Most sensitive MP3 player for recording meetings?

Old July 9th 06, 06:51 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Gaz

Default Most sensitive MP3 player for recording meetings?

Dr Teeth wrote:
I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when lordy
opened his gob and said:

How is this illegal?

AIUI it is the same law that makes it illegal to video a public place
without notification (that's the reason for all those CCTV notices).

Also, IANAL.

It is not illegal to video a public place. The CCTV notices are more about
legal loopholes if the information is going to be used for evidence
purposes, and for privacy purposes if the information is archived.

Gaz

Old July 9th 06, 06:53 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Gaz

Dr Teeth wrote:
Info found
http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/counci...versations.htm

Absolutely classic, we have had Human Rights and DPA used as excuses, now
RIPA.

None of these apply to individuals, the advice is about 'bodies'.

Try again.

Gaz

Old July 9th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Tx2

In article ,
says...

"Wedell" wrote in message
This would be done COVERTLY.

This would be illegal.

He wasn't looking for legal advice.

It's still illegal.

And he still isn't looking for legal advice
Old July 9th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Noel Paton

opened his gob and said:

How is this illegal?

AIUI it is the same law that makes it illegal to video a public place
without notification (that's the reason for all those CCTV notices).

Also, IANAL.

It is not illegal to video a public place. The CCTV notices are more about
legal loopholes if the information is going to be used for evidence
purposes, and for privacy purposes if the information is archived.

If an individual isn't a body, WTF is?? - 'body' is an all-embracing term.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Old July 9th 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Gaz

Noel Paton wrote:
opened his gob and said:

How is this illegal?

AIUI it is the same law that makes it illegal to video a public place
without notification (that's the reason for all those CCTV notices).

Also, IANAL.

It is not illegal to video a public place. The CCTV notices are more
about
legal loopholes if the information is going to be used for evidence
purposes, and for privacy purposes if the information is archived.

If an individual isn't a body, WTF is?? - 'body' is an all-embracing term.

No it is not, an individual is by no means can be defined by 'bodies'.

I am not here to give legal advice, if you think you are covered and need to
register go ahead. I have some magic beans to sell you as well.

A lot of **** and bad advice exists out there, when challenged, usually
backed up by some vague reference to the HRA and DPA, to add extra impact,
it seems FOI and RIPA is now also invoked..

You as an individual can record any conversation you wish, as long as you
are party to that conversation, you are under no obligation to make the
other party aware of it.

You as an individual can video tape any public place, except such places
where permits might be required.
You as an individual can set up CCTV to protect your own property, and do
with the recordings as you wish. However, if your CCTV records the property
of others you could be open to charges of harrasment.

Gaz

Old July 9th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Conor

In article , Gaz says...
Dr Teeth wrote:
Info found
http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/counci...versations.htm

Absolutely classic, we have had Human Rights and DPA used as excuses, now
RIPA.

None of these apply to individuals, the advice is about 'bodies'.

Actually it does. You should reaqd some documentation about being Self
Employed which mentiones that you must ensure you comply with the DPA.

--
Conor
Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships

Cashback on online purchases:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
Old July 9th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Marcus Houlden

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 06:49:56 +0100, Gaz
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:40:32 GMT, lordy

On 2006-07-08, Dr Teeth wrote:
I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Will
opened his gob and said:

This would be done COVERTLY.

This would be illegal.

How is this illegal?

From OP I assume this is not a telephone conversation, so what law
covers this.

Where to begin? The Data Protection Act would be a start. Section II of
the
RIP Act would be another. There would probably be more depending on the
purpose of the covert recording. If it's employment related it could be
extremely serious.

And how does the DPA apply to individuals?

Section 5(3)(a) (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/80029--a.htm#5)

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Old July 9th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
DEB

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Will
opened his gob and said:

This would be done COVERTLY.

This would be illegal.

That would depend on what you are planning on doing with the recording!

Old July 9th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Vittorio Janus

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:33:01 +0100, Dr Teeth
wrote:

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Will
opened his gob and said:

This would be done COVERTLY.

This would be illegal.

This does not appear to be significantly different from one of the
News Of The Screws stings. Although the 'victims' have screamed loud
and long, I've never heard of the Newspapers being prosecuted.

One's first thoughts are that this is rather nasty and unpleasant, but
that doesn't make it illegal. Second thoughts are that there are a
number of perfectly valid scenarios for covert recording - the nasty
and unpleasant bit *might* be on the other side of the recording.

For the OP - I generally find most queries can be answered by google.
Start off with the search term "covert recording" and refine it as
necessary.

Regards,
vj
Old July 9th 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Gaz

On 2006-07-08, Dr Teeth wrote:
I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Will
opened his gob and said:

This would be done COVERTLY.

This would be illegal.

How is this illegal?

From OP I assume this is not a telephone conversation, so what law
covers this.

Where to begin? The Data Protection Act would be a start. Section II of
the
RIP Act would be another. There would probably be more depending on the
purpose of the covert recording. If it's employment related it could be
extremely serious.

And how does the DPA apply to individuals?

Section 5(3)(a) (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/80029--a.htm#5)

erm no, that defines who is a data controller, and how to define if that
person is a resident of the UK. The act does not apply to individuals, it
applies to businesses. The liability however is for a named person with the
business, ie a data controller.

If you are not a data controller then the act does not apply to you as an
individual. The act is their to cover commerical and not for profit data
usage. A named individual via the 'data controller' is a means to make sure
someone is criminally responsible, not to make the act cover individuals in
general.

Gaz

mh.