Restoring Axcel 4630, HD problems

Old March 25th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Default Restoring Axcel 4630, HD problems

I hadn't fired up the 4630 in 2 yrs. Recalled it working fine back then.
It simply sat on the floor minding it's own business until yesterday. I
now find I cannot access the HD. Tried reading it in another PC and it
shows a directory structure but if I try to read a directory, the
working PC cannot do it. Scandisk crashes when trying to access the 4630
HD even when slaved to another PC. I "thnk" I recall seeing the word
"locked" while trying to access the HD as a slave unit.

When I try to run the 4630 on its own, it cannot load any OS. Scandisk
insists it cannot read the drive. I have tried using the restore CD, no
luck. I even tried formating the HD - "Attention: A serious disk error
has occured while writing to drive C." A popup type screen asks if I
would like to retry (r)? reading the HD, it becomes an endless loop and
I need to reboot.

The PB restore disk sys info shows Windows 95 [version 4.00.950] and I
see another partition with DOS on it, most likely 6.22 can't remember
when I put that on but it worked fine back then.

If I try to delete a extended partition or any partition in Fdisk, it
can't write to the HD

Might it be the controller unit? The disk spins, the head moves, but I
simply cannot get it up and running, nor restore, nor repair. Never ran
into this type of problem before and I might as well learn from it.

I started up another HD with Win95b on the 4630 but I don't let it get
too far before halting the loading so it doesn't mess up the settings on
the HD OS. So I know the original HD is the problem, just don't know
what exactly is the problem. I can experiment is anyone has suggestions,
the HD is expendable and the files on it aren't important.
Old March 27th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

"Axcel 4630" wrote in message
[...]

Couple of things come to mind.

1- Did you replace the battery? If the unit sat for that long the CMOS
information has more than likely been lost.

2- After you replace the battery, go into the BIOS and select AUTOMATIC to
set the unit back to see the hard drive and others device settings.

I would not have done any type of attempt at restoring until I did that.

Also the power supply may have gone KAPUT while it sat. Did you try another
power supply to see if you have enough juice to even run the HD?

Just some suggestions.

I hope I helped?

Elector

Old March 29th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It won't
fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and restored the
original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just never had a HD
die before and wondered if the HD controller or some other mechanical or
electronic failure is the cause.

Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
hiding on the clone.dell group.
Old March 29th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Actually once you followed a simple logic the problem was solved by
yourself.
You checked it out in another PC and knew it was bad
You then tried a known working HD and proved the system was good.

They soemtimes die
People die also
here today gone tomorrow.

Most electronic things go on startup
Although they can go anytime

The controoller was not the cause
Mechanical would be the heads binding
Electrical could be anything

Old March 29th 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Axcel 4630 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It
won't fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and
restored the original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just
never had a HD die before and wondered if the HD controller or some
other mechanical or electronic failure is the cause.

Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
hiding on the clone.dell group.

Have you heard of the old "put the HD in the freezer for a while" then try?
Sometimes works for a variety of reasons but if it does don't count on it
permanently. If it works, you'll have some time to get files off.

Old March 29th 06, 08:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

I only place food in my freezer.
When and if I have a HD failure.
I will rely on my Raid
I also have a backup and restore on CD

I do not futz with bad or tempermental parts
Not worth my time

But I will give your idea av try if I ever get to that point
"mdp" wrote in message
Axcel 4630 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It
won't fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and
restored the original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just
never had a HD die before and wondered if the HD controller or some
other mechanical or electronic failure is the cause.

Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
hiding on the clone.dell group.

Have you heard of the old "put the HD in the freezer for a while" then
try? Sometimes works for a variety of reasons but if it does don't count
on it permanently. If it works, you'll have some time to get files off.

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 8th 05 12:29 AM
KR7A-RAID locking up, sound problems Martin Abit Motherboards 5 December 28th 04 01:04 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 10:41 PM
FX problems. Drivers or hardware? NickNick Nvidia Videocards 6 September 15th 03 12:01 AM