compaq Desktop pc info required

Old December 27th 05, 04:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default compaq Desktop pc info required

i have aquired (legally) a desktop pc from a college due to upgrades. It has
a celeron 600mhz processor and a 10 gig hd. I can not find any model numbers
as such on the case but it does have a sticker with the following:
ENS/C600/10e/8/64

I assume that c600 is the model number?
My question is, what is the biggest hard disk this system will support, the
fastest processor and the max ram ( has 3 slots and system shows as a total
of 192 so prob got 3 sticks of 64) it will support? had a look on compaq
site but can find nothing using the ENS tag from above...
Also does anyone have a pdf manual for the hardware?

Cheers
harvy

Old December 27th 05, 04:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

The computer would appear to be a DeskPro ENS model. The C600, 10e, and 64
refer to the configuration as originally shipped with Celeron 600, 10GB disk
drive and 64MB of memory.

The system should handle up to 512MB of memory. For sure, the fastest processor
would be a fairly rare 766MHz Celeron. Depending on the exact model, faster
CPUs are possible. I have successfully put 20GB drives into DeskPros from this
era, and I think a 40GB would work.

Can you describe the dimensions of computer? Is the CD-ROM drive a typical
desktop type or a smallish one often used in laptops? Knowing a little more
about the computer will help.

You may be able to find service information still available on the HP web site.
Search for DeskPro ENS... Ben Myers

Old December 27th 05, 06:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Looked for info on hp/compaq site- warranty info came back as follows
Product number 470002-372
Product line Commercial Desktop PCs
Product description ENS/C600/10e/8/64
Date of warranty check 26 Dec 2005

The case for the comp is a small desktop, full size cdrom+hdd+fdd
Been digging around some more in the case and it has a celeron 600mhz cup,
and 3 sticks of 64( could be updated later), and a 10gig hdd. The case
itself is quite cool ( well ive never seen one like it), at the front is the
hdd,cd-rom and fdd, all in a cage. The whole cage is on a hinge so can be
pulled away revealing the cpu underneath. the same is for the powersupply at
the rear. there is also a small cage with a board holding 3pci slots
horizontally, which plugs into the mainboard through what looks like a pci
slot to me.

The cpu socket has pga370a on it.

Should it handel 512 as a single stick or best to split it between the 3
slots?

Old December 27th 05, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

It is one of the late small form factor Socket 370 boxes made by Compaq.
2x256MB is best for memory. Unfortunately, Compaq was never very good about
describing the hard drive or CPU limits. I have installed a 20GB drive in one
of these. The best you can do is try and see. The CPU can certainly go up to a
933MHz Pentium III or one of the 1GHz higher voltage (1.65v or 1.7v) Celerons.
Beyond that is questionable, because the motherboard may not have the voltage
regulation circuits to support the faster and lower voltage Socket 370
processors... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:44:15 -0000, "me" wrote:

Looked for info on hp/compaq site- warranty info came back as follows
Product number 470002-372
Product line Commercial Desktop PCs
Product description ENS/C600/10e/8/64
Date of warranty check 26 Dec 2005

Old December 28th 05, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

cheers, got a 30gb drive about so will give that a go, and will see if i can
get hold of 1GHz p3 or therea buots and again test! will give an update on
how far i get!
Thanks for the help!
Harvy

[...]

Date of warranty check 26 Dec 2005

Old January 13th 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Put in a 1ggn processor ( markings are 1000/256/133/1.75V SL52R) and seems
to work, tho has a boot error:

"1801-Microcode Patch Error
Missing or Invalid Processor Microcode Patch. Please contact Compaq Computer
Corporation for a new rom bios to support the new processor stepping"

IT has "F1:Boot" in white on blue background, and when i press f1 it boots.

any ideas for the error? i assume it needs a bios update? if it does where
can i get it from? compaq web/tech support didnt even reply to my original
question!

[...]

Date of warranty check 26 Dec 2005

Old January 13th 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

me wrote:
Put in a 1ggn processor ( markings are 1000/256/133/1.75V SL52R) and seems
to work, tho has a boot error:

"1801-Microcode Patch Error
Missing or Invalid Processor Microcode Patch. Please contact Compaq Computer
Corporation for a new rom bios to support the new processor stepping"

IT has "F1:Boot" in white on blue background, and when i press f1 it boots.

any ideas for the error? i assume it needs a bios update? if it does where
can i get it from? compaq web/tech support didnt even reply to my original
question!

Did you update your bios before you put in the new processor?
Old January 13th 06, 04:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

With a lot of BIOSes, both name brand like Compaq and others, a BIOS update
either before or after installing the new CPU will fix a microcode issue. The
BIOS update could even be exactly the same BIOS revision as already in the
computer.

I have encountered exactly the same issues with a number of upgraded IBM desktop
and server computers over the years. The BIOS burps when it sees the new CPU,
runs perfectly after a so-called update... Ben Myers

Old January 13th 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...odel/1158.html

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 25th 05 10:34 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 21st 04 11:30 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 24th 04 02:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 17th 04 08:30 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM