HDD ratings

Old June 27th 18, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default HDD ratings

3T models were recently atrocious, past few years, whereas 2/4/6TB
weren't. Strangely eye-opening. I'd still want manufacturing drive
dates, model verification numbers, still, were I interested in a 3T
purchase.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...le-hard-drives

Think I've at least one 1.5T model, up there in the outer limits.

HGST, especially, Toshiba, WD, and Seagte have good representatives
among low failures. As well abysmal models to be found more or less
among all.

Although offhand I may not be seeing all the data charts and
abstracts, too lazy to pull up a more compliant browser, I did check
into some of the outstanding HGST stats from a retailer perspective.

You pay for those drives, maybe twice what WD or Seagates sells for
potentially x6-times higher failures. Enterprise, apart from an
actual accountability of the warranty, can seem as extra wrapping
paper for other than a shipping box with at least a sealed OEM bag and
serial no. the manufacturer can link to validate.

Depends. I don't mind paying less, something thereof, half for a
non-enterprise drive with a year to three less warranty
accountability.

White Drives, sold as, is another one on Ebay. The Weirdings. Coming
in from Thailand directly, rebadged for "White", off Hitachi, Seagate,
maybe WD facilities. Translation: "A" major manufacturer. One third
less, or $40 for 2T drives at a minimum norm, meaning accountably
warranted for a reasonable couple years, at $60. And others. Other
angles. Similar angles to be shafted when a 1-yr. warranty, if that,
is found a matter less than appreciably honorable. Among potentials
for other concerns.

Popular site and has an accompanying index, although it may not be
aggressive enough for bloody guts and cutting-edge update purposes.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html
Old June 29th 18, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Flasherly wrote:

[...]

Given my recent experience, I think I'll go back to hard drives from WD
in 1TB or 2TB size when I buy another one. I'm using my pc mainly for
web suring and email, so large storage is not critical. The one thing
that I might do to require larger storage would be playing around with
VM. It might be fun learning linux or programming without worrying
about messing up my RL pc :-) I could see making several VMs, and I
don't have any experience yet to guess how much disk space they would
need. Right now I have about 4TB hd between 2 drives (1TB and 3TB).

I'll probably buy another hd soon - external however for use as back
up. Wikipedia entries indicate that the longevity of the storage media
- CD, DVD, flash drive, SSD, hard drive, and so on - varies widely
depending on usage and physical storage. None of it matches paper
(thousands of years) but that's too cumbersome to use for back up :-)
I've got a number of music CDs approaching decades in age that I want
to keep backed up. They're backed up on hd, but only in two locations.
And I'm only just beginning to think about how to back up the RPG games
I bought in the late 90s and early 2000s that came packaged in CD and
DVD media. Those games required running them at the start of a game
session in a CD/DVD drive. Maybe the publishers will release codes to
bypass the CD/DVD requirement to play the game :-) Hah, fat chance,
LOL)

John
Old June 29th 18, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 23:19:32 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

[...]

You know, when I looked at some of those site charts, it seems there's
for anyone always a better performing drive with fewer failures.
Taking that for a point of faith in objectivity, no doubt it is to be
an expected furball of contention, should a drive fail, and one
pronounce: I should have known better to go with my gut instincts.

The 3T drives I would expect now to exhibit similar performance, along
with 2/4/6T drives, than a prior spike in 3T drive failures graphed
from one of the two aforementioned site ratings. They are also
particularly posed, as the 3T is the one that will most easily
price-match a good many, otherwise, sensible and value-oriented 2T
class offerings among HDDs.

The developers platform, VMs and concurrent operating systems, is also
notorious for a large population of physical RAM not expected on usual
destop, including gamer builds.

We crossed the Event Horizon of paperless mechanization several years
ago from the point of a computer aide in business environments.

