Overheating please help

Old June 7th 05, 10:45 PM
Atreju

Default Overheating please help

Maybe it is not a huge emergency but my Intel Active Monitor comes up
with warnings when I do some heavy-duty CPU usage. Specifically it is
happening now when I am encoding a DVD. I understand video rendering
is heavy on the CPU but my CPU is a Northwood 3.0 GHz P4 with HT. This
CPU should reduce its own activity to accomodate temperature,
shouldn't it?

Besides that, my motherboard is Intel, and I have plenty of cooling -
In-Win case with a side-vent over the CPU fan, PSU fan, extra chassis
fan.

The CPU zone is being reported at 79°c / 174°F
System Zone 2 is being reported at 147°F

With all the cooling and the fact that the motherboard is Intel (and
therefore, I would assume can reduce CPU cycles to reduce
temperature), shouldn't this not be happening?

I am using DVD Shrink to render an ISO file for burning DVD.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Here is some sysinfo:

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical)

CPU#1 APIC ID = 0
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4
Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 2 9
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Brand ID 9
Package mPGA-478
Core Stepping D1
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
CPU Clock Speed 2992.4 MHz
Clock multiplier x 15.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 199.5 MHz
Bus Speed 798.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2992.4 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

CPU#2 APIC ID = 1
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4 (logical unit)

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer Intel Corporation
Motherboard model D865PERL, AAC40926-205
BIOS vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS revision RL86510A.86A.0075.P15.0404021333
BIOS release date 04/02/2004
Chipset Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 2
FSB Select 800 MHz
Performance Mode disabled
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Max Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 199.5 MHz
FSBRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 Micron Technology DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 992 MBytes
Module 1 Micron Technology DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
(Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0b

---Atreju---
Old June 7th 05, 11:13 PM
Michael Hawes

"Atreju" wrote in message
[...]

Have you checked CPU fan speed? Check for fluff and dust blocking
airflow through cooler. Check PSU fan blowing OK. Do you have other fans,
what case style? 79C is high, does heatsink feel that hot if you touch it?
Mike.

#1 check the direction of fans current. If you have too many blowing in
and not enough blowing out you create a 'thermal pocket', hot air
actually pools in areas. Same occurs if you have too much blowing out
and not enough coming in.

#2 check that your ribbons are not obstructing air travel. Be generous
with the wire ties.

I am assuming you used thermal compound.

DRG
Old June 8th 05, 12:11 AM
DaveW

Wrong. The "Northwood" P4's do NOT automatically throttle when overheating.
The problem, which I also ran into, is that you probably have the Hyper
Threading turned ON and so the CPU is being overtaxed by doing heavy duty
video work with only half the CPU's cycles. The other half is being used
for your other running processes. And 79 C for a P4 will GREATLY reduce its
life.
I would recommend getting a better CPU cooling unit AND turning off
HyperThreading if you plan on doing much DVD encoding.

--
DaveW

Old June 8th 05, 02:42 AM
ModeratelyConfused

"DaveW" wrote in message
Wrong. The "Northwood" P4's do NOT automatically throttle when
overheating.

So, where did you hear this little tidbit?

snip

I would recommend getting a better CPU cooling unit AND turning off
HyperThreading if you plan on doing much DVD encoding.

I've got a 2.8GHz Northwood P4, and have no problem encoding DVDs with
HyperThreading turned on. It rarely passes 40º C during heavy use.

DaveW

MC

Old June 8th 05, 03:25 AM
Atreju

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:11:25 -0700, "DaveW" wrote:

Wrong. The "Northwood" P4's do NOT automatically throttle when overheating.

I believe you are mistaken. According to the datasheet

29864312.pdf titled:

Intel ® Pentium ® 4 Processor with 512-KB
L2 Cache on 0.13 Micron Process and
Intel ® Pentium ® 4 Processor Extreme
Edition Supporting Hyper-Threading
Technology 1
Datasheet

The P4 Northwood DOES feature Netburst, which regulates CPU flow based
on thermal conditions.

---Atreju---
Old June 8th 05, 05:30 AM
BigJim

that is pretty hot I would check the seating of the heatsink sounds like it
is loose.
I would also make sure the case has proper ventilation. Not enclosed in a
shelf with a door etc..

Old June 8th 05, 08:56 AM
johns

Is that InWin a steel case? If they are still making steel
cases, there is no way to cool them enough to put a
newer cpu in them. You need an aluminum case with
the big fan in back.

johns

Old June 8th 05, 09:27 AM
David Maynard

DaveW wrote:

Wrong. The "Northwood" P4's do NOT automatically throttle when overheating.

That's going to come as one hell of a surprise to the Intel folks who wrote
the specs.

Old June 8th 05, 01:42 PM
Ed Medlin

"johns" wrote in message
Is that InWin a steel case? If they are still making steel
cases, there is no way to cool them enough to put a
newer cpu in them. You need an aluminum case with
the big fan in back.

johns

It shouldn't matter at all what the case is made of. The main thing is to
get good airflow around the CPU/HSF. The case could be made of lead or
cardboard as far as that goes. Cool air in and hot air out is the ticket.

Ed