ASUS A7S266 and power switch

Old December 6th 03, 03:21 AM
Paul

Default ASUS A7S266 and power switch

In article , "Joust"
wrote:

my A7S266 does not resond to the power switch.
when i turn the power supply on with the switch on the back teh computer
boots. this is the only way to turn it off as well. I can use it this way
but it is a nuisance.

anybody have any idea what i could try?

Your case front power switch could be busted.

Your power supply might not be pulling up the PS_ON# signal
properly.

Or, the chip on the motherboard that drives the PS_ON# signal
might be crazy.

When this happened to me, one of my IDE cables was half plugged in,
and whatever that was doing to the Southbridge seemed to upset the
power control. Shouldn't have happened...

Paul
Old December 7th 03, 12:31 AM
Joust

now i did it...
i went and installed windows98se.
everything went fine until i used windows to Shutdown "properly" ...well it
shutdown and nw it will not resond to teh power button or the powersupply
turn on.. its just dead.
does anybody know how the soft control circuit looks? can i fake one?
and run it right to PS_ON#?

Old December 7th 03, 12:59 AM
Joust

another update.
i found the power on signal form the power supply. i pulled it low with a
pull down resistor and the board powered up! great.
shut down again great!
now it will nto power up again with the pull down resistor trick. if i hold
the resistor on the pin the CPU fan comes one but no life.

"Joust" wrote in message
. ..
now i did it...
i went and installed windows98se.
everything went fine until i used windows to Shutdown "properly" ...well

it
shutdown and nw it will not resond to teh power button or the powersupply
turn on.. its just dead.
does anybody know how the soft control circuit looks? can i fake one?
and run it right to PS_ON#?

Old December 7th 03, 05:51 AM
Joust

normally that would work i think.
but the problem i am seeing with this board is that after it shuts down it
will not start back up.
if i turn off the power supply i.e remove all power from teh board. then and
only then will the momentary short thing work.
for fun i left teh machine powered up for a while and it reboots every 30
min or so. I think there is something major wrong with the Hardware
Monitoring ASUS AS99127 chip.

"Ed" wrote in message
The pins for the PWR only need to be shorted out for a second, you could
remove your case power switch pins from the mobo and use a screw driver
(or other conductive object) to short those two pins to simulate a
momentary switch.

Ed

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:31:46 -0500, "Joust" wrote:

now i did it...
i went and installed windows98se.
everything went fine until i used windows to Shutdown "properly" ...well

it
shutdown and nw it will not resond to teh power button or the powersupply
turn on.. its just dead.
does anybody know how the soft control circuit looks? can i fake one?
and run it right to PS_ON#?

Old December 7th 03, 08:42 AM
Paul

In article , "Joust"
wrote:

normally that would work i think.
but the problem i am seeing with this board is that after it shuts down it
will not start back up.
if i turn off the power supply i.e remove all power from teh board. then and
only then will the momentary short thing work.
for fun i left teh machine powered up for a while and it reboots every 30
min or so. I think there is something major wrong with the Hardware
Monitoring ASUS AS99127 chip.

Are you sure this isn't a power supply problem ? If you follow this group
for a while, you'll notice people replacing power supplies a lot,
implying you should look there first for a problem. Try a PS swap and
see if things don't improve...

For the motherboard to turn on the power supply, it must have a good
source of five volts via the +5VSB supply. This is the supply that
lights the green LED which is present on most recent Asus motherboards.
Sometimes power supply problems can be traced to a failure of this standby
supply, which can make it hard or impossible to turn on the supply. This
could be caused by an overload on the circuit (say, too much standby load
on +5VSB) or more likely, a failure of the PS circuit that makes this
voltage.

HTH,
Paul

"Ed" wrote in message
The pins for the PWR only need to be shorted out for a second, you could
remove your case power switch pins from the mobo and use a screw driver
(or other conductive object) to short those two pins to simulate a
momentary switch.

Ed

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:31:46 -0500, "Joust" wrote:

now i did it...
i went and installed windows98se.
everything went fine until i used windows to Shutdown "properly" ...well

it
shutdown and nw it will not resond to teh power button or the powersupply
turn on.. its just dead.
does anybody know how the soft control circuit looks? can i fake one?
and run it right to PS_ON#?