how to test psu and reset to cmos to default

Old January 29th 05, 03:23 AM
Tanya

Default how to test psu and reset to cmos to default

hi,
x-posted
this is not a very popular topic as i keep losing people :-)
but i'd appreciate any help.
ibm aptiva 2159-s90 (1997; split system; win95B) SUDDENLY for no reason,
had post-start-up errors (date and time change (they hadn't changed) and
config change -- referred to the floppy drive))
the floppy was fine (basically) i changed the battery last pm and it
wouldn't pass the post (at all)
cleared the cmos (paper btwn clip and battery overnight)
it booted this am; many post-start-up errors (some phantom)
currently: the cd-rom (in the media console) is running however the pc
won't recognize the win95 cd (the cd-rom is set as the 4th start-up
device)
the post-start-up error now is: "adapter card resource error" which i
think refers to the media console controller card (since it's in an isa
slot)
i have NO CLUE what to do about that.
so i want to get the pc to reset to factory settings and don't know how
to get this (it is not listed (although it used to be))

i need to test the psu and want to make sure that this is correct:
i'd put the positive (red) probe (backprobe) to for example the red wire
on the power cable to the hd and THEN ground it (for example using the
p8-6 and p9-1(the center black wires on the power to the board
adapter?))
any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated

Old January 29th 05, 09:50 AM
w_tom

What to measure and limits for those numbers are provided in
alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004
at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

Voltage numbers should be in upper 3/4 limits of those
limits. If all voltages are OK when computer is powered off
and powered on (purple wire always provide voltage which is
why power cord must be removed before fixing anything from
computer).

Once the power supply system (it contains three separate
parts) is demonstrated OK (by numbers), only then do we move
on to other usual suspects. Meanwhile, get comprehensive
diagnostics for that IBM. Next will be to test hardware
without the complications of software (such as Windows and
drivers). I believe IBM called them "Advanced Diagnostics".
Either they are on disk drive, on a separate diskette, or can
be downloaded from IBM web site. All responsible computer
manufacturers provide comprehensive diagnostics for free -
which suggests a benchmark that some other manufacturers do
not meet.

Unfortunately there has been too many changes without first
collecting data. Failure to first collect data may be the
'death knell' because I recall a reference to Ez-Bios. IOW
important information for Ez-Bios may have been destroyed by
resetting CMOS without first recording important numbers. One
never fixes anything until all critical data is collected.
This is but one example why. You would not believe how
complex a problem can be created by Ez-Bios IF we don't have
correct information on that unique version of Ez-Bios (also
applies to other Bios Extenders).

Any rate, get those power supply numbers and report back.
Even if you don't know what those numbers are, still, those
numbers make it possible for the learned to do more than 'wild
speculation'. Previously, too many posters were doing just
that - wildly speculating. First get facts.

Old January 29th 05, 05:45 PM
Trent©

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:23:27 -0500, Tanya
wrote:

hi,
x-posted
this is not a very popular topic as i keep losing people :-)
but i'd appreciate any help.

Your post is hard to read. Yer throwin' too much slang in. I haven't
read stuff like this since English Comp 101 lol

But...I'll try to help...with both! lol

ibm aptiva 2159-s90 (1997; split system;

What's a 'split system'?

win95B) SUDDENLY for no reason,
had post-start-up errors (date and time change (they hadn't changed)

What do you mean 'they hadn't changed'?

and
config change -- referred to the floppy drive))

How many floppy drives do you have? What size are they?

the floppy was fine (basically)

What do you mean 'basically'?

i changed the battery last pm and it
wouldn't pass the post (at all)

What do you mean 'wouldn't pass the post'? What EXACTLY happened?
Any error messages?

cleared the cmos (paper btwn clip and battery overnight)

You clear the BIOS by use of a jumper...and then only momentarily. Go
get a new batter from Radio Shack and put it in. It seems like the
battery is the biggest part of your problem so far.

it booted this am;

You can say 'morning'. We're all adults. We can handle it! lol

many post-start-up errors (some phantom)

Geez. What the hell do you mean 'phantom'? I can SEE why a lot of
folks have given up on you! lol

Make a note of any errors...EXACT verbiage. Then let us know.

currently: the cd-rom (in the media console)

What is a 'media console'?

is running

What do you mean 'is running'? The cdrom WORKS? Or...you can see an
icon? Or...

however the pc
won't recognize the win95 cd (the cd-rom is set as the 4th start-up
device)

Try another cd and see if the rom can read it.

the post-start-up error now is: "adapter card resource error" which i
think refers to the media console controller card (since it's in an isa
slot)
i have NO CLUE what to do about that.

