Laptop Purchase?

Old February 19th 04, 09:41 PM
Odie Ferrous

Try www.rapidpcs.co.uk in Christchurch, Dorset.

They're local to me and absolutely, totally above board - I can vouch
for them 110%.

They recently acquired an Acer laptop with a 17" TFT screen. Absolutely
amazing bit of kit.

No, I don't own shares in the place - I just use them for all my
computer bits and pieces.

Odie

Si wrote:

What's the best place for someone based in the UK to buy a laptop? I'd be
looking to spend approx £800 and obviously want the best laptop possible for
my money.

--
RETRODATA - The Data Recovery Experts
www.RetroData.co.uk
Old February 20th 04, 10:27 AM
Tiny Tim

Si wrote:
What's the best place for someone based in the UK to buy a laptop?
I'd be looking to spend approx £800 and obviously want the best
laptop possible for my money.

Here's a thought - a bit more than you were looking to spend but in terms of
bang per buck, quite an interesting deal....

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/special...offers_nav.htm

To summarise....

Fully loaded 3.06 GHz laptop £999.99
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor
supporting Hyper-Threading Technology
533MHz FSB, with APC & Smart Power
.. Multi Format DVD Burner
.. DVD R/RW**
.. WIRELESS LAN 11MBit/s
.. NVIDIA GeForce 128MB FX5600
.. 60 GB Hard Disk
.. 24 month manufacturer warranty
.. Carry Bag
.. Huge software package
I understand that aftersales service is very good if there are problems.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old February 20th 04, 10:42 AM
Bagpuss

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:27:14 -0000, "Tiny Tim"
wrote:

Si wrote:
[...]

Jeeeeezus, thats a lot for the money. I paid £700 not much over a year
ago for a PIII 1.1Ghz, 256MB machine with 20Gb HD, but then it was a
Toshiba machine so there is a certain amount of add on for the brand.
Ohh wouldn't mind selling mine and getting one of those.
Old February 20th 04, 02:34 PM
sunnybank35

To summarise....

Fully loaded 3.06 GHz laptop £999.99
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor
supporting Hyper-Threading Technology
533MHz FSB, with APC & Smart Power
. Multi Format DVD Burner
. DVD R/RW**
. WIRELESS LAN 11MBit/s
. NVIDIA GeForce 128MB FX5600
. 60 GB Hard Disk
. 24 month manufacturer warranty
. Carry Bag
. Huge software package
I understand that aftersales service is very good if there are problems.

Jeeeeezus, thats a lot for the money. I paid £700 not much over a year
ago for a PIII 1.1Ghz, 256MB machine with 20Gb HD, but then it was a
Toshiba machine so there is a certain amount of add on for the brand.
Ohh wouldn't mind selling mine and getting one of those.

I`ve just had their flyer - an A3 broadsheet devoted to this laptop.
The specification is certainly impressive but for a laugh you must read the
terms of the insurance/warranty - seems they couldn`t afford a translator
with a bit of legal experience. And beware - but I suspect this part may not
be legal - the contract is subject to Austrian law. So if you have a claim
that goes sour, how do you fancy a trip to Linz, Austria (at your own
expense, of course)?

Good luck, Alan.

Old February 20th 04, 08:00 PM
Brian H......

Rob wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:55:48 -0000, "Pinot Grigio"
pinot.grigio@somewhere wrote:

snip

BTW What's your opinion on refurbished laptops? Are they worth it?
There are some cracking deals available if I got one of them....

Me being a cynic, I ask myself why are they refurbished? After all,
they must be reasonably new so what was wrong with them?

Big problem with secondhand / refurb laptops is the battery.

I would factor in the cost of a new battery, or consider one only if
most of its life is going to be AC connected....

-Rob

Disagree entirely.

Now on 3rd second user, ex corperate laptop, 2 Tosh, now
Thinkpad T22, extended family have puchased 12 laptops over
4yrs, all have been Tosh, Dell, IBM, all bought from local guy.

None have had battery probs, all upgraded memory to 258.
No dead pixals and virtually unmarked.

T22 still has 16months warranty(IBM) left, each cost less than
450ukp. including OS of choice and all accessories.

Regards

Brian H................

Walk the dogs to reply

Old February 20th 04, 08:48 PM
Brian H......

Brian H...... wrote:
Rob wrote:
[...]

Should read "memory to 256ram"

Old February 22nd 04, 11:22 PM
Pete C

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:23:42 -0000, "Si" wrote:

What's the best place for someone based in the UK to buy a laptop? I'd be
looking to spend approx £800 and obviously want the best laptop possible for
my money.

Dell have some good bargains on their outlet at the moment.

cheers,
Pete.

A S-Video connection fried both my laptop and TV! Help needed! [email protected] General 2 March 2nd 05 06:31 PM
Quick Question about a laptop...purchase.... Chris Gray Dell Computers 2 October 15th 04 02:15 PM
Help with laptop purchase gardenia Dell Computers 3 July 17th 04 11:37 AM
Laptop Purchase? Si General 15 February 22nd 04 11:22 PM
Laptop Purchase wendy Dell Computers 3 January 6th 04 07:28 AM