IS this the normal shut down sound a Seagate Barracuda HD makes

Old January 10th 20, 08:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Sam

Default IS this the normal shut down sound a Seagate Barracuda HD makes

It only happens when I shut down Windows. Should I go into the bios and shut down from there, it's not present. However, I had the same harsh sound about 6 years ago with another Seagate connected via a dock.

The audio file is he https://gofile.io/?c=GmmM8z
Old January 10th 20, 11:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 23:26:54 -0800 (PST), Sam
wrote:

It only happens when I shut down Windows. Should I go into the bios and shut down from there, it's not present. However, I had the same harsh sound about 6 years ago with another Seagate connected via a dock.

The audio file is he https://gofile.io/?c=GmmM8z

I have drives that do that. I assume it's simply the heads being parked.

Old January 11th 20, 11:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

wrote:

It only happens when I shut down Windows. Should I go into the
bios and shut down from there, it's not present. However, I had
the same harsh sound about 6 years ago with another Seagate
connected via a dock.

The audio file is he https://gofile.io/?c=GmmM8z

I have drives that do that. I assume it's simply the heads being
parked.

I agree, it sounds quite usual.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old January 12th 20, 07:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Sam

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 2:26:35 PM UTC-8, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
I agree, it sounds quite usual.

In other words, it sounds normal to you even Seagate's tech support in Ecuador or wherever they are say it's not?

Old January 12th 20, 08:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 22:52:34 -0800 (PST), Sam
wrote:

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 2:26:35 PM UTC-8, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
I agree, it sounds quite usual.

In other words, it sounds normal to you even Seagate's tech support in Ecuador or wherever they are say it's not?

Do you think they heard your recording, or are they merely responding to
your textual description?

Either way, it sounds like they are going out of their way to help you.
Based on what I heard, I would simply continue to use the drive. Use a
SMART monitor to check various drive health parameters, but you should
probably be doing that anyway, for all of your drives. I use Hard Disk
Sentinel, but there are many others, some free, some not.

Old January 12th 20, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

Sam wrote:
On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 2:26:35 PM UTC-8, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
I agree, it sounds quite usual.

In other words, it sounds normal to you even Seagate's tech support
in Ecuador or wherever they are say it's not?

Like Mark P. I'm assuming that they didn't really pay attention to
the recording, maybe just following along a "script" that says to
believe that your drive has failed because you provided a sound file
as "proof" (the drive hasn't failed, but the script probably assumes
that it has).

Anyway the only sound occouring only at turn-off that I would pay
attention to would be that of a head crash. Your recording didn't
have any hints of that mini angle-grinder sound, so personally I
wouldn't have paid much attention to it if it were my drive. Indeed
I have heard similar sounds from drives being turned off, especially
audible if running them on a table instead of inside a PC.

--
__ __