Most of your problems probably have come about because your EZBios has
reset itself to the default settings. Get the new battery
first...then we can try to solve some of the other problems.

so i want to get the pc to reset to factory settings and don't know how
to get this (it is not listed (although it used to be))

WHAT is not listed? What are you talking about here?

i need to test the psu

Not yet you don't. One step at a time. None of your problems so far
sound like a Power Supply Unit (PSU) problem.

and want to make sure that this is correct:
i'd put the positive (red) probe (backprobe) to for example the red wire
on the power cable to the hd and THEN ground it (for example using the
p8-6 and p9-1(the center black wires on the power to the board
adapter?))
any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated

Depending on what you've really done, you may have even shorted out
the hard drive also.

Do this...

Get the CMOS battery...put it in. Then disconnect the hard drive.
Then boot the machine into the BIOS...and make sure all the settings
are correct for your machine. Then power down...unplug...and plug in
all drives. Record any error messages you may get...and get back to
us.

When the CMOS battery is getting low, you'll start to lose time on the
computer (other things can cause this also, however). This is a good
warning that you should replace the battery soon. So its a good idea
NOT to run programs that'll automatically go out and reset the time on
your computer.

If you get several bad or incorrect boots, most EZBios will finally
boot to default, safe settings. This may have happened in your
situation.

Get a good battery...then we can continue.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Old January 29th 05, 06:41 PM
Tanya

hi and thank you for replying!
[...below...]

w_tom wrote:

What to measure and limits for those numbers are provided in
alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004
at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

i have the aptiva 2159-s90 technical manual (i cannot test all of the
connectors)

Voltage numbers should be in upper 3/4 limits of those
limits. If all voltages are OK when computer is powered off
and powered on (purple wire always provide voltage which is
why power cord must be removed before fixing anything from
computer).

i think they are... (need to double-check the manual)

Once the power supply system (it contains three separate
parts) is demonstrated OK (by numbers), only then do we move
on to other usual suspects. Meanwhile, get comprehensive
diagnostics for that IBM. Next will be to test hardware
without the complications of software (such as Windows and
drivers). I believe IBM called them "Advanced Diagnostics".

i have the cd-rom but it does not test accurately (it won't test the hd since
it is 30 gbs and the original was ~ 1 gb)
also it only tests 32 mbs of mem (what it came with -- not what it has now
which is 96 mbs)

Either they are on disk drive, on a separate diskette, or can
be downloaded from IBM web site. All responsible computer
manufacturers provide comprehensive diagnostics for free -
which suggests a benchmark that some other manufacturers do
not meet.

unfortunately they have not updated their diagnostics (in fact it gives y2k
errors)
do you know of a 3rd party one?

Unfortunately there has been too many changes without first
collecting data. Failure to first collect data may be the
'death knell' because I recall a reference to Ez-Bios. IOW
important information for Ez-Bios may have been destroyed by
resetting CMOS without first recording important numbers. One
never fixes anything until all critical data is collected.
This is but one example why. You would not believe how
complex a problem can be created by Ez-Bios IF we don't have
correct information on that unique version of Ez-Bios (also
applies to other Bios Extenders).

i have the diskette -- i'll post back w/ it HOWEVER it lost cmos settings (or
that was 1 of the post-start-up errors) BEFORE i replaced the battery
(following replacing it, it wouldn't boot (not even into the cmos settings) so
that is why i tried to clear cmos -- and then it booted to errors)
it's settings are defaulting back to whatever (HOWEVER, i changed the boot
order (which was totally off) and it recovered ezBIOS and is in windows but is
EXTREMELY slow...

