problem with sound playback under windows xp pro

Old December 18th 04, 05:19 AM
name

Default problem with sound playback under windows xp pro

Hello.

Somehow I'm baffled by a mysterious problem with sound playback under
windows xp pro.
I suspect it's related to the driver and it's probably a
software-related issue, but I'm puzzled how
to resolve it. The problem is that when I play mono sound files, I
barely hear anything. As soon
as I shift the balance (either left or right) however, sound comes
back. Stereo files do play at the
regular volume level but fairly distorted.
I have an integrated sound card, Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio
Controller.
Removing the hardware under windows xp pro (which means windows
automatically installs it
again) doesn't seem to help.
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this issue, kind regards, Niek
Old December 19th 04, 02:06 AM
L David Matheny

"name" wrote in message om...
Hello.

Somehow I'm baffled by a mysterious problem with sound playback
under windows xp pro.
I suspect it's related to the driver and it's probably a
software-related issue, but I'm puzzled how
to resolve it. The problem is that when I play mono sound files,
I barely hear anything. As soon
as I shift the balance (either left or right) however, sound comes
back. Stereo files do play at the
regular volume level but fairly distorted.
I have an integrated sound card, Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio
Controller.
Removing the hardware under windows xp pro (which means
windows automatically installs it
again) doesn't seem to help.
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this issue, kind regards, Niek

Sounds like one channel's phase is being reversed somehow.
For mono sound files, the two channels would then sum to zero.
Stereo sound files would sound "phasey", with poor imaging.

Old December 19th 04, 02:13 AM
Kadaitcha Man

L David Matheny, , the screaky, sneaking market
researcher, and employee who makes and sells cheap beehives, delivered:

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!! 24hour****up.idiotdesk material.

--
Conversations with ****wits:
COLA Quality Control Comittee: "Ouch.**20MB*Ram?**486*maybe?"