Homebrew Snap Server / Netdisk ?

Old September 10th 03, 11:36 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

I think I was unclear. I just mean that the connector's tend to be
beefier. It usually isn't possible for a user to jiggle it when
inserting or removing. These connectors *should* last longer.

PS/2 is not designed for hot plug - for frequent plug/unplug.
USB is designed for this.

Given the atrocious details on driver writing for hardware attached to PS/2
port - USB is surely better. A mainstream technology, designed by loud names
like MS and Intel - vs. the keyboard-and-mouse-only port of 15 years old, not
designed for hot plug with terrifying perversions in driver development for
devices other then keyboard and mouse... well, I will choose the loud name
unless the real facts telling that the loud name is worse.

For now, I have no facts on USB unreliability (lame XP drivers for 480Mbps
devices aside, fixed in SP1 IIRC).

is also no possibility of trying to insert it the wrong way (like a
USB port on the rear of a laptop)

You definitely must drink too much to insert the USB connector in a wrong way.
:-)

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old September 10th 03, 09:08 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Eric Lee Green wrote:
In article , Peter da Silva ruminated:
In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
Without USB I need:

PS/2 hole for mouse.
Serial port for printer, handheld, and other serial devices.
Cardbus slot for Ethernet/Modem or SCSI or firewire.
PCMCIA-CF adapter.

and so on. With USB, all you need is a hub, and only if you have more then 2
devices to attach to the laptop.

With USB I need:

USB hole for mouse.

USB mouse.

Well, duh, that's why I need a USB hole for it.

Serial port for printer and other serial devices.

USB printer.

USB router configuation?

Cardbus slot for Ethernet/Modem or SCSI or firewire.

Ethernet, modem, firewire are built in.

Well, there you go, three extra ports. Where's the savings?

PCMCIA-CF adapter.

???

My handheld and camera use CF cards and it's MUCH faster to copy files
this way.

And if I need to read DVDs or get online:

DVD-ROM built in.

And that's another "port".

New laptop with cardbus slot for ethernet/SCSI/firewire
because USB is still too frigging slow.

In reality, the only cardbus card that I use is an old 802.11b card
that I use for wireless networking. My printers all connect via USB.
I must admit that I do miss the serial port on my HP laptop, I work
with a lot of equipment that wants to be set up via a serial port.

Plus it's getting increasingly hard to find a 3-button USB mouse.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All
Old September 11th 03, 02:52 AM
idunno

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:36:39 +0400, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
wrote:

I think I was unclear. I just mean that the connector's tend to be
beefier. It usually isn't possible for a user to jiggle it when
inserting or removing. These connectors *should* last longer.

PS/2 is not designed for hot plug - for frequent plug/unplug.
USB is designed for this.

I said nothing about hot-plugging PS2. Plugging/unplugging something
"frequently" does not necessarily imply "hot" plugging. Surely you
understand the difference between the concerns and needs (esp. those
re durability) of a commuter who needs to connect and disconnect a
laptop to peripherals multiple times a day at work and when returning
home as opposed to someone who leaves their keyboard, mouse, and web
cam plugged into their computer for weeks or months at a time but has
the 'option' of hot plug/unplugging them.

Given the atrocious details on driver writing for hardware attached

to PS/2
port - USB is surely better. A mainstream technology, designed by

loud names
like MS and Intel - vs. the keyboard-and-mouse-only port of 15 years

old, not
designed for hot plug with terrifying perversions in driver

development for
devices other then keyboard and mouse... well, I will choose the loud

name
unless the real facts telling that the loud name is worse.

For now, I have no facts on USB unreliability (lame XP drivers for

480Mbps
devices aside, fixed in SP1 IIRC).

You are speaking to yourself here. The 'beauty' of PS2 design is not
at issue. Several of us have mentioned connections between laptops &
Peripherals that precede USB or exist in addition to USB. Of course
USB is designed and expected to do more than PS2 and came about long
after PS2 and that is reflected in multiple aspects of USB design - so
this is really an "apples & oranges" comparison. Having "no facts on
USB reliability" does not address Jeff Sutter's concerns & experiences
with these devices. Nor does it help in the design of a small,
inexpensive NAS appliance.

Some of us disagree with your comment "Without USB, you have nearly no
ways of attaching hardware to laptop." That is all. Inventing a
debate about PS2 won't retract your comment.

is also no possibility of trying to insert it the wrong way (like a
USB port on the rear of a laptop)

You definitely must drink too much to insert the USB connector in a

wrong way.
:-)

Very amusing. I assume you can see things that aren't in your field
of view?
Old September 11th 03, 07:51 AM
idunno

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message ...
I think I was unclear. I just mean that the connector's tend to be
beefier. It usually isn't possible for a user to jiggle it when
inserting or removing. These connectors *should* last longer.

PS/2 is not designed for hot plug - for frequent plug/unplug.
USB is designed for this.

Given the atrocious details on driver writing for hardware attached to PS/2
port - USB is surely better. A mainstream technology, designed by loud names
like MS and Intel - vs. the keyboard-and-mouse-only port of 15 years old, not
designed for hot plug with terrifying perversions in driver development for
devices other then keyboard and mouse... well, I will choose the loud name
unless the real facts telling that the loud name is worse.

are you telling me that a dock or port replicator which supports
parallel, serial, PS2, Video, Fast or Gigabit Ethernet, Cardbus, USB
and MiniPCI connect all these devices through the notebook PS2
connection? That can't be right. scratching my head
Old September 11th 03, 08:44 AM
Zak

Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:

is also no possibility of trying to insert it the wrong way (like a
USB port on the rear of a laptop)

You definitely must drink too much to insert the USB connector in a wrong way.
:-)

It is not possible.. but the plug design is rather awful for blind
insertion, with the blunt front, not being able to rotate while trying
to insert, and the 180 degree turn you might need to make.

If it was not so blunt at least one would be reduced to two tries: one
upside down and one right side up. Now it comes down to right side up
but slightly off center... hmm... must be wrong way round... turn
around... no difference in feel... still doesn't fit... turn around again...

Better than a db9, yes. But not as good as the average power inlet. I
wonder if it is possible to fix it while remaining compatible. I'd think so.

Thomas

Old September 11th 03, 10:09 PM
Malcolm Weir

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:44:58 +0200, Zak wrote:

[ Snip ]

Better than a db9, yes. But not as good as the average power inlet. I
wonder if it is possible to fix it while remaining compatible. I'd think so.

You could solve the issue with a cosmetic mod to the plastic casing:
put a bump on the top and a concave "pit" on the bottom. Two stacked
connectors would still occupy the same space (the bump fitting into
the pit), although it might become hard to unplug one of a pair.

Or you could avoid that issue by placing an exaggerated ridge on the
top of the short edge (say, with a 1mm cross section, or a 1x2).

Thomas

Malc.

64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! vvcd AMD x86-64 Processors 0 September 17th 04 09:07 PM
Quantum Snap server 2200 John General 4 September 4th 04 04:34 AM
Continued: Putting together a Lower-Mid End Server Arifi Koseoglu Asus Motherboards 2 February 20th 04 02:34 PM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit,Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new! TEL Overclocking AMD Processors 0 January 1st 04 07:59 PM
e-mail attachments KenTak Asus Motherboards 4 June 29th 03 05:15 AM