even more belief is that they forget the stores will be
open the *next* day.

It's still pretty barbaric. Even the US has stores open. Why should a
small minority stop me from shopping?

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Old April 17th 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

SteveH wrote:

They signed that contract.

They more than likely didn't have any choice. It was either sign the
contract or claim benefits.

That *is* a choice Steve.

But neither would you do it for £5.05 / hour, either.

Lot of people on far less than that.

Don't you worry yersel' there are plenty of very polite and very
presentable Polish and Czech till operators who don't have any
chip-on shoulder attitudes about giving a good service, and the
rest.

We won't starve.

And you wouldn't starve if the shops reverted to 70s / 80s style
opening hours, either.

We wouldn't starve if we shut the shops every day except 2, could save
a fortune in unneccessary shop workers, if all shoppers coordinated
their shopping. It wouldn't take much, and all the corner shops would
flourish again to fill in the gaps. Say, thursday and Friday, sack the
shop workers and have self service tills like Asda.

--
wigwambam
Old April 17th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:41:11 +0100, (SteveH)
wrote:

Derek ^ wrote:

So because you couldn't/ wouldn't stop your brats munching down the food you
had plans for, a few people had to sit in a supermarket waiting your arrival
so you could still make that yummy afters.

Those people did it to *Get Money*.

Their priority comes first, they chose to *Get Money*.

Those people did it because they were *contracutally obliged* to sit on
a till, for £5.05 / hour so you could go shopping.

The fact they might well have preferred to be at home cooking or eating with
their families, but were contractually obliged to sit around waiting to
serve you is unimportant then?

They signed that contract.

They more than likely didn't have any choice. It was either sign the
contract or claim benefits.

Our own middle aged female office secretary came from Morrissons as a
till operator, she'd done atraining cours in IT at the local college
of FE. She didn't have a bad word for them, and had been paid for
substantial amounts of time off sick (as I have subsequently found to
my cost).

Her daughter with 2x first degrees, 1 "sports science", 1 "media
management" walked straigh into a call centre job at GE Capital. I
wouldn't have paid her in washers.

AAMOF I didn't sign any such contract but if needs must I have
sometimes to depart mid afternoon, Sunday and drive 300+ miles so that
I can be with my customer at 08-30 Monday morning so that his patients
can get the results of their hospital tests, and yes once you have
done it once (in an emergency) they re-set their standards and expect
it every single time, as a matter of their convenience. I don't get
any extra pay for it at all.

But neither would you do it for £5.05 / hour, either.

Are you reeceiving me?? I don't get paid for it *at all*. Those days
are over. Sadly they were over before I finished UNI in 1969 and took
up my first job.

Can't see where all these arguments about the retail sector are coming
from. We don't see them coming from the prison officers the
electricity generators, the hospital workers, the water board
employees, the broadcast TV workers, the gas suppliers, the telephone
exchange workers. USW, USW, USW, at all

Possibly because the above have contracutal protection meaning they
don't have to work *most* Sundays, and any that do are paid a premuim to
do it.

I didn' get *any* premium. Save, ISTR getting 5%+ for working shifts
the whole year.

And they don't all collect a *packet* every bank holiday.

And they don't all have a great big hairy issue about sitting about
having to spend their priceless time waiting for a customer to flush
the bog/make a phone call/ light the gas oven.

Oh, you can bet they do, only their unions,

They were decimated during /after the winter of discontent. I've never
been in a union.

being either public sector,
or ex-public sector, will hold the balance of power and will have
negotiated adequate provisions for proper Sunday / bank holiday rotas /
pay.

It must be a Great British (Service is beneath me) attitude, which
only comes into play when the particular customer can be identified.

Don't you worry yersel' there are plenty of very polite and very
presentable Polish and Czech till operators who don't have any
chip-on shoulder attitudes about giving a good service, and the rest.

We won't starve.

And you wouldn't starve if the shops reverted to 70s / 80s style opening
hours, either.

If only we could turn the wheel of history backwards.

Rotary dial telephones would be on a 9 month waiting list and would
all be black. The Mills would still be flourishing because there was
an import duty on the clothes people actually wanted to buy, and a
pair of leather shoes would have been about 140 quid.

Those were the days!

DG

Old April 17th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:

Hang on Steve I am more than with you on this if I had my way stores
would close at 5 PM Saturday and reopen Mon 9 AM EVERY WEEK
I never liked having to work SUNDAYS .

You don't like working Sundays, so you wouldn't let ANYONE work Sundays?

Selfish git.

No, it's just that he's sticking up for those who have less choice than
him, or you, or me. Sometimes freedoms for the majority are worth
giving up to prevent the weakest few being exploited. That's unselfish
in my book.

*ding*
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 17th 06, 07:49 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On 2006-04-17, SteveH wrote:
Martin Underwood wrote:

SteveH wrote in
:

Not bloody rocket science to expect consumers to plan for days when
retail outlets will be closed.

Better still not to make consumers have to plan for days when retail outlets
will be closed, and instead to allow shops to provide service when it's
needed. In other words, as a country we should be putting the needs of the
customer *first* rather than *last*.

Ahhh, you're another one who believes in 'screw everyone else, I'm OK'.

Actually, it appears that it's you that wants to stop other people
from freely entering into mutually beneficial arrangements for some rather
odd reasons of your own.

That makes you an interfering, arrogant, nosey-parker bully in my
book.

For some people sunday working will be mutually beneficial. For others
it will be forced upon them and they can up and leave and find another
job if they don't like it. For others, there will be little chance of
alternative employment and they'll be forced onto dole or forced to
just put up with it. As usual, the least qualified, the poorest and the
least able to help themselves will suffer the most.

All the great social reformers were called interefering and arrogant.
Good job Wilberforce and MLK didn't listen to them eh?

Jon.

Old April 17th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Doug Weller
opened his gob and said:

Why should a
small minority stop me from shopping?

Because you're being a naughty boy g.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old April 17th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:32:19 +0100, Derek ^
wrote:

They were decimated during /after the winter of discontent. I've never
been in a union.

Good man all unions should be got rid of pity dear Mrs T didn't have
time to finish the job she started .

Unions are almost powerless as it is, which is why we're now
experiencing exploitation of the workforce.

What we need are stronger unions to protect our weaker workers.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 17th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:21:29 UTC, "oO" wrote:

- will you be voting BNP or UKIP?

They're both far too left wing for him.