Power Conversion Electronics

Old April 26th 09, 10:20 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
pg[_2_]

Default Power Conversion Electronics

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating of over 0.96,
which, according to some indicators, means it's 96% efficient. (4%
wastage as heat).

Since it's a new unit I dare not to open up the PSU to see what type
of electronics they are using.

So I post the question here ----

Can anyone tell me what type of Power Conversion Electronic Devices
they use in those high PFC rating PSU?

Thank you all !!!
Old April 26th 09, 10:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Ken[_7_]

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 02:20:26 -0700 (PDT), pg
wrote:

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating
of over 0.96, which, according to some indicators,
means it's 96% efficient. (4% wastage as heat).

PFC and efficiency are not the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_correction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_...ion_efficiency

Old April 26th 09, 01:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Eeyore

pg wrote:

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating of over 0.96,
which, according to some indicators, means it's 96% efficient. (4%
wastage as heat).

Incorrect. It has nothing to do with efficiency.

Since it's a new unit I dare not to open up the PSU to see what type
of electronics they are using.

So I post the question here ----

Can anyone tell me what type of Power Conversion Electronic Devices
they use in those high PFC rating PSU?

Download an application note say from I.R.

Graham

Old April 26th 09, 01:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
pg[_2_]

wrote:

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating
of over 0.96, which, according to some indicators,
means it's 96% efficient. (4% wastage as heat).

PFC and efficiency are not the same thing.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_f...ion_efficiency

Many thanks for the info !!
Old April 26th 09, 01:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
david

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 02:20:26 -0700, pg rearranged some electrons to say:

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating of over 0.96,
which, according to some indicators, means it's 96% efficient. (4%
wastage as heat).

Since it's a new unit I dare not to open up the PSU to see what type of
electronics they are using.

So I post the question here ----

Can anyone tell me what type of Power Conversion Electronic Devices they
use in those high PFC rating PSU?

Thank you all !!!

0.96 power factor does not mean 96% efficient. But, to answer your
question, active power factor correction means that the front end of the
power supply tries to keep the phase between the voltage and current
waveforms as small as possible.
Old April 26th 09, 05:33 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
MooseFET

On Apr 26, 5:32*am, david wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 02:20:26 -0700, pg rearranged some electrons to say:

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating of over 0.96,
which, according to some indicators, means it's 96% efficient. (4%
wastage as heat).

Since it's a new unit I dare not to open up the PSU to see what type of
electronics they are using.

So I post the question here ----

Can anyone tell me what type of Power Conversion Electronic Devices they
use in those high PFC rating PSU?

Thank you all !!!

0.96 power factor does not mean 96% efficient. *But, to answer your
question, *active power factor correction means that the front end of the
power supply tries to keep the phase between the voltage and current
waveforms as small as possible.

It also tries not to draw any current at harmonics. It is unfortunate
that one term is now used for two effects but we are stuck with it.
Old April 26th 09, 06:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Tim Williams

On Apr 26, 11:33*am, MooseFET wrote:
It also tries not to draw any current at harmonics. *It is unfortunate
that one term is now used for two effects but we are stuck with it.

Displacement Factor is the fudamental only.

Tim
Old April 26th 09, 07:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
UCLAN[_2_]

pg wrote:

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating of over 0.96,
which, according to some indicators, means it's 96% efficient. (4%
wastage as heat).

Since it's a new unit I dare not to open up the PSU to see what type
of electronics they are using.

So I post the question here ----

Can anyone tell me what type of Power Conversion Electronic Devices
they use in those high PFC rating PSU?

Please do not confuse Power Factor Correction (PFC) with power supply
efficiency. They are two separate items. PFC can be either active or
passive, but usually alters the highly capacitive input of SMPSs.

Google "PFC".
Old April 27th 09, 03:22 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Phil Allison

"UCLAN"

Please do not confuse Power Factor Correction (PFC) with power supply
efficiency. They are two separate items.

** OK so far.

PFC can be either active or passive,

** Hmmmm...

but usually alters the highly capacitive input of SMPSs.

** TOTAL ******** !!!

They are not capacitive, there is no phase angle.

Active PFCs correct WAVEFORM distortion.

....... Phil

Old April 27th 09, 03:27 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:22:11 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"UCLAN"

Please do not confuse Power Factor Correction (PFC) with power supply
efficiency. They are two separate items.

** OK so far.

PFC can be either active or passive,

** Hmmmm...

but usually alters the highly capacitive input of SMPSs.

They are not capacitive, there is no phase angle.

Active PFCs correct WAVEFORM distortion.

...... Phil

Take you meds and lie down for a while. What he said was perfectly
reasonable.

John