Any rate, get those power supply numbers and report back.
Even if you don't know what those numbers are, still, those
numbers make it possible for the learned to do more than 'wild
speculation'. Previously, too many posters were doing just
that - wildly speculating. First get facts.

he
P1
(right-left)
yellow: 5.00
red: 5.01
orange: 11.71
blue-grey: -11.82
black (both) -0.00

P2
(left - right)
off-white / beige: 5.01
red (3) all are 5.01
black : 0.00
black -0.00

connectorsleft-right)
zip-drive (which is not working)
orange (left) 11.71
grnds (black): -0.00
red: 5.01

hd1 (2'ary / slave)
same as for the zip

i cannot test the master drive the probe doesn't fit
finally, the master drive covers the psu specs and i have to look in the
manual

again, thanks
sincerely
Tanya

Old January 29th 05, 07:03 PM
w_tom

Since colors do not match what should be ATX power supply wires, I
suspect this is an AT type machine. Is this a 486 computer or an
computer not using PCI cards?

One voltage is wrong because I believe it should have read -5 volts
and not +5 volts. The + 12 and -12 volts are both too low. Normally
this would means doing the next step for excessive ripple voltage
(which requires better equipment). However + and - 12 volts don't
drive anything critical on AT type computers. This post will continue
on an assumption it is an AT type computer - noting that if it is an
ATX computer, then it might be a severely questionable - probably
defective - power supply. But we assume it is AT.

Anything that is IBM original checks out just fine with those
diagnostics from IBM. Rarely do diagnostics get updated when they are
working fine - Y2K not really considered important.

But for added peripherals such as CD-rom or hard drive, then you must
download the diagnostics from the manufacturer of that peripheral.

A 30 gig drive in an older computer like this means the computer is
probably using some type of Bios Extender - Ez-Bios or whatever that
hard drive manufacturer provided. You must identify that Bios Extender
and obtain operational details. For example, some require the BIOS to
be set to a non-standard setting. If you did as so many others want -
fix this and fix that rather than first collect facts - then it is
possible you have lost what is the unique settings for that Bios
Extender program (that is loaded on the hard drive).

Generally Bios Extender programs would announce themselves when
computer first booted normally. Software is often provided by hard
drive manufacturer on manufacturer's web site. But at any rate,
discover if and what that Bios Extender is. Normally your computer
(check the manual) would only understand hard drives of maybe 8 Gig
max. To see a 30 Gig drive, unique software such as a Bios Extender,
or an ISA slot card that provides extended Bios, or a hard drive
interface card with that Bios Extender must be somewhere in that
machine.

Diagnostics from hard drive manufacturer might help to identify that
Bios Extender.

Also what can provide useful information is to boot machine with DOS
(if possible) and run the MS provided program called FDISK. Don't do
anything that would fix or modify the drive. Just select the option
that would read drive information ... to learn how that drive is setup.
And yes, this assumes you can boot DOS.

BTW, when we are all done, you want to record these unique setting on
Post-It notes and mount those notes inside the machine.

Now if I understand your original post - which I never really saw -
you can boot from floppy but not from hard drive? I was never sure
what did boot and how failed booting failed. Which OS does and does
not boot how? If this is a Windows 95 machine, then it does not see
the 30 Gig hard drive. Windows 95 is limited to hard drive of only 2
Gigs (if I remember correctly). So you can see how I find some of your
information contradictary.

At any rate, barring a missing negative sign and assuming this is an
AT type machine, the power supply would be sufficient meaning we move
on to other suspects. I am very suspicious of how that hard drive is
configured and suspect a Bios Extender - which sometimes makes
complexity.

Old January 30th 05, 12:07 AM
Tanya

hi thanks again for replying!
[...below...]

w_tom wrote:

Since colors do not match what should be ATX power supply wires, I
suspect this is an AT type machine. Is this a 486 computer or an
computer not using PCI cards?

it's a pentium 200 mhz mmx.
it is NOT an ATX (it does not have the *normal AT* form factor (i can look
it up) however the psu should behave like an AT psu)

One voltage is wrong because I believe it should have read -5 volts
and not +5 volts.

i will retest it (i unhooked the zip drive (which is not working) and the
slave hard drive just now and it only reached the ibm splash screen
(counted video, cache and system ram -- accurately) then stopped (no POST
no beep code and it won't even read the boot disk nor let me into the bios)

The + 12 and -12 volts are both too low. Normally
this would means doing the next step for excessive ripple voltage
(which requires better equipment). However + and - 12 volts don't
drive anything critical on AT type computers.

actually what i have read is that the -12 volts is for isa devices and this
pc has the media console controller card (which is isa)
(the media console is a 3rd piece -- it has the cd-rom drive, the floppy
drive and the power switch in it -- connects to the card (via a cable))
i'll redo the voltages i also found the service manual which has the
correct ones (the colors are different from ats that i have seen)

This post will continue
on an assumption it is an AT type computer - noting that if it is an
ATX computer, then it might be a severely questionable - probably
defective - power supply. But we assume it is AT.

Anything that is IBM original checks out just fine with those
diagnostics from IBM. Rarely do diagnostics get updated when they are
working fine - Y2K not really considered important.

except that it only tests 32 MBs of ram and did not test the 30 gb maxtor
drive but tested only 3.2 gbs of the slave (ibm) drive (which is 6.4 gbs)
i'll try it on the off chance the pc will start gain

But for added peripherals such as CD-rom or hard drive, then you must
download the diagnostics from the manufacturer of that peripheral.

the cd-rom, floppy drive, psu, cpu and 2 of the 4 simms are original.
(the board was replaced supposidly in 1999)

A 30 gig drive in an older computer like this means the computer is
probably using some type of Bios Extender - Ez-Bios or whatever that
hard drive manufacturer provided. You must identify that Bios Extender
and obtain operational details. For example, some require the BIOS to
be set to a non-standard setting. If you did as so many others want -
fix this and fix that rather than first collect facts - then it is
possible you have lost what is the unique settings for that Bios
Extender program (that is loaded on the hard drive).

i used max-blast (hard drive install utility (version 1.26s)) on the 30 gb
maxtor (in 2000) -- there was nothing in the bios to change...
it's on a floppy disk

Generally Bios Extender programs would announce themselves when
computer first booted normally.

it always announced ezBIOS right after passing the POST. (but i had not see
the ezBIOS text since i replaced the battery 2 days ago)
this morning after changing the boot order ezBIOS appeared again.

Software is often provided by hard
drive manufacturer on manufacturer's web site. But at any rate,
discover if and what that Bios Extender is. Normally your computer
(check the manual) would only understand hard drives of maybe 8 Gig
max.

it only sees a bit over 8 gb (in the bios -- always) but windows sees all
30 gbs

To see a 30 Gig drive, unique software such as a Bios Extender,
or an ISA slot card that provides extended Bios, or a hard drive
interface card with that Bios Extender must be somewhere in that
machine.

it is a diskette.

Diagnostics from hard drive manufacturer might help to identify that
Bios Extender.

i don't know whether maxtor still exists... i was using a 3rd party diag on
some baby ats but cannot recall what it was called but it was good

Also what can provide useful information is to boot machine with DOS
(if possible) and run the MS provided program called FDISK.

i cannot do that right now... b/c of the above

Don't do
anything that would fix or modify the drive. Just select the option
that would read drive information ... to learn how that drive is setup.
And yes, this assumes you can boot DOS.

BTW, when we are all done, you want to record these unique setting on
Post-It notes and mount those notes inside the machine.

i have them (aside from the pnp menu -- this is an ibm bios "ibm surepath
setup utility" -- it is not like award or others)

Now if I understand your original post - which I never really saw -
you can boot from floppy but not from hard drive?

now i can't but before removing the zip and slave i was able to boot to a
floppy and then changed the start-up order (which had changed on its own to
the following: 1st and 2nd floppy, 3rd disabled and 4th was listed as the
cd/dvd rom.)
i changed it to1st = floppy, 2nd = hd, 3rd = cd-rom) THEN it booted into
windows....

I was never sure
what did boot and how failed booting failed. Which OS does and does
not boot how?

currently none (i have windows95B installed)

If this is a Windows 95 machine, then it does not see
the 30 Gig hard drive. Windows 95 is limited to hard drive of only 2
Gigs (if I remember correctly). So you can see how I find some of your
information contradictary.

i am sorry for the vagueness...
(i think it's 8 gbs but in windows it sees (saw) all 30 gbs... (the slave
drive was always recognized as 6.4 gbs in the bios and in windows))

At any rate, barring a missing negative sign and assuming this is an
AT type machine, the power supply would be sufficient meaning we move
on to other suspects. I am very suspicious of how that hard drive is
configured and suspect a Bios Extender - which sometimes makes
complexity.

i appreciate your reply VERY MUCH...
i'm going to retest the psu (and compare to the tech manual)
the master has a power connector which has the 4 wires going through it
(i.e. is a pass through -- unlike connectors that end in the device)
i don't know where to put the probe???

