athlon heat question

Old September 13th 05, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
sligo

Default athlon heat question

I plan to buy an athlon 64 3000+ processor. Is the stock heat sink adequate
or should I consider something better? If so what make?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Old September 13th 05, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Peter van der Goes

"sligo" wrote in message
I plan to buy an athlon 64 3000+ processor. Is the stock heat sink
adequate
or should I consider something better? If so what make?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

The stock HSF is more than adequate in a properly ventilated case if you're
planning on a 90Nm CPU such as a Winchester or Venice.
I have a 64 3200+ Winchester here overclocked to 2.5 GHz (2.0 is stock
speed), using the stock HSF. As I type this: Room = 26C, case 28C, CPU 35C.
Max CPU temp I've seen at full load is 44C.

Old September 13th 05, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:31:55 -0700, sligo wrote:

I plan to buy an athlon 64 3000+ processor. Is the stock heat sink adequate
or should I consider something better? If so what make?

The actual heat sink itself is fine. The problem with the cooler is it's a
little noisy because of the small (70x15mm) highspeed fan. replacing that
with a 70-80 or 90mm fan adapter will allow a larger fan and it will work
as good or better with an 80x25mm 2500rpm fan that's almost silent. The
other problem with the cooler is that it's a single clip cooler instead of
a 3 clips for the cooler latch spring. This may or may not concern you,
but mine broke the single tab on one end of the cooler retainer. Luckily,
I was there when it happened and shut down the system and replaced the
stock cooler with a TR2-M6 that has 3 tab clips (but only 2 on one end
now). The TR2-M6 which can be had for about $7, works just as good as the
stock cooler and since it comes with an 80x25mm 2500rpm fan it's also very
quiet compared to the stock cooler. So, the stock cooler is adequate, but
one that I'd never use again becasue of the 2 things I mentioned.

Old September 13th 05, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
sligo

Thank you all for the informative and most helpful answers.
Seamus J.
newsan.2005.09.13.17.04.13.367676@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old September 16th 05, 11:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Herman Tibbs

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

I have to agree with this posting. The stock heatsink does a fine job.
This generation of AMD processors has to be the coolest running I have
seen yet.

For me, noise is not that much of an issue beacuse I was running a
Vantac copper core cooler on the Athlon XP2400+ before and it's 6800 rpm
fan definitely made some noise. I am sitting inside a full tower (server
size) with a plethora of additional cooling.