Advice On A New Monitor.

Old October 25th 07, 12:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Advice On A New Monitor.

I am in need of a new monitor. I've been told a flat screen monitor
is the way to go. Could anyone advise me of a good one? I don't want
to spend a lot of money on one. I have no idea how much they cost,
but I was hoping to spend approximately $400. and under.
Thank you all in advicance.

Old October 25th 07, 12:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Oct 25, 7:31 am, wrote:
I am in need of a new monitor. I've been told a flat screen monitor
is the way to go. Could anyone advise me of a good one? I don't want
to spend a lot of money on one. I have no idea how much they cost,
but I was hoping to spend approximately $400. and under.
Thank you all in advicance.

Sorry about the typo, what I meant was "advance".

Old October 25th 07, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brett Kline

helensilverburg wrote:
I am in need of a new monitor. I've been told a flat screen monitor
is the way to go. Could anyone advise me of a good one? I don't want
to spend a lot of money on one. I have no idea how much they cost,
but I was hoping to spend approximately $400. and under.
Thank you all in advicance.

Samsung 932B+ LCD Monitor, 19"
Item Number 696632
$279.95CAN
Response Time: 5ms
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
Brightness: 300cd/m2
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 native
MagicBright2, MagicTune with Asset Management.
3-year Limited Warranty.

Samsung 940NW LCD Monitor, 19"
$189.95CAN
Features:
Response Time: 5ms
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
Brightness: 300cd/m2
Maximum Resolution: 1440 x 900
Analog RGB, DVI Digital Link
Viewing Angle: 160°/160°
Magic Colour, MagicTune and MagicBright 2 Technologies.
3-year Manufacturer's Limited Warranty.

Your local Staples store should carry both of these models.

I suggest you shop in person to see exactly whay you're buying. Also,
Staples Canada has a very good return policy in the event of dead or stuck
pixels. Do not be tempted to purchase any extended warranty.

Canada Computers is another good retailer in and around TO.
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...& mfg=SAMSUNG

http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/

Old October 25th 07, 01:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Oct 25, 8:08 am, "Brett Kline" wrote:
helensilverburg wrote:
[...]

Canada Computers is another good retailer in and around TO.http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...d=pl&id=MT.983...

http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/

Holy Smokes!! Thanks so much for that fantastic information! I shall
indeed check it out! Thanks Brett!
Helen

Old October 25th 07, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brett Kline

helensilverburg wrote:

Holy Smokes!! Thanks so much for that fantastic information! I shall
indeed check it out! Thanks Brett!
Helen

My pleasure Helen. Please do post back with your findings. I have a feeling
you will love an LCD monitor.

Old October 25th 07, 01:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Oct 25, 8:30 am, "Brett Kline" wrote:
helensilverburg wrote:

Holy Smokes!! Thanks so much for that fantastic information! I shall
indeed check it out! Thanks Brett!
Helen

My pleasure Helen. Please do post back with your findings. I have a feeling
you will love an LCD monitor.

I checked out Staples website for this one:Samsung 940NW LCD Monitor,
19"
and it's exactly as you described. Right now they are out of stock,
but I'm in no hurry. I can wait. It's a great price and a 3 year
warranty!
It's getting close to Christmas so I don't want to spend too much on
myself.
I will indeed report back and let you know how it went.
Again thank you so very much Brett. :-)
Helen

Old October 25th 07, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in need of a new monitor. I've been told a flat screen monitor
is the way to go. Could anyone advise me of a good one? I don't want
to spend a lot of money on one. I have no idea how much they cost,
but I was hoping to spend approximately $400. and under.
Thank you all in advicance.

Before we can advise you on monitor - what do you want to do on the PC?

Photo/video editing requires perfect colour reproduction, so generally
advise CRT

Gaming requires fast refresh, so expensive LCD or CRT.

General Windows work - anything.

What resolution are you used to / do you want?

What are your thoughts on deskspace (actual desk - where the keyboard/mouse
is). Tight on space - get an LCD, plenty of space - save money and get CRT.

Etc.

Old October 25th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Oct 25, 9:10 am, "GT" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I am in need of a new monitor. I've been told a flat screen monitor
is the way to go. Could anyone advise me of a good one? I don't want
to spend a lot of money on one. I have no idea how much they cost,
but I was hoping to spend approximately $400. and under.
Thank you all in advicance.

Before we can advise you on monitor - what do you want to do on the PC?

Photo/video editing requires perfect colour reproduction, so generally
advise CRT

Gaming requires fast refresh, so expensive LCD or CRT.

General Windows work - anything.

What resolution are you used to / do you want?

What are your thoughts on deskspace (actual desk - where the keyboard/mouse
is). Tight on space - get an LCD, plenty of space - save money and get CRT.

Etc.

Forgive me but I don't know computers as well as you folks. What I do
is just general email, type manuscripts, etc. What I do daily is view
photographs and seeing the proper exposure and colour is important to
me. I don't use Photoshop but I do use Microsoft Office Picture
Manager. Only to crop or adjust exposure on certain photos.
Helen

Old October 25th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Oct 25, 9:43 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
said something like:

I am in need of a new monitor. I've been told a flat screen monitor
is the way to go. Could anyone advise me of a good one? I don't want
to spend a lot of money on one. I have no idea how much they cost,
but I was hoping to spend approximately $400. and under.
Thank you all in advicance.

Just a small nit-pick that may save you a smidgeon of confusion.

The term "flat screen" is risky. It was originally (and still is actually)
used to describe standard CRT monitors which happened to have a flat-ish
screen in front. If, for instance, you look on craigslist.com for "flat
screen" you will find multiple folks selling these.

The only reason I bring this up is that you may not want to jump in your car
and drive 45 minutes for the "flat screen" that is on sale for $40.

I understand. Thanks for that heads-up!
Helen

LCD monitor advice Dave General 10 April 15th 06 11:26 AM
LCD monitor advice Dave General 0 April 13th 06 04:21 AM
lcd monitor advice Davidy Gateway Computers 1 October 31st 04 11:31 AM
Dell Monitor Advice Bal Dell Computers 15 December 3rd 03 09:33 PM
Monitor advice please Spoon Homebuilt PC's 8 November 24th 03 04:59 PM