need to replace battery- do I need to write down everything in sys. setup?

Old July 30th 10, 05:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default need to replace battery- do I need to write down everything insys. setup?

On 7/29/2010 10:47 PM, Tom Lake wrote:

So, should I bother to write down everything in Setup? I should think
that a
PC should be able to do this itself!

Joe

There's no need to write anything down.

Switch on your printer.

Reboot.

Press the [F2] key during reboot to bring up page 1 the BIOS screen

Press the [Print Screen] key.

The machine will eventually print out page 1 of the BIOS settings

It doesn't work on a Studio XPS 9000 with no parallel port.
Are you using a parallel printer or a USB printer?

Tom Lake

Not only does the printer have to be a parallel printer, it has to be
able to properly handle text with carriage return-line feed. So a
parallel port PostScript printer would be unable to print the
PrintScreen data.

Furthermore, the BIOS setup screen of nearly all recent Dell computers
is not organized as Page 1, Page 2, etc. The Dell BIOS "look-and-feel"
is entirely different, except for some of the cheap Dells with an
obvious Phoenix or Award BIOS... Ben Myers
Old July 31st 10, 01:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe[_23_]

Well, I replaced the battery with no problem. The system booted up normally
into Windows but the time and date needed to be reset. The system was 8
years old so I supposed it was time for the battery to go.

BTW, I get better responses from this newsgroup- than from Dell's web based
support forum where I usually get no responses.

thanks,
Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
Gee, my 8 year old Dell is finally losing its battery. I now get a warning
when booting up- (forgot to write it down exactly) warning about battery
failure. So, I bought a new battery- but I just noticed that the manual
says I need to write down everything in Setup. Is that really necessary?
One friend suggested that if I make a restore point before the
replacement- it should contain that info, but I'm not so sure of that.

Old July 31st 10, 10:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Were it me, I'd forget totally about the Dell support forum. You will
generally get better information here anyway, because a lot of us have
numerous Dell systems in operation, both new and old.

William

Old July 31st 10, 10:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

That's news to me. I never thought you could print while in BIOS screens
because print drivers haven't loaded up yet. I'll have to try it. I've
always written down every BIOS setting when necessary, esp. when
resurecting someone else's machine.

You can only do this if there is a "real" printer attached to the *parallel
port*. USB printers and printers that don't have enough intelligence onboard
to print without hand-holding from a print driver won't work at all for this
trick.

But if you have an older inkjet or almost any laser printer that understands
PCL input without a special driver, and it's connected to the printer port,
this does usually work.

You may have to issue a "form feed" command to your printer if it seems to
do something but the page with the results doesn't actually come out.

William

Old August 1st 10, 07:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in :

[...]

Ah, I see. I have a LaserJet 6L (still going strong), connected via
parallel port to my Dell 4550. I'll try it. It does read PCL.
Old August 1st 10, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
3.62:

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in :

[...]

William,

Cool. Worked like a charm. I F2'd into Setup, simply pressed the "Print
Screen" key, the receiving data light on the 6L blinked, then solid, and
I pressed the "form feed" button on the 6L, and out came a beautiful
print screen.
Old August 2nd 10, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
herger

On 8/1/2010 3:02 PM, Boris wrote:
wrote in
3.62:

"William R. ech.com
wrote in :

[...]

You could also photograph your screen with a digital camera/cell phone.
A bit quicker and no need to use paper.

herger