Real-world ink longevity test

Old August 20th 07, 02:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Default Real-world ink longevity test

I printed a copy of a one-page magazine article about my father for his
funeral 13 months ago. The article included both text and a color photo.
I used an HP PSC 2110 printer, Kodak Premium Picture Paper, and HP ink
cartridges that I had refilled numerous times with aftermarket ink.
Since the funeral, the print has been hanging on our living room wall,
framed in a dollar store frame and behind glass. While it is a bright
room, the spot where the print hangs does not receive direct sunlight at
any time.

So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print looks
as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully expect it to
look good for years to come.

Accelerated tests of the type done by many labs and/or magazines would
have you believe that aftermarket ink starts fading practically before
it finishes drying. Nothing could be further from the truth. With just a
moderate amount of care, aftermarket ink can last a good, long, time.
With poor care, even OEM ink will fade quickly.

TJ

Old August 20th 07, 02:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

TJ wrote:
[...]

We have hundreds upon hundreds of photos printed with after market ink
and they ALL look as good as the day they were printed. Based on my
personal experience, any difference that exists between OEM and after
market ink used in Canon printers is inconsequential to the average user.
Old August 20th 07, 02:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 19, 9:29 pm, TJ wrote:
[...]

Here here!

Way to go, TJ- The truth may well be that one can expect a somewhat
shorter life from aftermarket inks, but how much, really remains to be
seen.

I also hear that very few (if any) printer manufactures actually make
their own ink, and that the same ink manufacturer that sells ink to ,
lets say, Canon, will sell the same ink to a reseller to be considered
"after market".

I will say this, though- the difference in price makes me feel happy
about having to reprint the picture in another five years, if needed.

I also cant help but think that in another 10 years, we will probably
have electronic photo frames replacing prints, as the cost keeps
dropping.

I can buy an 8x10 here in Toronto for under $200, and I bet in another
year, it will be around $80.

I use aftermarket dye based ink for my continuous ink system, and buy
pigment ink from inksupply.com. Very happy with all I have.

Old August 20th 07, 03:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

TJ wrote:

So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print looks
as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully expect it to
look good for years to come.

TJ, would you be kind enough to tell us what brand of ink you used
and/or who the seller was.

I'd really appreciate this. Thanks.

Richard
Old August 20th 07, 03:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 19, 10:03 pm, Richard Steinfeld
wrote:
TJ wrote:

So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print looks
as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully expect it to
look good for years to come.

TJ, would you be kind enough to tell us what brand of ink you used
and/or who the seller was.

I'd really appreciate this. Thanks.

Richard

I buy my dye based ink from asc365.com and the pigment from www.inksupply.com-
I am looking for a Canadian supplier of pigment ink, that can supply
B&W ink as well.

ASC365.com is located in Markham, Ontario. Inksupply.com in Michigan.

Old August 20th 07, 04:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

DK wrote:
TJ wrote:
[...]

Of course it is OK after a year - it is under glass! Not that there is
anyhting wrong with refilling but thus far every single test I am aware
of has been pretty unequivocal: aftermarket inks fade faster,
sometimes a lot faster, than OEM from reputable vendors (Epson,
Canon).

Every single print I have produced using after market ink has not faded
at all. Now I don't store them on the dash board of my truck but I also
don't hermetically seal them either. The problem with the tests I have
reviewed is they usually don't test the better after market inks. Also,
many of these tests are done to have a predetermined outcome which is
why they use the more inferior after market inks to test against the OEM
inks. Besides, if I ever do have a print that fades then all I need to
do is print another one. I am willing to get 95%+ of durability of OEM
ink to save 85% of its cost. A good trade, IMO.
Old August 20th 07, 05:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 19, 10:40 pm, Michael Johnson wrote:
DK wrote:
TJ wrote:
[...]

I just responded on a different post the price difference-

$2.17 in ink for a borderless 8.5x11 vs .17¢.

