Who pays postage for returns?

Old May 10th 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt

Default Who pays postage for returns?

I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?
Old May 10th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article
Jon D wrote:
I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?

If it's faulty they have to cover all the costs of return/replacement,
or refund you everything including P&P. They'll probably want you to
pay to return it, then they'll refund you once they've checked it.
Old May 10th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt

Jon D wrote:

I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?

If it's faulty they pay both postages. However, you don't say very much
about the device. If it's not clear whether the device is faulty, it may
be that it doesn't work in your particular configuration, then it is more
doubtful. In that case you might have to settle for a refund.
Old May 10th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt

Rob Morley wrote:

If it's faulty they have to cover all the costs of return/replacement,
or refund you everything including P&P. They'll probably want you to
pay to return it, then they'll refund you once they've checked it.

Unfortunately many companies are completely clueless about this and will
refuse to refund the postage. I small claims court'ed my credit card
company (under the Consumer Credit Act) after buying stuff on it from a
company who refused to refund the return postage, and who also tried to
charge a restocking fee on a faulty item.
Old May 10th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt

"Jon D" wrote in message
I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?

Within 30 days they pay postage both ways. after 30 days you pay postage
out they pay it back

Old May 11th 06, 07:40 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors

On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:40:23 UTC, "Mike" wrote:

"Jon D" wrote in message
I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?

Within 30 days they pay postage both ways. after 30 days you pay postage
out they pay it back

Can you quote a source for this? I think you're confusing it with the
Distance Sellling Regulations...

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old May 11th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors

"Jon D" wrote in message
I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?

Within 30 days they pay postage both ways. after 30 days you pay postage
out they pay it back

Can you quote a source for this? I think you're confusing it with the
Distance Sellling Regulations...

will try to find the source. it may indeed be under dsr. products found
faulty within 30 days must be replaced from what i am aware.

Old May 11th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors

"Jon D" wrote in message
I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?

Within 30 days they pay postage both ways. after 30 days you pay
postage
out they pay it back

Can you quote a source for this? I think you're confusing it with the
Distance Sellling Regulations...

will try to find the source. it may indeed be under dsr. products
found faulty within 30 days must be replaced from what i am aware.

It may well be that retailers will replace within 30 days then after such
time send item for repair But there is nothing in law saying so. The law is
designed to protect the buyer so that they are not out of pocket. The faulty
goods must be repaired or replaced if nether then refund within a reasonable
time. You dont get the choice its up to the retailer. Because in the case of
internet sales of computer Equipment having very small margins Some will
give a refund rather then carry the cost of posting a item, which might be
higher that the profit made in the first place, back to the customer.

Dsr states the item must be refused within 7 days but does give the
purchaser time to return the goods. But as that's not for faulty goods then
the purchaser is responsible for returning the good in good condition

Of course nothing is definite in law, so that Lawyers can make big money
arguing what it was meant to say

Old May 11th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors

Mike wrote:

will try to find the source. it may indeed be under dsr. products found
faulty within 30 days must be replaced from what i am aware.

There is no time limit set out under the DSR, SOGA or any othr act,
AFAIUI. The DSR mentions goods can be returned (note this doesn't mean
you can use them) for anything up to 7 days after receipt of delivery.

All that is mentioned otherwise regarding timescales is "reasonable",
so if you can define 'reasonable', you'll have your limits.

IANAL, YMMV.

Old May 11th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt

"Jon D" wrote in message
I bought a USB device for about £100 from a small company.
They sent it by next day delivery

After 12 days I found one important function wasn't working properly.
I told them and they are looking into it.

It looks as if the USB device probably has to go back to them.

If so then who pays the return postage to them and
who pays the postage to get the new replacement to me?

Within 30 days they pay postage both ways. after 30 days you pay postage
out they pay it back

Can you quote a source for this? I think you're confusing it with the
Distance Sellling Regulations...

will try to find the source. it may indeed be under dsr. products found
faulty within 30 days must be replaced from what i am aware.

DSR has nothing whatever to do with faulty goods.