How long are manufacturers required to support with cartridges?

Old July 30th 07, 06:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

Default How long are manufacturers required to support with cartridges?

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
Some countries have such legislation, some do not. It is advantageous to
companies to continue to produce cartridges as long as the demand is high
enough to be profitable.

And in some cases long beyond when a cartridge remains profitable based only
on its sales. Good will is also a factor. I know of cases where cartridges
were still manufactured when volumes reached a point where a month's demand
would fit in the trunk of my small car :-).

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old July 30th 07, 07:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gary Tait

Richard Steinfeld wrote in
:

I suspect that this 7-year law has fallen by the wayside. As far as I
know, replacement batteries are not available for Panasonic shavers,
such as the one that I paid around $100 for. I don't see any offered for
sale, and it's conspicuously missing from my owner's manual.

In the case of a personal cassette player/FM radio (also, not a cheap
throw-away, or so I thought) that I wanted to have my technician modify
in order to remove a manufactured-in hum from an otherwise perfectly
good, I asked for a schemetic diagram. Panasonic replied that there was
no service literature for the product because "...it is un-repairable."

Yeah, right.

Richard

Service parts are a different thing than consumables.