How is that for saving? (using a continuous ink system)

Old August 20th 07, 05:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

"DK" wrote in message
| TJ wrote:

| I printed a copy of a one-page magazine article about my father for his
| funeral 13 months ago. The article included both text and a color photo.
| I used an HP PSC 2110 printer, Kodak Premium Picture Paper, and HP ink
| cartridges that I had refilled numerous times with aftermarket ink.
| Since the funeral, the print has been hanging on our living room wall,
| framed in a dollar store frame and behind glass. While it is a bright
| room, the spot where the print hangs does not receive direct sunlight at
| any time.
|
| So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print looks
| as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully expect it to
| look good for years to come.
|
| Accelerated tests of the type done by many labs and/or magazines would
| have you believe that aftermarket ink starts fading practically before
| it finishes drying. Nothing could be further from the truth. With just a
| moderate amount of care, aftermarket ink can last a good, long, time.
| With poor care, even OEM ink will fade quickly.
|
| Of course it is OK after a year - it is under glass! Not that there is
| anything wrong with refilling but thus far every single test I am aware
| of has been pretty unequivocal: aftermarket inks fade faster,
| sometimes a lot faster, than OEM from reputable vendors (Epson,
| Canon).

I would question the test. Recall that the tobacco companies published
studies out the kazoo that smoking was not harmful.
They even had physicians offering personal endorsements.

FWIW even hand painted oils deteriorate, the rate depends on the more on the
environment and care than on the materials used.

Old August 20th 07, 05:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 19, 11:18 pm, "NotMe" wrote:
"DK" wrote in message

| TJ wrote:

| I printed a copy of a one-page magazine article about my father for his
| funeral 13 months ago. The article included both text and a color photo.
| I used an HP PSC 2110 printer, Kodak Premium Picture Paper, and HP ink
| cartridges that I had refilled numerous times with aftermarket ink.
| Since the funeral, the print has been hanging on our living room wall,
| framed in a dollar store frame and behind glass. While it is a bright
| room, the spot where the print hangs does not receive direct sunlight at
| any time.
|
| So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print looks
| as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully expect it to
| look good for years to come.
|
| Accelerated tests of the type done by many labs and/or magazines would
| have you believe that aftermarket ink starts fading practically before
| it finishes drying. Nothing could be further from the truth. With just a
| moderate amount of care, aftermarket ink can last a good, long, time.
| With poor care, even OEM ink will fade quickly.
|
| Of course it is OK after a year - it is under glass! Not that there is
| anything wrong with refilling but thus far every single test I am aware
| of has been pretty unequivocal: aftermarket inks fade faster,
| sometimes a lot faster, than OEM from reputable vendors (Epson,
| Canon).

I would question the test. Recall that the tobacco companies published
studies out the kazoo that smoking was not harmful.
They even had physicians offering personal endorsements.

FWIW even hand painted oils deteriorate, the rate depends on the more on the
environment and care than on the materials used.

If its your livelyhood, and you are selling your work- buy original
ink cartridges (unless you are sure you are doing the right thing
with reliable ink, of course)

Otherwise for those of us who print as a hobby- Screw the printer
companies- ask some of us who feel the ink is reliable for a
recommendation on where to buy.

And if someone tells you you will loose your warranty on your brand
new $69 printer- ask him to buy the next set of cartridges at $80 or
ask him if he doesnt mind if you throw the printer in his back yard,
(as the land fill sites are too full of cartridges and printers) when
it is out of ink so you can buy a new one at $69 and save $20.

Printers are not like cell phones- you have a choice!

Please vote for a choice!

Old August 20th 07, 05:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

TJ wrote:
I printed a copy of a one-page magazine article about my father for
his funeral 13 months ago. The article included both text and a color
photo. I used an HP PSC 2110 printer, Kodak Premium Picture Paper, and
HP ink cartridges that I had refilled numerous times with aftermarket
ink. Since the funeral, the print has been hanging on our living room
wall, framed in a dollar store frame and behind glass. While it is a
bright room, the spot where the print hangs does not receive direct
sunlight at any time.

So far, there has been no discernible fading whatsoever. The print
looks as good to me today as it did the day I printed it. I fully
expect it to look good for years to come.

Accelerated tests of the type done by many labs and/or magazines would
have you believe that aftermarket ink starts fading practically before
it finishes drying.

That certainly is true.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

That certainly is false.