SBLive emulation is horrible and now suddenly drives broke: INI fileincomplete ?

Old January 27th 20, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default SBLive emulation is horrible and now suddenly drives broke: INIfile incomplete ?

Sound in mortal kombat is still crap though...

Sounds badly emulated...

Pinball dreams kinda still crappy sound.

Could also try moving pci soundblaster card somewhere else.

Or try different settings.

For now I am done with this ****ty crap.

Moving game over to my dreampc to have some fun with it in dosbox and hopefully it will run there and it will give me a better impression of how it should actually sound.

Didn't really plan on ms-dos gaming on pentium 166, for that I will use pentium 3 450 mhz with isa soundblaster 16 card which seems must better for this.

Moving the sblive over to my dreampc would probably be a horrible mistake... might not even get a free irq... until I figure out what the problem is on penium 166.

bios settings were lost, might have something to do with it, maybe I setup legacy mode for irq's not sure... or maybe I just never used sblive that much in ms-dos.

Would be nice though to have pentium 166 as gaming option.

Also little preview of future messages:

Find nice motorola vip 1963 set top box, modern stuff from 2011, it's like a pentium 166 but with new fans on it and no heatsinks..

alien architecture, hitachi sh4 processor/cpu inside of the bigger one.

Gonna try linux on it later, would be awesome for a low end pc... zero db, hdmi, 2 usb, ethernet, etc funny and a harddisk ! =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 27th 20, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Holy ****ing **** batman.

Pinball dreams which I just sent to over to my dreampc, doesn't work there when the game I started in dosbox.

I think I have found a new copy right protection scheme that might be unknown lol.

Winzip detected this, some of the music files have a date beyond what winzip can handle, the year 1970 or so...

Winzip piece of **** changed this to 1980 and now pinball dreams probably refuses to run cause dates are ****ed.

I will try and change back dates and see if that helps.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 27th 20, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Checked dosbox compatibility list should run:

Somebody figured it out and writes:

"
Pinball dreams needs the file INSTALL.SYS in the root of the partition/mount in which it is installed (usually C to run.
"

Indeed this file is seen with:

dir /a:h *.sys

Will try and copy that sys file over... but wow... might have to place that on my drive lol.

Whacky stuff. Checking first if such a file isn't already there on my windows drive

Nope it not there interesting =D

File is 29 bytes.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old January 27th 20, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Ok cool it works:

mount y: c:\games\pinball

install.sys stored in c:\games\pinball

This makes pinball dreams believe it's own folder is root with install.sys installed.

This saves me from having to install install.sys to the actual C drive lol.

Now idea if it might secretly boot lol.

Saver this way...

Besides windows 7 won't even allow copieing this file to C drive without permissions and such ! LOL.

Too funny ! =D

Ok sound is beautifull in dosbox 0.74-3

Happy for now ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck ! =D
Old January 27th 20, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

OK running Pinball Dreams in Dosbox is actually quite funny.

I discovered a way to cheat:

Simpy run with low CPU cycles and the ball goes very slow.

This cheat could have been used back in those days with a TSR that consumes a lot of CPU possible as well, didn't think of it back then ! =D

Hihihi funny stuff.

I am pretty sure the developers never thought of this ! =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck ! =D
Old January 27th 20, 07:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

It's even cooler when the cpu cycles is set very high, it starts to sound like dubstep... quite cool =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck =D