External drives may contain refurbished drives!

Old June 5th 19, 01:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default External drives may contain refurbished drives!

I just read a piece by BackBlaze discussing the best kinds of drives to
use for various purposes, and I noticed that they claim that external
drives *may* contain refurbished drives!

This could account for the reports on Amazon that the drives inside a
certain Seagate external drive had an unusual model number: I forget the
capacity, but instead of ending in 004 it ended in Z04, IIRC.

Perce

Old June 5th 19, 09:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 6/5/19 3:56 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

I just read a piece by BackBlaze discussing the best kinds of drives
to use for various purposes, and I noticed that they claim that
external drives *may* contain refurbished drives!

This could account for the reports on Amazon that the drives inside a
certain Seagate external drive had an unusual model number: I forget
the capacity, but instead of ending in 004 it ended in Z04, IIRC.

Perce

URL ?

Here's the URL for the BackBlaze piece:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-buying-guide/

Perce

Old June 28th 19, 12:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 6/4/19 8:44 PM, I wrote:

I just read a piece by BackBlaze discussing the best kinds of drives to
use for various purposes, and I noticed that they claim that external
drives *may* contain refurbished drives!

This could account for the reports on Amazon that the drives inside a
certain Seagate external drive had an unusual model number: I forget the
capacity, but instead of ending in 004 it ended in Z04, IIRC.

I just bought some 8TB Seagate drives in the "frustration-proof"
packaging (not sure it's any easier to get to the drive than the
packages I used to get from NewEgg, the ones with the softish black
plastic supports in a cardboard box -- but at least I didn't have to
slash into a plastic "shell." These are entirely cardboard, but on a
couple of them it seemed that a tab had not been inserted in the correct
place, allowing the drive to slide around a little).

The label on the outside is "ST8000DMZ04 Contains ST8000DM004."

Perce