THANKS!
sincerely
Tanya

Old January 30th 05, 03:16 AM
Tanya

snip
here are the corrected psu readings (from the manual)
(the voltages in (...) are the specified ranges)

(they are referred to as 1-12 although there are 2 separate connectors into
the board)
1 = power good (5.00 v)
2 = 5.04 (3.75-6.25)
3 = 11.71 (9 - 15)
4 = - 11.87 (-9 to - 15)
5 , 6, 7 (grounds) but are -0.00
8 = (ground) 0.00
9 = -5.01 (-3.75 to - 6.25)
10, 11, 12 = 5.01 (3.75 to 6.25)

the hd connector
1 = 11.71 (12 volts)
2 and 3 are grounds)
4 = 5 (5 volts)
(both connectors were equal)
i CANNOT test the power to the media console controller card... not even
sure how to remove it -- (since it has the power switch, the a-drive and
floppy drive) it is sort of square (however the manual has wire 1 as 5
volts and wire 4 as 12 volts)
any suggestions?
thanks
sincerely
Tanya

Old January 30th 05, 03:33 AM
Tanya

hi Trent©
thanks for replying...
[...below...]
"Trent©" wrote:

ibm aptiva 2159-s90 (1997; split system;

What's a 'split system'?

has media console (aka access station) (a-drive, floppy drive and power
switch)
goes (via a cable) to the media console controller card which is in an isa
slot on the board.

win95B) SUDDENLY for no reason,
had post-start-up errors (date and time change (they hadn't changed)

What do you mean 'they hadn't changed'?

they were correct for the time and date (the numbers in the cmos settings.)
it was jan 27th at 9:00 am (which is what the pc bios stated)
?

How many floppy drives do you have? What size are they?

one: 1.44 mb 3.5"

the floppy was fine (basically)

What do you mean 'basically'?

hardware wise it was great. worked

i changed the battery last pm and it
wouldn't pass the post (at all)

What do you mean 'wouldn't pass the post'? What EXACTLY happened?
Any error messages?

the early ibm aptivas used the ibm bios called "the ibm surepath setup
utility" i thought that perhaps someone reading this post would have one and
or know how to set them to default.......
error messages:
"162 Configuration Change has occurred"
"163 Date and Time Incorrect"
"1802 adapter card resource error"
etc.

cleared the cmos (paper btwn clip and battery overnight)

You clear the BIOS by use of a jumper...and then only momentarily.

not on this one you don't.

Go
get a new batter from Radio Shack and put it in.

i did that 2 days ago

It seems like the
battery is the biggest part of your problem so far.

i wish

many post-start-up errors (some phantom)

it had error messages that weren't actually true for example: it would
display an error that the floppy drive was not present(but the cmos settings
the floppy was present and set up right)

currently: the cd-rom (in the media console)

What is a 'media console'?

above

Try another cd and see if the rom can read it.

the post-start-up error now is: "adapter card resource error" which i
think refers to the media console controller card (since it's in an isa
slot)
i have NO CLUE what to do about that.

Most of your problems probably have come about because your EZBios has
reset itself to the default settings.

it did not reset itself.

i need to test the psu

Do this...

Get the CMOS battery...put it in. Then disconnect the hard drive.
Then boot the machine into the BIOS...and make sure all the settings
are correct for your machine. Then power down...unplug...and plug in
all drives. Record any error messages you may get...and get back to
us.

When the CMOS battery is getting low, you'll start to lose time on the
computer (other things can cause this also, however). This is a good
warning that you should replace the battery soon. So its a good idea
NOT to run programs that'll automatically go out and reset the time on
your computer.

If you get several bad or incorrect boots, most EZBios will finally
boot to default, safe settings. This may have happened in your
situation.

Get a good battery...then we can continue.

what next?

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Old January 30th 05, 12:53 PM
Trent©

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:33:24 -0500, Tanya
wrote:

Get a good battery...then we can continue.

what next?

I think you may have drained your battery the other day.

If the battery is working properly, you should not be loosing any time
when you have the computer turned off for a few hours or so. So check
that part.

