mini-CD into laptop CD drive

Old March 14th 08, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

Default mini-CD into laptop CD drive

Is that typically safe for the equipment, even if it doesn't work?

Does it work most of the time, or is it more like hit-and-miss?

Thanks!
Old March 14th 08, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

On Mar 14, 2:58 am, Paul Heslop wrote:
wrote:

Is that typically safe for the equipment, even if it doesn't work?

Does it work most of the time, or is it more like hit-and-miss?

Thanks!

I'd say as long as there's a little hollow for the disc to fit inside
the drawer then it's safe.

Unfortunately, no. I have a sneaking suspicion that such a hollow
might be rare for laptop CD/DVD readers/writers, since (I suspect) a
flat profile is important. I guess I will see if the provider of the
info can send a soft copy.
Old March 14th 08, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

On Mar 14, 3:33 pm, Andrew Rossmann
wrote:
In article 03579953-f242-45f9-a189-
,
says...

Unfortunately, no. I have a sneaking suspicion that such a hollow
might be rare for laptop CD/DVD readers/writers, since (I suspect) a
flat profile is important. I guess I will see if the provider of the
info can send a soft copy.

I assume this is tray-load, and not the kind where the disc snaps onto
the spindle directly?

No, it's a snap-onto-spindle. The only 2 laptops I've used are
similar in that respect.

One of the concerns I have is if the laser somehow wanders beyond the
edge of the CD. I'm not sure about the details of how it works, but
if there is some kind of feedback control, maybe bad things can
happen. It's a remote concern, since reading and writing tends to
work from the centre outward. As well, It's only a read rather than a
burn. Still, it only makes sense to check and rule out this
possibility.
Old March 14th 08, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, i can understand your concern but personally I reckon it would
take a lot of this to cause damage. I'm not too familiar with the
drives on laptops but with a snap on spindle I'm not even sure there
would need to be a groove. I think at this stage I'd try not to panic
and maybe try installing some other stuff using the drive or play an
audio cd or such.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old March 15th 08, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Andrew Rossmann

In article 8de67373-621a-4708-bd00-
,
says...
No, it's a snap-onto-spindle. The only 2 laptops I've used are
similar in that respect.

One of the concerns I have is if the laser somehow wanders beyond the
edge of the CD. I'm not sure about the details of how it works, but
if there is some kind of feedback control, maybe bad things can
happen. It's a remote concern, since reading and writing tends to
work from the centre outward. As well, It's only a read rather than a
burn. Still, it only makes sense to check and rule out this
possibility.

Don't panic. Nothing bad will happen. CD's and DVD's are read from the
inside, towards the outside. Even if it tried to read past the end of
the disk, it'll just give errors. Even for writing, there is capacity
info in the header at the beginning, so it won't write too far anyways.

The laser is just on a sled that moves back and forth. It may also move
the lens up and down a bit for focus. Nothing bad can happen from moving
beyond a mini-disc. Years ago, some early CD drives could have issues
with some CD's that were OVER 80 min/700M, as they often overburned by
going beyond the normal outside limit. 80 min/700M disks just use a
slightly tighter data spiral than the original 74 min/650M disks.

The only danger with the mini-size discs is in a tray loader, and if
there is no way to reliably get it centered so it will center on the hub
motor. With your snap-on, that is not an issue. The only real issue is
to be more careful snapping it on or off, to keep your fingers away from
the laser sled. With a full-size disk, it would cover the entire track.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old March 15th 08, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

It's installation software that came on the CD, so it has to go into
that particular drive. I wasn't overly concerned about the
possibility of damage, just doing a bit of due diligence before hand.
Thanks for the info about snap-on.

Fred
Old March 15th 08, 04:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

On Mar 15, 8:55 am, Andrew Rossmann
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the technical details, Andrew.