computer log when external switch is flipped?

Old May 13th 09, 09:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David Deley

Default computer log when external switch is flipped?

How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside world? I'm
wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time when my USPS mailbox
gets opened. Which eventually translates to I have a wire with a hi/low
voltage for the mailbox is open/closed -- how do I connect that wire to
the computer? What sort of input port is suitable for such a thing?

And of course I'll need some software. (I hope I don't have to write
another device driver. It's been many years since I did that kind of
programming. Someone else must have already written something. Someone
else is probably already logging when their mailbox door is open/closed.)
Old May 13th 09, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Chant[_2_]

David Deley wrote:

How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside world? I'm
wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time when my USPS mailbox
gets opened. Which eventually translates to I have a wire with a hi/low
voltage for the mailbox is open/closed -- how do I connect that wire to
the computer? What sort of input port is suitable for such a thing?

And of course I'll need some software. (I hope I don't have to write
another device driver. It's been many years since I did that kind of
programming. Someone else must have already written something. Someone
else is probably already logging when their mailbox door is open/closed.)

Back in the DOS days the parallel port was quite useful for the odd digital
IO line. I presume someone makes USB digital IO cards nowadays -
presumably someone must make one that to the PC appears like a serial port.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old May 13th 09, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

David Deley wrote:
How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside world? I'm
wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time when my USPS mailbox
gets opened. Which eventually translates to I have a wire with a hi/low
voltage for the mailbox is open/closed -- how do I connect that wire to
the computer? What sort of input port is suitable for such a thing?

And of course I'll need some software. (I hope I don't have to write
another device driver. It's been many years since I did that kind of
programming. Someone else must have already written something. Someone
else is probably already logging when their mailbox door is open/closed.)

A parallel port is one interface. Another would be a hacked game controller
(game port interface). Game controllers have switches on them, for firing,
or selecting game options and so on. Both the old game port (15 pin) and
newer USB game paddles might be candidates.

The software interface would be a challenge. Companies in the business
of making devices like that, probably bundle software to make it easier
to use. Otherwise, you could need to do some programming of your own.
(For example, with the game controller, you'd find the game controller
API and program using it.)

http://www.eagledaq.com/display_product_2620.htm

Some other issues

1) Protecting your computer. Stringing a long wire and connecting it
directly to a computer port, is asking for trouble. Even an adjacent
lightning strike, could induce enough potential in the wire, to
destroy the computer. Optical isolators are one way, of handling
differences between subsystems, and affording some protection
(if, say, AC from the wall came in contact with the secondary circuit).
But this may not be enough to protect against lightning. The optoisolator
needs its own power supply, but at least that power supply can be
destroyed, without the computer being harmed. You would not extend power
from a Molex on the computer, because that would be a path for lightning
as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

It can take a bit of imagination, to come up with sufficient isolation
to satisfy this requirement. For example, if the post box had an AC
switch, and switched an incandescent light on and off, which was
mounted inside the house, you could use an optical detector tied to
the computer, to detect the light. That would allow you to
construct an enclosure for the light and detector, with some physical
separation between the light, and the computer. That would achieve a
much higher isolation voltage limit, than the 2KV to 5KV of a single
optical isolator integrated circuit.

2) Scaring the Postman. Seeing wires, batteries, switches, in or around
the postbox, is going to get you "no service" pretty rapidly. Your
post office probably has a pretty extensive set of rules, for when
to-your-door delivery will be denied. Even hinting that you're a
"crazy person", is likely enough to get them to stay away.

In terms of "not scaring the postman", you'd want a mechanism for the
post box door, which provides no mechanical resistance. Again, that
suggests an optical method. As long as there are wires stretching back
from the post box circuit, there is still a need for isolation. So it
will cost you one separate power supply, an optical interruptor detector
type device, and the optoisolator at the computer end, to afford
some protection. You can see some different kinds of optical devices
here.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T091/P2466.pdf

If the optical detection method could be done with fiber optics,
that would allow a direct connection from the computer to the
electronics (since a fiber optic cable by itself, would have no
lightning safety issue). But that would likely be a nightmare to
work out optically. (Dental plastic fiber might carry more light, than
a telecommunications glass fiber, as the aperture and cross
section might be wider. While the plastic fiber might be cheap to make,
don't expect it to be cheap to buy.)

If you need a source of inspiration, this Wikipedia article may
help. I'd never heard of this person, until one day I was caught
rigging up something out of bailing wire and binder twine, and
someone mentioned the guy's name :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

HTH,
Paul
Old May 13th 09, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Peter Chant wrote:
David Deley wrote:

How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside
world? I'm wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time
when my USPS mailbox gets opened. Which eventually translates
to I have a wire with a hi/low voltage for the mailbox is
open/closed -- how do I connect that wire to the computer?
What sort of input port is suitable for such a thing?

And of course I'll need some software. (I hope I don't have to
write another device driver. It's been many years since I did
that kind of programming. Someone else must have already
written something. Someone else is probably already logging
when their mailbox door is open/closed.)

Back in the DOS days the parallel port was quite useful for the
odd digital IO line. I presume someone makes USB digital IO
cards nowadays - presumably someone must make one that to the
PC appears like a serial port.