Recap for us. Exactly what problems are you still having?

One bit of information for you...

The BIOS is an area of your computer where YOU tell the computer what
hardware you have...and how to configure it...along with some other
configurable settings. And then the computer uses that information in
its boot process. In general, the computer does NOT detect your
hardware (except in some cases, especially on a computer as old as
yours) and tell you what you have. YOU tell the computer what you
have. The exceptions started with the advent of IDE auto detect, etc.

I say this because you talked of 'phantom' errors...on the floppy
drive, for instance. This is probably NOT a phantom error.

You tell the computer...in the BIOS...that you have a 3 1/2" floppy.
You boot up the computer...but have a loose cable that yer not aware
of. You'll get an error message if the drive is not detected.

In like manner...you can put in a 10 gig drive...and tell the computer
that you actually have a 6 gig drive. The computer will boot...and
you'll have a 6 gig drive.

The same is true of other hardware and ports. For instance, you can
tell the computer that you don't have a printer port...by not enabling
it in the CMOS. When you boot, you won't be able to print.

Get back to us as to where you stand now...what problems you have.

P.S. You DON'T have a PSU problem...so don't mess with it.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Old January 30th 05, 08:36 PM
Tanya

thank you again for the reply...
[...below...]

wrote:

Get a good battery...then we can continue.

what next?

I think you may have drained your battery the other day.

?

If the battery is working properly, you should not be loosing any time
when you have the computer turned off for a few hours or so. So check
that part.

it has not had the date and time error (since it successfully booted
yesterday (?2 days ago?) -- i've lost track :-) so i guess that the new
battery is functioning as it should

Recap for us. Exactly what problems are you still having?

1. NO post start up errors.
2. it is running EXTREMELY slowly (i am running my antiviral scan which i
started over 2 hours ago) it has NEVER taken this long!
(now it is still running THREE hours later -- it has to finish of course
but there are "no infections" listed yet???)
3. the bios settings have reset themselves (i see what you wrote below) i
am just trying to be accurate (it's a Pnp BIOS)

for example i have a 30 gb maxtor hd (i have print outs of the CMOS
settings prior to several days ago) it was set to ENABLE read prefetch AND
disk BIOS translation WAS LBA
HOWEVER currently, read preFetch is DISabled AND disk BIOS translation is
CHS?????
ALSO numLock is USUALLY on by default (the keyBoard light is usually on
but now it is off.)
(when one boots, the numLock light is off and should be on)
i do not have any explanation for the above values........

One bit of information for you...

The BIOS is an area of your computer where YOU tell the computer what
hardware you have...and how to configure it...along with some other
configurable settings. And then the computer uses that information in
its boot process. In general, the computer does NOT detect your
hardware (except in some cases, especially on a computer as old as
yours) and tell you what you have. YOU tell the computer what you
have. The exceptions started with the advent of IDE auto detect, etc.

i actually do not tell it what to do
(ex: adding memory years ago -- it auto detected it without me having to
set it)

I say this because you talked of 'phantom' errors...on the floppy
drive, for instance. This is probably NOT a phantom error.

i believe that i am confusing things -- perhaps just forget the "phantom
errors"
(this bios is NOT like others, it is called "ibm surepath setup utility"
-- it is different from award, amiBIOS(?), phoenix, etc.)

You tell the computer...in the BIOS...that you have a 3 1/2" floppy.
You boot up the computer...but have a loose cable that yer not aware
of. You'll get an error message if the drive is not detected.

In like manner...you can put in a 10 gig drive...and tell the computer
that you actually have a 6 gig drive. The computer will boot...and
you'll have a 6 gig drive.

The same is true of other hardware and ports. For instance, you can
tell the computer that you don't have a printer port...by not enabling
it in the CMOS. When you boot, you won't be able to print.

i just want to be accurate: it was running well -- and without touching
it, downloading things, changing h/w/ s/w etc (i.e. with NO provocation --
sorry:-)
it began eliciting error messages (instead of the usual POST pass (1 beep)
it gave 2, and the aforementioned errors on the screen))

Get back to us as to where you stand now...what problems you have.

P.S. You DON'T have a PSU problem...so don't mess with it.

good to know

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

i really appreciate your help and patience!
sincerely
Tanya

Trent©