HELP!! Ref G6 333 mghz Video Display (need video card)

Old July 14th 04, 01:24 PM
Lee Bray

Default HELP!! Ref G6 333 mghz Video Display (need video card)

Ok, tried it all, even to the point of calling GW and downloading new
drivers and installing them and still have the same problem, I keep losing
the screen resolution of 1020 down to 640. So I will follow advice and buy
a new video card for this 6 year old computer.

Would anyone hazard a guess at what I should buy? I am not a gamer, but if
I understand it correctly I might be able to speed up my computer by buying
a video card with memory? If I read this correctly I have a MPACT-2 Media
Processor which I assume is part of the motherboard.

What video card should I consider that might cure my problem and "maybe"
improve performance of the computer? and if you know what would it cost!

BTW again thanks to all that have offered their suggestions and cures! I
really appreciate it.

Lee

Old July 14th 04, 01:45 PM
Ben Myers

Lee,

Either ATI or Matrox PCI cards ought to work fine. Neither has pushed its PCI
designs to the point where they cannot run in the older PCI 2.0 bus in your
system. Figure no more than $25 for an 8MB or 16MB card.

I wouldn't mess with other chipsets. nVidia consistently pushes the limits.
The other graphics chipset manufacturers are no longer factors in the industry.
Matrox may soon be a casualty to the ATI-nVidia domination, but I've been
impressed by their product quality for a long time, both hardware and drivers.

.... Ben Myers

Old July 14th 04, 03:01 PM
Lee Bray

Hi Ben

Thanks for your speedy reply, will purchase one, probably
the ATI based on your comments. Appreciate the help.

Lee

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)