Novell Desktop Linux 10: getting closer to a toss up between Linux & Windows?

Old February 1st 06, 11:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Novell Desktop Linux 10: getting closer to a toss up between Linux & Windows?

I'm still not convinced by Linux on the desktop yet, but this seems
like it might be getting closer. It's probably pretty important that
people move out of Windows before Vista arrives and they get stuck.

Yousuf Khan

Novell Shows Off Linux Desktop 10 - Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2006...pcworld/124571

Old February 2nd 06, 01:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On a sunny day (1 Feb 2006 14:41:31 -0800) it happened "YKhan"
wrote in
.com:

I'm still not convinced by Linux on the desktop yet, but this seems
like it might be getting closer. It's probably pretty important that
people move out of Windows before Vista arrives and they get stuck.

Yousuf Khan

Novell Shows Off Linux Desktop 10 - Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2006...pcworld/124571

Well.. I had it installed, (10.0) then tried to upgrade to 10.1 beta
that asked me for things, it deleted most stuff.
No I have installed grml linux from grlm.org.
It needs a lot of work, is debian based, and I replaced the X.org with Xfree,
ported most stuff now..
My view is (and has always been) that 'imitating MS windows' is like
aping a fool.
WHY would you want to make a topweight huge slow GUI while a command
line can actually understand what your write (nice for voice recognition too).
I am not recommending grml for office work :-) it is a sys adm tool (well
was, it is my desktop I am running now).
KDE and gnome are big and heavy.. I use fvwm now (the original).
And have 8 xterms, xfm and a decent pager in X.

So... immitating windows.. that really sucks, Linux was and is good because
of its possibillity for small and fast.

No, these guys (Novell Suse) go for the heavy stuff.
On the other hand .. what does one expect in an offce? I have staroffice
installed, sql ledger, phpPgAdmin.
Plus 799 scripts I made (just counted these).
So 799 extra commands I can type, how about 'show bbc4" (it wil start xine
on digital satellite with bbc4).
How about speaking 'show ard1' (perlbox voice).
So multimedia PC too....
Who needs such a dinosaur MS windows desktop clone, one screen with icons and
some xterms or rxvt is much more practical.
And I am in the middle of it.
When we see the 100$ PC with Linux, then I sincerely hope it runs Xfree with
fvwm and a 9 field pager (virtual screens).
There is the other guy, the one who was wrong about 64 k is enough for anyone,
internet is nothing, DVD is out, Linux is no thread, who now wants the 100$ PC
idea replaced by a cellphone with keyboard and display adapter? ???????
He is so out of touch with electronics... he claims the cellphone has a
computer in it.
True, microprocessor.. But a KEYBOARD ALSO has a microcomputer in it.
So then make a keyboard with a programmable processor.
Maybe Billy thinks the OS will run in JAVA on the cellphone...... Then it
would indeed approach MS speed.
My cellphone runs java.....
LOL
Billy EVERYTHING including 'mama' dolls has a microprocessor in it these days.
Why not use a mama doll...
Nuf said .

Old February 2nd 06, 04:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

"YKhan" writes:

I'm still not convinced by Linux on the desktop yet, but this seems
like it might be getting closer. It's probably pretty important that
people move out of Windows before Vista arrives and they get stuck.

(1) I've been convinced by Linux on the desktop for a decade now.
Generally when people point to the applications that they need
Windows for (no. 1: Word), they're talking about exactly the
applications that sent me screaming in horror a decade ago. And
they've only gotten worse since.

(2) The Windows people I know are already so stuck that Vista won't
make a difference.
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old February 2nd 06, 03:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

YKhan wrote:

I'm still not convinced by Linux on the desktop yet, but this seems
like it might be getting closer.

When the last you tried it? It's very easy and risk-free with the new
"live" distributions that run off a CD. Ubuntu and Mepis both work
that way, and are also very easy to install to HD to get the full
effect.

Old February 2nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

chrisv wrote:
When the last you tried it? It's very easy and risk-free with the new
"live" distributions that run off a CD. Ubuntu and Mepis both work
that way, and are also very easy to install to HD to get the full
effect.

Actually, Ubuntu was the last one I used off of a live CD. Yes, it's
very easy to install and use. But I didn't try attaching everything,
like joysticks, driving wheels and scanners and stuff. Those are the
kinds of things that will probably hinder acceptance now. Oh yeah, and
SATA support.

Yousuf Khan

Old February 3rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Yousuf Khan wrote:
chrisv wrote:
When the last you tried it? It's very easy and risk-free with the new
"live" distributions that run off a CD. Ubuntu and Mepis both work
that way, and are also very easy to install to HD to get the full
effect.

Actually, Ubuntu was the last one I used off of a live CD. Yes, it's
very easy to install and use. But I didn't try attaching everything,
like joysticks, driving wheels and scanners and stuff. Those are the
kinds of things that will probably hinder acceptance now. Oh yeah, and
SATA support.

Yousuf Khan

I got perfect SATA support with OpenSuse 10.0, the 64-bit version, no less.

My problem is video codec support right out the box an MP3 decoding.

Still, I'm well on my way to being MS-free.
Old February 3rd 06, 06:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Yousuf Khan wrote:

chrisv wrote:
When the last you tried it? It's very easy and risk-free with the new
"live" distributions that run off a CD. Ubuntu and Mepis both work
that way, and are also very easy to install to HD to get the full
effect.

Actually, Ubuntu was the last one I used off of a live CD. Yes, it's
very easy to install and use. But I didn't try attaching everything,
like joysticks, driving wheels and scanners and stuff. Those are the
kinds of things that will probably hinder acceptance now. Oh yeah, and
SATA support.

What planet are you on? I bought my first SATA drive in 2003 and Linux
had support for SATA up and running by then.

CC