A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Windows Update in Windows 10 keeps trying to update an old driverthat's been removed

Old February 22nd 17, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99
external usenet poster

Default Windows Update in Windows 10 keeps trying to update an old driverthat's been removed

Windows Update is updating an old driver for the old Asus/Nvidia graphics card that I already took out. I had uninstalled all Nvidia software related to this old card using "Remove Programs". Googling this, I see in most new versions of Win10 (I have Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]) you: (1) cannot turn off Windows Update to block selective programs (i.e., hide the updates like in Windows 7 Update), and (2) Windows Update will at times over-write your hardware driver with what it thinks is the correct driver, a sort of Windows 95 .sys file battle, where each program tries to write to the .sys file to be the last one loaded (if you recall the early days).

Sucks!

I hope, when I install the new video card later this week, which has an Nvidia chipset, that the correct driver gets loaded (the new card also has software). I also suspect, just like with anti-virus programs back in the days (less so today), the sellers of such programs deliberately make it hard to uninstall the programs. Here I would not be surprised if NVIDIA s/w developers made it hard to uninstall their software (it's hidden in the registry somewhere). I should have used some professional program remover that also does a deep clean of the registry rather than rely on the Windows program remove.

RL

PS--I have checked Device Manager and the old card is not showing up there, so it's not so easy to uninstall any driver.
Old February 26th 17, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99
external usenet poster

Default Windows Update in Windows 10 keeps trying to update an old driverthat's been removed

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 12:37:55 PM UTC-5, RayLopez99 wrote:
Windows Update is updating an old driver for the old Asus/Nvidia graphics card that I already took out. I had uninstalled all Nvidia software related to this old card using "Remove Programs". Googling this, I see in most new versions of Win10 (I have Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]) you: (1) cannot turn off Windows Update to block selective programs (i.e., hide the updates like in Windows 7 Update), and (2) Windows Update will at times over-write your hardware driver with what it thinks is the correct driver, a sort of Windows 95 .sys file battle, where each program tries to write to the .sys file to be the last one loaded (if you recall the early days).

Sucks!

I hope, when I install the new video card later this week, which has an Nvidia chipset, that the correct driver gets loaded (the new card also has software). I also suspect, just like with anti-virus programs back in the days (less so today), the sellers of such programs deliberately make it hard to uninstall the programs. Here I would not be surprised if NVIDIA s/w developers made it hard to uninstall their software (it's hidden in the registry somewhere). I should have used some professional program remover that also does a deep clean of the registry rather than rely on the Windows program remove.

RL

PS--I have checked Device Manager and the old card is not showing up there, so it's not so easy to uninstall any driver.

Turns out this was a feature of the video card and/or card driver that was not easy to remove; I did manage somehow to disable it, but never to remove it. I ended up getting rid of the video card, which was from the Nvidia family (an overpriced stock at the moment, btw) and my video problems disappeared.