Windows hangs after switching to SATA

Old July 24th 05, 05:35 AM

Default Windows hangs after switching to SATA

A while back I bought a 80GB SATA HDD, an upgrade from 40GB PATA. Now
Windows will start to load hang and then go ahead and load. The
problem occurse when the "loading windows" screen starts to fade in.
It will fade in 50% hang for about ten seconds then continue on. I
have ran fixmbr and checked the boot.ini. Any other suggestions?
SYS specs:
Chaintech 7NJL6
Athlon XP 3000+
512MB

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Sto...pict59399.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300724
Old July 24th 05, 06:24 AM
Rod Speed

C wrote

A while back I bought a 80GB SATA HDD, an upgrade from 40GB PATA.
Now Windows will start to load hang and then go ahead and load. The
problem occurse when the "loading windows" screen starts to fade in.
It will fade in 50% hang for about ten seconds then continue on. I
have ran fixmbr and checked the boot.ini. Any other suggestions?

How did you copy the drive to the new one ?

Thats most likely the problem, you need to ensure
that XP cant see both the new copy and the original
on the first boot after the copy has been done.

Do the copy again and do that bit correctly.

SYS specs:
Chaintech 7NJL6
Athlon XP 3000+
512MB

Old July 24th 05, 10:35 PM

"" wrote:
C wrote

A while back I bought a 80GB SATA HDD, an upgrade from 40GB

PATA.
Now Windows will start to load hang and then go ahead and

load. The
problem occurse when the "loading windows" screen starts to

fade in.
It will fade in 50% hang for about ten seconds then continue

on. I
have ran fixmbr and checked the boot.ini. Any other

suggestions?

How did you copy the drive to the new one ?

Thats most likely the problem, you need to ensure
that XP cant see both the new copy and the original
on the first boot after the copy has been done.

Do the copy again and do that bit correctly.

SYS specs:
Chaintech 7NJL6
Athlon XP 3000+
512MB

I don’t have the original drive anymore. Is there a way I can check
that out manually?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Sto...pict59399.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300868
Old July 25th 05, 06:35 PM

"" wrote:
C wrote
Rod Speed wrote
C wrote

[...]

Yes, it is possible to fix it now.

The simplest approach is to boot the XP install CD and proceed
as if you are going to do a clean install of XP on the new
drive.
It will eventually say that it can see XP on the drive and
will offer
to repair that installation. That repair will make it
bootable.

If you dont even have the XP install CD, its still
possible to fix it, but is a bit more fiddly to fix.

Originally i used symantic ghost to disk-to-disk the old to new. I
also have tried running the repair(the second one) as well as fixmbr
on the first available repair. What is your other suggestiong? Thanks

--
Posted using the
http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Old July 25th 05, 08:13 PM
Rod Speed

C wrote:
Rod Speed wrote
C wrote
Rod Speed
wrote
C wrote

[...]

Yeah, that figures, you usally get that result with ghost.

I also have tried running the repair(the second one)

What happened with that ?

as well as fixmbr on the first available repair.
What is your other suggestion ?

Try
http://support.microsoft.com/default...305595&sd=tech
and see if you can get it to boot that way. If you can, move the boot.ini to
the hard drive, replacing the existing one. Its hidden on the hard drive, so
you will have to untick the hide hidden and system files in the Tools in
Explorer.

Try multi(1) if that doesnt work.

Old July 25th 05, 09:36 PM
Peter

The
problem occurse when the "loading windows" screen starts to fade in.
It will fade in 50% hang for about ten seconds then continue on.

So it hangs (no further activity) or just hesitates for ten seconds, but
then it continues normally?

Old July 25th 05, 10:01 PM
Rod Speed

C wrote:

A while back I bought a 80GB SATA HDD, an upgrade from 40GB PATA.
Now Windows will start to load hang and then go ahead and load. The
problem occurse when the "loading windows" screen starts to fade in.
It will fade in 50% hang for about ten seconds then continue on.

Whoops, read that too quickly. Thats an entirely separate problem.

When you did the repair, did you use the initial option
to load the drivers off floppy for the SATA channel.

Old July 26th 05, 05:17 AM

Hi,
I think u have to make a change in the Bios. There is an option " Run
in combined mode"
what's mean " ata, sata". Anyway maybe you'll need an update for ur
bios.
Regards.