DABS presales (lack of) service

Old November 7th 03, 03:16 PM
Geoffrey Clements

Default DABS presales (lack of) service

Hi,

I haven't been around here for some time it's been nearly three years since
I last built a PC but I thought it was time to start again.

I always used Dabs, they've always been good to me with quick deliveries,
helpful staff and you could always get hold of their MD on this newsgroup
so I was abit annoyed when they couldn't even answer a simple query.

From: [snip]
Posted At: 25 October 2003 17:24
Posted To: Stella
Conversation: general enquiries
Subject: general enquiries

Customer Name : Geoffrey Clements
Customer Email Address : [snip]

Please summarise your enquiry he :
I am considering building a PC from scratch and installing Microsoft
Windows Xp Home edition. I would like to buy the OEM version of this
software but cannot find any reference to OEM in the software section. Do
you sell OEM versions of this operating system?

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your email.
Please click on the link below which will forward you to our website where
you are able to search for information with such as price, spec and
availability of all the products available for purchase.
www.dabs.com.

Regards
_____

Stella Higham
Customer Services Executive
dabs.com plc
www.dabs.com

From: Geoffrey Clements [snip]
Posted At: 28 October 2003 21:13
Posted To: Michelle Breakwell
Conversation: general enquiries

Stella,

Thanks for your reply but it doesn't answer my question does it? The

reason I
asked it in the first place was because I had already been around your site
and used the search facility and hadn't found the answer. I believe the
question is straight forward enough.

There are other selers of computer parts not a million miles away from
yourselves which can easily be found by SCANning around who make this issue
very clear, is there any reason why you do not?

--
Regards,
Geoff

Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for your enquiry to Customer Services at dabs.com,
We do not offer any pre-sales or technical information I'm afraid. The
reason for this is that we sell over 35,000 different products and so
realistically we cannot advise on what each individual item will do or
what you need in order to setup any particular system. If you require any
further information that what is given on the website for any item then we
do recommend that you try the manufacturers website. Of course this does
not apply to dabsvalue items as they are generic products and frequently
change, if you require further information on dabsvalue items then we
recommend that you may want to take a look at branded items.

All prices and availability are visible on the website www.dabs.com

Michelle Breakwell
Customer Services Executive
dabs.com plc
www.dabs.com

So what has happened to Dabs? Have they really become this unhelpful?

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me. Received spam per week: 404
Old November 7th 03, 03:39 PM
Chris Howells

Geoffrey Clements wrote:

I always used Dabs, they've always been good to me with quick deliveries,
helpful staff and you could always get hold of their MD on this newsgroup
so I was abit annoyed when they couldn't even answer a simple query.

Ah, Stella strikes again. I had an every so helpful help message from her as
well:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your email.
*We need a reason for the return.

*
Regards
* _____ *

Stella Higham
Customer Services Executive
dabs.com plc
www.dabs.com

Email: *

Old November 7th 03, 04:43 PM
Geoffrey Clements

Chris Howells wrote:

Ah, Stella strikes again.

I wonder what she's employed to do?

Old November 7th 03, 06:05 PM
Chris Howells

Geoffrey Clements wrote:

Ah, Stella strikes again.

I wonder what she's employed to do?

I was also wondering that. Personally if I was a manager at Dabs, I would be
reconsidering her employment status as she would appear to do bugger all
apart from issue insulting standard responses which state the bloody
obvious.

Just remembered, one of my friends was having trouble with Dabs as well, and
he forwarded the reply to his enquiry to me as well because he was not
impressed. That was from our dear beloved Stella as well.

Old November 7th 03, 07:25 PM
Mart_C

Chris Howells wrote:
Geoffrey Clements wrote:

Ah, Stella strikes again.

I wonder what she's employed to do?

I was also wondering that. Personally if I was a manager at Dabs, I would be
reconsidering her employment status as she would appear to do bugger all
apart from issue insulting standard responses which state the bloody
obvious.

Just remembered, one of my friends was having trouble with Dabs as well, and
he forwarded the reply to his enquiry to me as well because he was not
impressed. That was from our dear beloved Stella as well.

