Faulty RAM

Old May 12th 04, 03:58 PM
Chris Howells

Default Faulty RAM

Hi,

I bought some GeIL PC3700 RAM from Micro Direct
(www.microdirect.co.uk), and it is refusing to work in my MSI K7N2
Delta L motherboard (NForce2), no matther what combination of
installed memory modules, slots, BIOS settings, or whatever I choose.
The board simply refuses to POST; if I put the old Crucial PC2100 RAM
back in it works perfectly.

The GeIL web site (www.geilusa.com) lists my motherboard under the
"compatability" list, so naturally since it doesn't work, I want a
refund.

I did notice a clause on the invoice stating that "Due to the amount
of varied components available today Micro Direct is unfortunately
unable to guarantee compatability between all items sold. Returns
therefore found to be incompatible may also incur a handling charge".

Can they do this, even though the GeIL web site states that it is
compatible? Would it be best to RMA it back to them? Or take it up
with GeIL directly? Or take it up with the credit card company (Egg)
even though it cost £90 not £100?

Thanks a lot
Chris Howells

Old May 12th 04, 04:03 PM
Mike

"Chris Howells" wrote in message
om...
[...]

To anyone else. Do not touch microdirect their aftersales is shocking.
I wouldnt touch them with a bargepole now.

Old May 12th 04, 04:32 PM
Grant

"Chris Howells" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I bought some GeIL PC3700 RAM from Micro Direct
(www.microdirect.co.uk), and it is refusing to work in my MSI K7N2
Delta L motherboard (NForce2), no matther what combination of
installed memory modules, slots, BIOS settings, or whatever I choose.
The board simply refuses to POST; if I put the old Crucial PC2100 RAM
back in it works perfectly.

The GeIL web site (www.geilusa.com) lists my motherboard under the
"compatability" list, so naturally since it doesn't work, I want a
refund.

It could be down to BIOS version, update to the latest BIOS or failing that
try an older BIOS. Its bet to try all options before trying to get an RMA.

Old May 12th 04, 04:55 PM
Bagpuss

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:32:24 +0100, " Grant"
wrote:

It could be down to BIOS version, update to the latest BIOS or failing that
try an older BIOS. Its bet to try all options before trying to get an RMA.

I had the same problem with different RAM on a different mobo. Board
refused to POST, just a black screen, turned out, as I suspected, to
be a faulty chip on the memory module. Sometimes it happens.
Old May 12th 04, 05:37 PM
Doug Ramage

[...]

If the DSR apply, you can return it for any/no reason; a re-stocking fee is
not permitted.
--
Doug Ramage

Old May 12th 04, 06:42 PM
A clever name

"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

[...]

DSR doesn't cover items that have been used, so I wouldn;t have thought it
would apply in this case.

Old May 12th 04, 09:10 PM
Chris Howells

In article ,
" Grant" wrote:

It could be down to BIOS version, update to the latest BIOS or failing that
try an older BIOS. Its bet to try all options before trying to get an RMA.

That's possible I guess; I do have the most current BIOS version
installed, so I'll investigate if it will agree to flash with an older
version.

Thanks.
Old May 12th 04, 09:15 PM
Chris Howells

In article ,
Bagpuss wrote:

I had the same problem with different RAM on a different mobo. Board
refused to POST, just a black screen, turned out, as I suspected, to
be a faulty chip on the memory module. Sometimes it happens.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced that it is faulty; I put it into my
older machine, based on the SiS 745 chipset and it works absolutely fine
in there, the machine POSTs and the OS (FreeBSD 4.9) detects all 512MB
of it.

After a bit of googling I've discovered that other people have had
problems with the RAM in the same motherboard as me (NForce2). It seems
likely to me that whey they "test" it they'll simply say "it works" and
charge me the damn handling fee.

Which is why I'm wondering if the credit card company of GeIL themselves
would be the best option.

Grrr. Why oh why did I not do that before ordering the damn stuff. And I
wish I'd stuck with Crucial, at least they have excellent customer
service and a guarantee if it doesn't work

Cheers,
Chris Howells
Old May 12th 04, 11:56 PM
Pete G

[...]

I thought the MSI K7N2 Delta-L board only supported upto PC3200 (400mhz)
RAM.

Old May 13th 04, 12:33 AM
Chris Howells

In article ,
"Pete G" wrote:

I thought the MSI K7N2 Delta-L board only supported upto PC3200 (400mhz)
RAM.

http://www.geilusa.com/supportdetail.asp?linenumber=3:

"Q: Can I underclock GeIL memory?
A: Yes, GeIL Memory is backwards compatible and can be underclocked"