What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

Old December 14th 20, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On 12/3/20 9:09 PM, Roger Blake wrote:
And now I see I'm responding to something from like a year and a half
ago. D'oh!

Don't feel bad, Roger. I just came across this newsgroup myself.

I use three printers, all HP. There's a Deskjet 5650, an Officejet 6100,
and a color Laserjet 1215.

The Laserjet is most certainly the newest, because it is USB 2.0. It was
a gift a couple of years ago, because it no longer met the needs of a
nephew's workplace.

Because it has both USB and parallel ports I believe the Deskjet is the
oldest, but I'm not sure. Both of the inkjets use the same print engine,
and the HP 56, 57, and/or 58 cartridges. I purchased both of them used,
on eBay.

All three work beautifully with Mageia Linux, as well as with a Windows
XP guest in VirtualBox.

TJ
Old December 14th 20, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 02:09:41 +0000, Roger Blake wrote:

And now I see I'm responding to something from like a year and a half
ago. D'oh!

For the record, I have a 1993 LaserJet 4+ with Postscript upgrade.
Old December 16th 20, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2020-12-14, TJ wrote:
Don't feel bad, Roger. I just came across this newsgroup myself.

I've seen people respond to posts from decades ago, so I don't feel
too bad about it.

I use three printers, all HP. There's a Deskjet 5650, an Officejet 6100,
and a color Laserjet 1215.

The Laserjet is most certainly the newest, because it is USB 2.0. It was
a gift a couple of years ago, because it no longer met the needs of a
nephew's workplace.

USB didn't even exist when my old Panasonic dot-matrix printer was made!
These days I use it with a USB-to-Centronics converter cable.

I did manage a kind of fix for the deteriorated platen rubber. I cut out
the damaged section and glued in a plastic strip cut from a flexible
CD cover. It has just the right amount of stiffness with a little bit
of give for the print head to work. I'd still like to find a suitable
strip of hard rubber somewhere to replace the entire platen insert
since I'm sure it will deteriorate further.

I also have an Epson MX-80 with an RS232 serial interface, bought well
before the Panasonic. That was purchased to use with an "Interact"
8080-based home computer system, a failed microcomputer from the
first wave of home computers circa 1980. Although I still have them,
the Interact and the MX-80 have not been switched on in many years and
it's doubtful they would still work.

The US Census, what info must you give? -- http://censusfacts.info
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org