I've had a few less than helpfull replies from that certain person , I
enjoyed her dry, dark sense of humour and referals to Dabs version of
the distance selling regulations, I enjoyed it so much, I stopped using
Dabs and moved on to other more worthy suppliers. Maybe we should start
a fan club for her ?
--
Martin

Old November 7th 03, 08:05 PM
Grebo

Afraid that is going to be a pretty standard reponse from a large faceless
company like Dabs. A lot of these companies start off well but get too large
too quickly and end up becoming faceless and employing sales people that
know nothing about the products they are selling, hence the reason they
cannot give advice. Pretty obvious from their reply that they had no idea
what you meant by OEM!

Why don't you support one of you local resellers instead. As an example, we
can supply everything needs to build a PC (including Windows OEM!) and our
prices are usually similar to Dabs or a couple of quid more at the most.
However, at least you are dealing with a real person who understands what
they are selling. I am sure you must have someone similar locally, give them
a try!

Grebo

.. .

Old November 7th 03, 11:05 PM
Mal

"Geoffrey Clements" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I haven't been around here for some time it's been nearly three years

since
I last built a PC but I thought it was time to start again.

I always used Dabs, they've always been good to me with quick deliveries,
helpful staff and you could always get hold of their MD on this newsgroup
so I was abit annoyed when they couldn't even answer a simple query.

snip
So what has happened to Dabs? Have they really become this unhelpful?

--
Geoff

Looks as if they have. If they have what you want, and there are no problems
or variations then all is well. But, as I found this week, contact is a
farce. Minor typo on CC details and they sat waiting for me to reply to an
email I never received. OK, but next day I realised the error and emailed a
correction, both direct and via website.

I then got another prompt to answer their non-existent mail (no copy
attached) and eventually their response to my cancellation mail was to refer
me to their webmaster! Hopeless. Email respones too slow - up to 48
hours -and not relevant; no phone facility which could have sorted this in
ten seconds and general attitude that if it doesn't fit the system you're
stuffed.

Well so are they. Never again and any other mob that sets up as Net Only
dealers had better get operators who can respond fast and efficiently or
they'll go the same way. Ordered my kit online but from a place with real
people on the phone as well.

Mal

Old November 7th 03, 11:56 PM
Rob

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:16:11 +0000, Geoffrey Clements
wrote:

So what has happened to Dabs? Have they really become this unhelpful?

Very simple. They don't want your business if it means having to help
you in the tiniest way before, and in some cases after, buying. In
fact they even begrudge having to send out those unhelpful emails,
because that too is taking time out from someone's busily unhelpful
day.

I'd suggest you take your questions and custom elsewhere, and stop
flogging this particular horse.

Aria for example don't have the range, but do have some very helpful
staff, some of whom are reading this very email.......

rgds
-Rob
Old November 8th 03, 12:46 AM
Bob Eager

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:56:35 UTC, Rob wrote:

Aria for example don't have the range, but do have some very helpful
staff, some of whom are reading this very email.......

It's an *email* ??
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old November 8th 03, 02:45 AM
Trevor Eves

Most computer gear can be had at local computer dealers at a reasonable
price compare to on-line especially when postage is involved, inconvenience
when something goes wrong et al.

I won't bother with these cowboy firms, especially Dabs who don't IMHO take
their legal responsibilities to their customers seriously.

TE

From: Geoffrey Clements [snip]
[...]

The cost of Bad Service: Samsung HDD: SP 1614N dt General 10 December 20th 04 09:54 PM
dvd burner.. which one? db General 8 June 27th 04 07:47 PM
How do I fix a Service Controler Manager File Error (Category 7000) - file not found M. B. Storage (alternative) 0 February 6th 04 01:58 PM
Service Tag -> Express Service Code mathematical conversion? Benjamin Chan Dell Computers 0 December 30th 03 12:35 AM
Dell has great deal on 3 yr in house service on Inspiron BigJIm Dell Computers 2 December 25th 03 08:00 AM