MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

Old July 3rd 19, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Default MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

On 3/07/2019 6:49 AM, MaxTheFast wrote:
Another misunderstanding about my tests: I had tried ONLY ONCE to connect the enclosure with both cables (usb, esata-sata) and it worked in usb mode but in EVERY other tests I had used only esata-sata cable or only usb cable.
By the way today I got the CPU led error another time after my last attempt with esata-sata cable, then the bios has reset and booted with windows instead of ubuntu, then I entered the bios and set ubuntu as 1st OS, rebooted and got the CPU led error. It's amazing!

The ESATA port could be off an entirely different chip, than the six ports on the Southbridge. Make sure you're programming the correct chip.

As said I looked at that bios section but I found nothing else than setting sata ports on "hot plug" or not. The section is: settings\advanced\integrated peripherals "sata configuration". There I can set "sata mode" AHCI/RAID too but I guess it doesn't matter here, I can set "onboard lan configuration" and "audio configuration" too but I think these are not the way out. I can't set any other entry on sata ports afaik so I guess the Southbridge is only one.

So, who's the faulty? I'm going to give back the brand new esata-sata cable to amazon but before that I'd like to get a definitive judgement from you.

I'll say it again: I'm 98% sure that using a PCIe eSATA card and an eSATA - eSATA cable would get
it working.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 3rd 19, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

I've no doubt about that but the real problem is there's a certain possibility that my enclosure fails with its esata outgoing signal. If it is then a PCI won't work because it will have nothing to convert to.
I joined http://www.fantec-forum.de to tell my issue to them especially for the potential damage about usb-esata chips told above by Paul. I'm waiting approval to open my thread...

@Paul
As said my mobo has no esata port, only 6 sata ones. I can only keep my bios firmware up to date but I doubt something about an esata improvement will be done, anyway as you said there wouldn't be issues for a sata port to recognize an esata input, would it?
Old July 3rd 19, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I've no doubt about that but the real problem is there's a certain possibility that my enclosure fails with its esata outgoing signal. If it is then a PCI won't work because it will have nothing to convert to.
I joined
http://www.fantec-forum.de to tell my issue to them especially for the potential damage about usb-esata chips told above by Paul. I'm waiting approval to open my thread...

@Paul
As said my mobo has no esata port, only 6 sata ones. I can only keep my bios firmware up to date but I doubt something about an esata improvement will be done, anyway as you said there wouldn't be issues for a sata port to recognize an esata input, would it?

If you're using a SATA port to host ESATA,
remember to keep the total cable length
at 1 meter (36 inches) or less.

Real ESATA (enhanced launch amplitude and receive sensitivity)
gives 2 meters of cable total.

Whereas SATA doesn't have quite the same reach.

That would be the difference between the two.

When computing cable length, include the length
of cable used inside the computer (SATA cable to
PCI slot ESATA output) plus the length of external
cable.

One problem is, ESATA should only operate in SATA I
or SATA II mode. I gather that SATA III over a long
length of cable, is a non-starter. A proper ESATA
implementation, should prevent operation at
higher rates.

Some hard drives have a "Force150" jumper position.

SATA II drive, Force150 jumper gives SATA I rate

SATA III drive, Force jumper gives SATA II rate

Consequently, you can "jumper down" a SATA III HDD
before placing it in an ESATA enclosure, as an
aid to making it work with a "regular" SATA III port
on a motherboard.

Typically, you need to find a 2mm jumper plug,
to jumper down the drive. The jumper plugs aren't
0.1", as has been used in the past.

With an SSD, there is no jumper, and then you'd be
forced to use an ATA command of some sort, to force
operation at a lower rate. (Hitachi used to have a
tool for their own drives, because Hitachi hard drives
lacked the jumper block in question. The jumper block
on other brands is a 1x4.)

Many, many variables. Such fun.

