Gigabyte X48-DS4 POST Problem: Replacement MoBo?

Old August 19th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JR Weiss

Default Gigabyte X48-DS4 POST Problem: Replacement MoBo?

My Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 is still acting up. When I reboot the computer, I get the
standard 1 short beep, then the POST hangs at the memory test with "Memory T" as
the last message showing. If I leave it there, it will resume and boot in 10
minutes or so (I never sat at the screen long enough to actually time it), as
masterprometheus indicated a while back in another forum. I still cannot find
any references to the problem, and Gigabyte does not admit to it.

I've already done all the troubleshooting I can do (remove all peripherals and
replace 1 at a time, update BIOS from F1 to F2), and the problem persists.

Now Gigabyte sez to submit an RMA request, but my wife (it's her
embroidery/quilting design computer) doesn't want to go without the computer for
the 3 weeks they say it will take to troubleshoot and return it. So, I am
getting ready to buy another Mobo to replace this one. If I get a new X48-DS4
back, I'll replace an older Mobo in another machine and sell the old one (or
keep it as a backup).

Dilemma is: Buy another X48-DS4 (or, I just found there is a DS5...) or try out
a different brand? I have a P35-DS4 in my other machine, and it runs fine. I
don't know if this is going to be a recurring problem with Gigabyte, so I'm
looking for experiences & recommendations for alternatives. I will keep the
Q9450, 2x2 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066, HD3850 gfx, and all other peripherals.

I realize Mobo preferences are personal, but would like some input for a Mobo
with similar price and performance.

Below is some history:

"masterprometheus" wrote...

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Q9450, 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reaper.

Was running fine until I had to reboot after some maintenance (Runs F@H SMP +
GPU clients). I get the standard single beep at the BIOS screen, but then it
hangs at

Memory T

Same place after several tries -- reset and power off. Even after an hour of
cooldown (running in a basement at ~65F).

The obvious guess is a failure in one of the RAM sticks. Anything else that
might do it?

This is apparently a known problem with Gigabyte boards. It looks like if
you wait for a long time , for example 5 to 10 mins , the system will
actually complete the boot procedure and when Windows starts everything will
run fine. I believe this has to do more with the BIOS looking for some
devices than a faulty hardware preventing the boot. Some theories :

OK; I'm trying that now. No luck with pulling out all cards and USB stuff,
single-stick RAM (tried both), and swapping RAM to slots 2/4 instead of 1/3...

1. There are devices connected like external drives , flash drives, hubs etc.
Those are known to confuse some BIOSes.
2. It seems iPODs and especially charging them through USB ports can be a
factor.
3. A plain BIOS problem. Updating or downgrading could eliminate the problem.

Try to unplug everything that is not necessary and also try a PS/2 keyb+mouse
combo instead of usb ones (if you're using USB mouse and keyb.)

None of these have been changed in the past couple months. It's been working
fine until now.

Unfortunately, I cannot even get into the BIOS Setup screen -- the freeze is
solid where it is.

Old May 11th 10, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
truskool

Hi.
Did any one ever resolve ur issue?
I have the same problem and have scoured all forums. No luck.
It started happening for me after a bios update.
But going back to original bios has not resolved the issue.
I have a gigabyte ga x48 dq6.
Please help. Its my DAW.

Old May 14th 10, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Gabriel Knight[_3_]

Hi I have an X48-DS5 (F5 ver.) I have had no problems with it but it comes
with a program to save power up to 70% through the mobo or something but I
just dont see a need for it so I dont install it. I have a big 3D card
samwitched in the case - Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512Mb, and a Q9550 quad
core CPU @ 2.83, I reccomend getting a pc case that has a temperature guage
as my CPU dose get a bit warm from some games and video authoring. The
X48-DS5 has two PCIE busses for SLI video I cant afford another card so I
dont know what two are like. Its good as far as USB go mine has 10 USB, 6 at
the back of the board and I have 4 at the top of my case. So far this board
has been good to me I reccomend getting one.

GK