Windows Update in Windows 10 keeps trying to update an old driverthat's been removed

Old February 22nd 17, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Windows Update in Windows 10 keeps trying to update an old driverthat's been removed

Windows Update is updating an old driver for the old Asus/Nvidia graphics card that I already took out. I had uninstalled all Nvidia software related to this old card using "Remove Programs". Googling this, I see in most new versions of Win10 (I have Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]) you: (1) cannot turn off Windows Update to block selective programs (i.e., hide the updates like in Windows 7 Update), and (2) Windows Update will at times over-write your hardware driver with what it thinks is the correct driver, a sort of Windows 95 .sys file battle, where each program tries to write to the .sys file to be the last one loaded (if you recall the early days).

Sucks!

I hope, when I install the new video card later this week, which has an Nvidia chipset, that the correct driver gets loaded (the new card also has software). I also suspect, just like with anti-virus programs back in the days (less so today), the sellers of such programs deliberately make it hard to uninstall the programs. Here I would not be surprised if NVIDIA s/w developers made it hard to uninstall their software (it's hidden in the registry somewhere). I should have used some professional program remover that also does a deep clean of the registry rather than rely on the Windows program remove.

RL

PS--I have checked Device Manager and the old card is not showing up there, so it's not so easy to uninstall any driver.
Old February 26th 17, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 12:37:55 PM UTC-5, RayLopez99 wrote:
[...]

Turns out this was a feature of the video card and/or card driver that was not easy to remove; I did manage somehow to disable it, but never to remove it. I ended up getting rid of the video card, which was from the Nvidia family (an overpriced stock at the moment, btw) and my video problems disappeared.