Paul
Old July 3rd 19, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MaxTheFast

My esata-sata is a 3Gb/s 1m long delock cable (ean 4043619842902; ref 84290). You can get "datasheet" (let's call it like that) he https://www.delock.de/files/16067.download So its lenght is ok.
My sata ports are III gen.
My HDD is a 1TB 7200rpm WD black WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0. Here https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1991 you can see jumper settings @1.II paragraph and followings... it's arab for me. Anyway what about jumpers if my hdd relays within an enclosure? I guess I can set jumpers only when I place it within my case and not within my enclosure, right?
Old July 3rd 19, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

MaxTheFast wrote:
My esata-sata is a 3Gb/s 1m long delock cable (ean 4043619842902; ref 84290). You can get "datasheet" (let's call it like that) he https://www.delock.de/files/16067.download So its lenght is ok.
My sata ports are III gen.
My HDD is a 1TB 7200rpm WD black WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0. Here https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1991 you can see jumper settings @1.II paragraph and followings... it's arab for me. Anyway what about jumpers if my hdd relays within an enclosure? I guess I can set jumpers only when I place it within my case and not within my enclosure, right?

OK, so you have the ingredients for trouble

Host-SATAIII-port --------------- WD1003FZEX-SATAIII-drive
ESATA cable

It will try to run at SATA III, and the hardware "might
not have sufficient common sense" to not run at that
rate. There could be communications trouble as a result.

The Seagate has the 1x4 jumper block (2mm).

The WDC brand has a 2x4 jumper block (0.1").

You compare the jumper info on the label, to the
generic information here for WDC.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1991

For Force150 drives, they're calling this OPT1.

For Force300 drives, they're calling this PHY_Enabled.

In each case, pins 5-6 pair have a 0.1" jumper placed across them.

So WDC and Seagate aren't using the same jumper.
I checked the 1x4 block and it is 2mm.

I have two scales here, a plastic scale with mm
and a nice steel scale with 0.1" marks.

*******

The objective is, to pull the disk out of the enclosure,
jumper the Force300 pair (5-6 pins), put the drive
back in the enclosure, connect the ESATA cable and test.

Paul
Old July 4th 19, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MaxTheFast

Hi Paul, nothing to do with the 5-6 pins attempt. Any other test before giving the esata-sata cable back to amazon?
Old July 4th 19, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

MaxTheFast wrote:
Hi Paul, nothing to do with the 5-6 pins attempt. Any other test before giving the esata-sata cable back to amazon?

That's the only thing I can think of...

Is to jumper-down the drive, and try operation
of this setup at SATA II rates. Which is the
max for ESATA.

Paul
Old July 4th 19, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MaxTheFast

Nevermind. My last hope was to ask to fantec.de forum but I guess it's almost abandoned because nobody approved my join request until now!
Thanks anyway for your support, it was a deep and interesting experience to read and study your stuff.
Old July 15th 19, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MaxTheFast

Hi Paul and other folks. Now I'd like to try with a converter from enclosure's USB 3.0 type B port to mobo's SATA III port. I think this has definitely to work because fantec's usb connection by usb cable were always ok. I've an idea about the cable-converter and I'd like to share it and ask you for my mistakes if any.
I'd want to get this from amazon
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B077TRWR1J
and modify it by cutting away / hacking the power supply plug part by a saw or cutter, I mean only the light blue part with the L-shaped data plug will remain on sata plug light blue side. After that I'll get a simple usb adapter B male (enclosure) - A female (converter) like this
https://www.amazon.com/DTOL-Type-Fem.../dp/B000AA2SMS
and I'd able to connect my enclosure to mobo's sata. As already said above (much above ) the enclosure has its own power supply so this converter will only carry data on.
Do you think that will work?
Old July 15th 19, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

MaxTheFast wrote:
[...]

It would be less work to acquire a 2.5"/3.5" adapter.
One that comes with a 12V power adapter (for 3.5" drives).

https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Converte.../dp/B00MVRS38G

The one you selected, is good for 5V (2.5") drives only,
and with power requirements of less than 5V @ 900mA (bus power
limit of conventional USB3).

*******

I own more than one adapter here.

1) I have the USB3 to SATA cable (5V only) that you were
looking at. I use it with SATA SSD drives. I measure the
SSD drives in advance, to determine their power usage is
not too high.

2) I also own an enclosure with power supply (12V wall wart),
suitable for 2.5" or 3.5" drives. I have removed the
controller board from the enclosure. I don't use the
enclosure part, and just sit all the wires and junk on
the table when using it.

This requires no cutting and hacking of anything. I have
solutions for all occasional. I could do everything with
(2), but purchased (1) just so I could work on SSDs by
themselves. It's the best of both worlds. Big drives
get to use adapter (2).

Paul