tatooed disk?

Old December 11th 05, 10:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default tatooed disk?

If I replace my hard disk, can I simply use the restore CD's kit to
reinstall everything or do I need to pass trhough a special process
because of a tatooed disk or anything else?
Old December 11th 05, 10:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Herblain a écrit :
If I replace my hard disk, can I simply use the restore CD's kit to
reinstall everything or do I need to pass trhough a special process
because of a tatooed disk or anything else?

It's a Compaq Presario 18xl485
Old December 14th 05, 11:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If it is a Recovery CD, you must have the D:System_sav partition on the
original hard disk in order to do a full restore. To completely restore a
new hard drive you need the full QuickRestore CD set. Try calling HP for the
QR set.

HH

Old December 15th 05, 10:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Herblain" wrote in message

If I replace my hard disk, can I simply use the restore CD's kit to
reinstall everything or do I need to pass trhough a special process
because of a tatooed disk or anything else?

Do you think we can use the full QuickRestore CD set on a new hard disk
(mine has been changed because it was broken). Or does ahard disk need
to be tatooed?

Old December 18th 05, 03:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

HH a écrit :
If by tatooed, you mean formatted, no. The Quickrestore process will do that
for you.

No, not formatted, I've been told that some manufacturers were used to
tatooing their hard disk or motherboard in order to prevent people from
installing the system on other computers, and I wonder whether it
applies to my presario laptop, the hard disk of which has been changed.