which ink is likely to run out first?

Old July 29th 07, 05:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default which ink is likely to run out first?

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Old July 29th 07, 06:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John McWilliams

wrote in :

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Yellow.

Black.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 29th 07, 07:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nicolaas Hawkins

wrote in :

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Yellow.

Black.

You didn't read the question, did you?
It was:
"I have to project which ink tanks are going to need replacement first.
My guess is large black...followed by which colors? "

--
Nicolaas.

2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

.... There is no such thing as an atheist in a firefight.
Old July 29th 07, 07:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I didn't check to see what ink set the Canon MP600 uses, but the ink use
depends upon your use. If you will be printing a lot of text, then
black is likely to be used up first.

However, if you will be printing images, depending on the ink set, the
typical use is as such:

In six color printers, the light (photo) magenta and light (photo) cyan
will be first, followed by yellow, magenta and cyan.

If it is a 4 color model, then yellow, magenta, and then cyan. The cyan
and magenta usually run out about the same time, and it depends upon
your use. If it has two black, pigment and photo black, the pigment
black gets used for text, the other black for photo or color work. It
usually lasts the longest.

Art

Old July 29th 07, 11:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jim Ford

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

I fitted a CIS to my printer about 2 months ago. I've noticed the yellow
is going down the fastest, closely followed by light magenta, then light
cyan, then cyan and magenta. Black is the last. I print mainly wild
flowers and landscapes.

Jim Ford
Old July 29th 07, 03:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Barry Watzman

While black is most used by volume, the black cartidge is also larger
.... FAR larger, usually more than twice the size of the color cartriges
(by ink volume), so the black cartridge may last longer than other
colors, even though you are using more black ink.

Personally, on my HP printer, I'm using both Cyan and Magenta more
rapidly than yellow. But it literally depends on what you print.

Old July 29th 07, 06:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John McWilliams

wrote in :

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan
Yellow.

Black.

You didn't read the question, did you?

I failed in reading the last lines.

It was:
"I have to project which ink tanks are going to need replacement first.
My guess is large black...followed by which colors? "

Ever so important for you to have pointed this out.

--
lsmft
Old July 29th 07, 07:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mary

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
I didn't check to see what ink set the Canon MP600 uses, but the ink use
depends upon your use. If you will be printing a lot of text, then
black is likely to be used up first.

However, if you will be printing images, depending on the ink set, the
typical use is as such:

In six color printers, the light (photo) magenta and light (photo) cyan
will be first, followed by yellow, magenta and cyan.

If it is a 4 color model, then yellow, magenta, and then cyan. The cyan
and magenta usually run out about the same time, and it depends upon
your use. If it has two black, pigment and photo black, the pigment
black gets used for text, the other black for photo or color work. It
usually lasts the longest.

I have a 4 colour model and in general, I have found the above to be true. I
have two black - (one fat and one thin cartridge). Most times, the colour
runs out first even though I use colour and black about equal times. Can you
tell me, is my fat black cartridge for photo or text?

Mary

Old July 30th 07, 01:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Brendan R. Wehrung" wrote in message
I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Having read all the responses up to now, I can say that it depends entirely
on what you print most. If it is plain paper text based printing you will
be replacing the large black pigment-based cart. Even if you only print
black, plain paper, text based pages, however, the cleaning cycles that the
printer runs automatically will also eventually deplete the color carts as
well. If you print lots of photos the usual first cart to run out is yellow
(depending on what you are printing.)

Most of the discount coupons you receive from Office Depot or the other big
box office supply stores are for their own store brand of ink. There are
very few aftermarket carts available for these newer Canon printers that
have chipped carts. These carts are refillable and there are some
internet-based vendors with good inks especially formulated for these
printers. If you are so inclined to refill them you can find out about the
few good inks and vendors on this ng and on the Nifty-stuff forum. Pay no
attention to Measekite who tries to dissuade people from considering
aftermarket inks. He has no experience with them but responds with the old,
tired, biased statements that others with experience with these products can
personally refute.

The best solution to your question is to buy a complete extra set of carts.
You will then have the one that runs out regardless of which one it is. I
always have at least one spare of each color on hand. This also gives you
the opportunity to refill the carts as they become empty and have them on
standby. BETTER YET, if you see an ip4300 on an exceptional sale -
something under $100, you will pay little more than the cost of the ink
carts it comes with (it uses the same carts as your mP600) and you will then
have a spare printhead (the same in both printers) for you mp600 and/or an
extra printer on hand in case yours fails!