Carbonite Sneaks in

Old December 10th 10, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default Carbonite Sneaks in

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:26:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 9, 1:27*pm, Doug wrote:
On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
itself automatically onto my desktop. *I did not have the virus
software running as it was being updated also.

It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
delete it.

When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
a virus issue, *I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

Larry

If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
"downloaded itself."

A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
toolbar.)

I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
seen malware place itself visible on the desktop

As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

Hi Doug...also odd that it modified the registry in several places. I
had McAfee check the executable file before I deleted it and it did
not detect a virus. After the windows updates was completed there was
a Carbonite shortcut on the desktop pointing to a folder with an
installation program in the Program directory. Unlocker could only
unlock and delete the executable upon reboot. Several other files were
scattered over the harddrive. I have no idea how those files got onto
the computer, but Mcafee was apparently down when it was being
updated. The shortcut was dated with today's date.

I sent an email to company asking them if they were aware of any
issues like this, but haven't heard back.

I have been Windows user since 1987 and never had this happen.

Larry

As a general rule I don't do updates of any kind because I've heard
too many stories like this tho usually it has to do with windows
updates in particular. I have people who disagree with my approach
but in the past I've had a working system when I went to bed only to
find it not working in the morning and attributed that to a windows
update. You may want to check your firewall settings more closely as
well as restore points. Of course frequent backups are the best
defense.
Old December 10th 10, 06:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:
On Dec 9, 1:27 pm, Doug wrote:
On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice I will do that...Later this evening I did a
Windows XP update on another older Dell laptop I have. It had been
offline for several months. The updates went flawlessly as they
usually do.
Larry
Old December 10th 10, 07:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:
While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have the virus
software running as it was being updated also.

It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
delete it.

When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
a virus issue, I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

Larry

the installation of carbonite on your computer is most likely the result
of you updating java. recent java prompted updates include carbonite
installation unless you read the prompts carefully and uncheck it from
being installed. historically the google toolbar was distribited along
with java updates, and in the last year or two the msn/bing tool bar was
installed along with java updates, and not carbonite or msn/bing
depending if you already have one or the other. read the prompts more
carfully and you can avoid the installation of these optional things.
you should be able to see carbonite in add/remove programs. if not then
reboot your computer and look again.
Old December 10th 10, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Dec 10, 12:31*pm, Christopher Muto wrote:
On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

[...]

Hi Christopher...There was a java update in addition to a windows and
mcafee update. However I never saw, and I do watch the updates
carefully, anything that would indicated that more than just java was
being installed, let alone being able to opt out of anything. So no
list to uncheck when java was being installed. A short cut was placed
on my desktop that pointed to the executable installer file in the
Program directory. The short cut generated a message telling me to
click on it for a trial preview of the Carbonite. Of course I did not
do that. It did not appear to me that any program was installed yet in
spite of that fact that the registry was modified in several places.
All very strange.

I just got a note from Carbonite in respond to my query, they said
that in all likely hood I clicked on a link to install it. If so
whatever link there might have been it was invisible to me and I did
not even have a browser open at the time.

If I did miss something, it was well hidden from my sight.

And besides what is the deal with a locked executable that would not
permit me to easily delete it as well as altering the registry
files?

Again I would say that that is pretty aggressive and invasive
marketing.

But its over now and I will move on.

Thanks for your message.

Larry

Old December 11th 10, 01:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/10/2010 3:02 PM, wrote:
On Dec 10, 12:31 pm, Christopher wrote:
On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

[...]

i know this group is starved for something to talk about, but you are
way over thinking this. you installed carbonite with the java update.
the java update has an opt in default that you must uncheck if you don't
want the garbage that they happen to be pushing. perhaps one of these
screen shots of what the java update screen will ring a bell.
http://windowssecrets.com/2009/08/13...f-with-patches
uninstall it if you don't want it. or do a system restore to before you
installed it if you can't figure out how to uninstall it.