See the discussion of older computers in the "Memory chip question"
thread. Those things have everything you need.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old May 14th 09, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 13 May 2009 01:51:57 -0700, David Deley
wrote:

How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside world? I'm
wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time when my USPS mailbox
gets opened. Which eventually translates to I have a wire with a hi/low
voltage for the mailbox is open/closed -- how do I connect that wire to
the computer? What sort of input port is suitable for such a thing?

Better warn the post office ahead of time, you're likely to
have the bomb squad there if you surprise any postman with a
wired thingy in your mailbox. In fact they probably don't
want to deal with it at all if it's a homebrew setup instead
of a recognized, commercial product.
Old May 14th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David Deley

Good idea protecting the computer input. I hadn't thought that far yet.

I'm using "The MailMinder Wireless Mail Alert" device I purchased for
only $12. A little transmitter box attaches to the mailbox door inside,
detects when the door is tilted open and sends a signal. I was surprised
the receiver actually worked in the house--I thought that would be too
far away with too many walls blocking the signal.

However, problems with the inexpensive receiver a

.. There's no way to turn the receiver off
.. There's no way to stop it from sounding an alert when you open the
mailbox to insert outgoing mail, or to retrieve your mail.

But for $12 it's a nice start.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

http://members.cox.net/deleyd/

Old May 14th 09, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

David Deley wrote:
Good idea protecting the computer input. I hadn't thought that far yet.

I'm using "The MailMinder Wireless Mail Alert" device I purchased for
only $12. A little transmitter box attaches to the mailbox door inside,
detects when the door is tilted open and sends a signal. I was surprised
the receiver actually worked in the house--I thought that would be too
far away with too many walls blocking the signal.

However, problems with the inexpensive receiver a

. There's no way to turn the receiver off
. There's no way to stop it from sounding an alert when you open the
mailbox to insert outgoing mail, or to retrieve your mail.

But for $12 it's a nice start.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

http://members.cox.net/deleyd/

OK, I see there is some kind of receiver here, with a LED on it.
Now, all you need, is a way to connect that to the computer.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._AA280_.jpg

The easiest thing to do, would be to use your computer as a
source of power for the receiver. The Molex disk drive connector
has +5V and +12V on it. If you need some other voltage, you can use
a three terminal regulator. For example, this one might make 3.3V
from a 5V input for you.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...1086CSX-3.3-ND

If the receiver used a 9V battery, you could use the 12V on the
Molex, plus a three terminal (linear) regulator, to create 9V.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...LM2940T-9.0-ND

There are various ways to get the signal from the LED on the receiver,
into your computer. A photodarlington would be a relatively simple solution,
but you'd need a light tight box around the photodarlington and the receiver
LED, so only the LED could trigger it. This converts light, into an
electrical signal. The Darlington pair is two transistors cascaded, so
that the gain is higher. There might be sufficient gain, to drive
a logic signal (like on a game paddle switch) directly. Darlingtons are
not fast, but would be suited to the low speed detection, of a light or
LED going on. The ones I have in my junk bin, don't have part numbers,
and I fiddle with them until they work :-)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=BPW38-ND

You could also connect directly to the receiver circuit (open up the
receiver, and add circuitry to it), but that is getting pretty complicated.
If there is sufficient swing on the signal driving the LED, you might
buffer a logic signal from that with a single transistor. Radio Shack
still carries stuff like that.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062586

But at least your $12 purchase, has solved most of the important
problems for you. No lightning to worry about.

Paul
Old May 14th 09, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ian D

wrote:

How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside world? I'm
wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time when my USPS mailbox
gets opened. Which eventually translates to I have a wire with a hi/low
voltage for the mailbox is open/closed -- how do I connect that wire to
the computer? What sort of input port is suitable for such a thing?

Better warn the post office ahead of time, you're likely to
have the bomb squad there if you surprise any postman with a
wired thingy in your mailbox. In fact they probably don't
want to deal with it at all if it's a homebrew setup instead
of a recognized, commercial product.

I don't know if it's still valid, but a mailbox, once installed,
used to become USPS property. That's why those tubes
had to be installed for newspaper delivery.

Old May 15th 09, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

David Deley wrote:

Good idea protecting the computer input. I hadn't thought that
far yet. I'm using "The MailMinder Wireless Mail Alert" device I
purchased for only $12. A little transmitter box attaches to the
mailbox door inside, detects when the door is tilted open and
sends a signal. I was surprised the receiver actually worked in
the house--I thought that would be too far away with too many
walls blocking the signal.

However, problems with the inexpensive receiver a

. There's no way to turn the receiver off
. There's no way to stop it from sounding an alert when you open
the mailbox to insert outgoing mail, or to retrieve your mail.

But for $12 it's a nice start.

You must be able to acknowledge the alert. Simply do so when you
return to the house.

irrelevant material. Your failure has lost the entire previous
quotations. See the following links:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ (taming google)
http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/ (newusers)

Old May 16th 09, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David Deley

CBFalconer wrote:
David Deley wrote:
[...]

I hate bottom-posters. I have to scroll through everything I've already
read before just to get to the new reply. (But for you I'll be nice and
post this on the bottom.)