I've tapes and cassette decks I need throw away. It took me one year
of mornings, I'd place aside an hour for a cassette-side, to feed the
analogue output into my computer for WAV transposition and subsequent
MP3 encodes. That amount is 73.32GB in 18 directories, each no larger
than storage amount for subsequent placement on a DVD;- HDD storage
was a consideration at the time, and the encodes reflect that at a
lower allowance setting for encode quality.

DVDs will play from binary images on a HDD from software that renders
images into their library. I can access, here and now, play from an
image the first digit edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica from its
arcane Netscape Navigator interface easily enough & FWIW/YMMV...

[Using Britannica CD]
Quoting brief excerpts from Britannica CD is permitted as provided
under U.S. copyright law. Whenever using material from Britannica CD,
you should properly credit it as the source of your information, as
you credit printed material in a bibliography. E.g...
"China: Rise of empress Wu-hou." Britannica CD, Version 99 ©
1994-1999. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.

Copyright © 1994-1997 Netscape Communications Corporation, All rights
reserved.

H+H Software GmbH Virtual CD v4 V4.0.1 - 10/2001
Old June 29th 18, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 21:43:04 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

The 3T drives I would expect now to exhibit similar performance, along
with 2/4/6T drives, than a prior spike in 3T drive failures graphed
from one of the two aforementioned site ratings. They are also
particularly posed, as the 3T is the one that will most easily
price-match a good many, otherwise, sensible and value-oriented 2T
class offerings among HDDs.

I happen to have 3 3TB Segate drives in service now, two active in the
computer, one outside used as backup via an Icydock slot. So far no
problem with any of them... been in service from 1.5 to .5 years.
However, when one goes, I'm hoping they don't all fail at the same
time, because they really back up portions of each other. Anyway, a
4th Seagate 4 TB backs up everything every other week.
Yes, I am paranoid.
Old June 29th 18, 08:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 21:51:58 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

I happen to have 3 3TB Segate drives in service now, two active in the
computer, one outside used as backup via an Icydock slot. So far no
problem with any of them... been in service from 1.5 to .5 years.
However, when one goes, I'm hoping they don't all fail at the same
time, because they really back up portions of each other. Anyway, a
4th Seagate 4 TB backs up everything every other week.
Yes, I am paranoid.

Same thing here, as I bet on duplicate only backups, that two drives
containing the same material cannot fail with probability
simultaneously from disparate usage conditions, so your 4T is an
additional secure measure. I think of it as cheap, but that depends
on the individual value given what's written;- Besides nearest to the
same price for optical media, only no unreasonable laser-writing
bottleneck speeds, which keeps platters as the only game in town.

I mean how many times can industry hold up a solid-state drive for
promotion for speeding up, like something new, that old laptop?
Old June 29th 18, 11:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

wrote:

The 3T drives I would expect now to exhibit similar performance, along
with 2/4/6T drives, than a prior spike in 3T drive failures graphed
from one of the two aforementioned site ratings. They are also
particularly posed, as the 3T is the one that will most easily
price-match a good many, otherwise, sensible and value-oriented 2T
class offerings among HDDs.

I happen to have 3 3TB Segate drives in service now, two active in the
computer, one outside used as backup via an Icydock slot. So far no
problem with any of them... been in service from 1.5 to .5 years.
However, when one goes, I'm hoping they don't all fail at the same
time, because they really back up portions of each other. Anyway, a
4th Seagate 4 TB backs up everything every other week.
Yes, I am paranoid.

Nothing wrong in preparing for the inevitable- HDDs all fail, sooner or
later. That's not paranoia; that's practicality and caution :-)
--

SC Tom

Vista ratings housetrained[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 3 August 1st 07 06:01 PM
Ratings Hakam Chadhar. Storage (alternative) 6 June 7th 05 05:04 AM
ratings Kerry Goodnight Dell Computers 1 February 17th 05 03:01 AM
Using ram with different Cas ratings Ken Asus Motherboards 3 January 21st 05 12:04 AM
Romulus ratings BUFF UK Computer Vendors 7 October 25th 03 02:53 PM