Old December 11th 10, 02:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

screen shots of what the java update screen will ring a bell.http://windowssecrets.com/2009/08/13...soft-install-c...
uninstall it if you don't want it. or do a system restore to before you
installed it if you can't figure out how to uninstall it.

Got it.. Thanks for your work!

Old December 11th 10, 03:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

[...]

Christopher Muto is right on target here. I was setting up a refurb
laptop again today with Windows XP Pro. I routinely install the latest
Java along with Acrobat Reader and the long laundry list of Windows
updates, 'cause you can't do much without Java and you shouldn't do much
without all the Microsoft bandaids, bubble gum and tissue paper that
holds the house of cards together.

Lo and behold, the Java install offered me a Carbonite free trail
install, with the default all checked to install it. Had I not
unchecked it, the Carbonite stuff would have found its way into the
computer.

EVERYBODY is offering free trials and other sneakware along with their
own updates and installs. Even Microsoft. Ya gotta be careful with
"Microsoft Update" compared to "Windows Update". In addition to updates
for the real Windows software you use on your computer (e.g. Office,
Visio, etc), you get critical updates for stuff you do not use like
Windows Live and Sharepoint. This is the Microsoft way to con you into
trying their software web software (Is the DOJ or EU looking into this
monopolistic practice, tying other software to the OS?), no different
than the Carbonite trial, the McAfee Security Scan that rides on the
back of Acrobat Reader, or the 100 different browser toolbars. How many
of you have ever run across a system with 5 or 6 IE toolbars squeezing
down the real estate of the browser window itself?

Seems like a lot of people mindlessly install updates and never bother
to read what is also checked off for installation. So their system gets
cluttered up with crap.

Fortunately, CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller come to the rescue for people
who know how to use them... Ben Myers

Old December 11th 10, 04:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Dec 11, 9:15*am, Ben Myers wrote:
On 12/11/2010 9:04 AM, RnR wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:09:03 -0800 (PST), "
*wrote:

On Dec 10, 3:45 pm, *wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:35:26 -0800 (PST), "

*wrote:

On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

[...]

Three messages from Carbonite....then I am signing off...

First message:
Hello Larry and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

We would like to like to inform you that Carbonite is an online backup
tool with which you can backup the data on your system on our backup
server using the Internet connection. With this if your computer
crashes or if you need to wipe out then you can get the backed up data
from your system by restoring it from our servers.

We normally advertise about our software online, you might have
clicked on any link& *it would have asked for installation. If you
wish to check the feature and the specifications about our software
then you can visit on our official web sitewww.carbonite.com.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

Second Message:
Hello Larry and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We do not
send such softwares to any computer. It seems to be a malware that is
causing this issue. As to download our free trial, customer has to
login to our website and register with us and I have reviewed your
email and did not find any account under your email. We request you to
install a good Anti-virus or Anti-Spyware program to get rid of the
program on your computer or speak to your local technician.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

Third Message:
Hello Larry and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will
definitely work on this and make sure that this does not happen again.

Old December 11th 10, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have the virus
software running as it was being updated also.

It's being "shipped" with newer updates to Sun/Oracle's Java VM software. To
avoid such things, be doubly-sure to read all of the installer screens and
uncheck any optional third-party software that you do not want.

Yes, I think it's a somewhat sleazy practice. Software installers should
only install the software that you are expecting them to install.

William

Old December 11th 10, 08:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Dec 11, 1:21*pm, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:
Hi!

While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
itself automatically onto my desktop. *I did not have the virus
software running as it was being updated also.

It's being "shipped" with newer updates to Sun/Oracle's Java VM software. To
avoid such things, be doubly-sure to read all of the installer screens and
uncheck any optional third-party software that you do not want.

Yes, I think it's a somewhat sleazy practice. Software installers should
only install the software that you are expecting them to install.

William

What is really funny is that they have sent me four requests to
evaluate their customer support response making me wonder if the
support service is totally automated. Larry