LCD tech maturing ?

Old January 21st 05, 08:52 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:35:35 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"Gama Chameleon" wrote
in message ...
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:38:19 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Erm they still turn up broken on occasions. Its just that to throw
away an egg box is considerably more cost effective than scrapping LCD
pannels.

They can make LCD panels with no dead pixels if they wanted to.

Yep they do. They are called class I pannels.

And I don't see that mentioned in any of the specs that I can find, nor

in
any of the guarantee's that I read.

I'll have a look at the back of the TFTs here. I would have thought it
woudl be somewhere in the small print else they would have to conform
to Class I. Also worth cheking the text that is usually part of the
back of the display.

Kinda hard to look at the bad of a display on a website.

eh?

I presume you mean the back of the display.

Its also kind of hard to look at the manuals from a web site too. Its
probably worth going into one of your local stores and doing a bit of
research there.
--
Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
You come and glow, you come and glow.
Old January 21st 05, 08:58 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:17:38 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

snip

Seems like only selling product with no dead pixels will
raise the price. If you're willing to pay the difference
then certainly you deserve one with no dead pixels, but if
you just want to pay lowest price for best (all-around)
specs?

Except that the crappy cheap panels drive the decent quality panels out of
the market, making them harder to find and even MORE expensive.

Appart from that is the exact opposite of what is happening at the
moment. The cheaper pannels are helping to subsidise the production of
better pannels. This is coupled with the lack of sales of higher
priced pannels forcing the price down to shif thte stock in order to
produce the newer pannels. This is why the price has dropped so much
recently.

Eventually, yes the good quality pannels will become a tiny niche
market, but thats mostly becuase stupid people thnk that its more
important to have a 3.6 Ghz machine over a 3.4Ghz machine rather than
a cacky old out of calibration display over a clear sharp high quality
unit. But I guess thats because there isn't a 3DMark a display so that
the nerd hardware review web sites can say how display x is so much
better than display y.
Old January 21st 05, 05:00 PM
Ian Stirling

In uk.comp.vendors DevilsPGD wrote:
In message Ian
Stirling wrote:

In uk.comp.vendors Noozer wrote:
I want a zero defect pixel display now, garuanteed with no
defects....ever. Aat a price where there is no way in hell you can

snip
They can ship truckloads of eggs hundreds of miles without having to sell
broken eggs to consumers.

Consider that if you have a similar number of broken eggs to dead pixels,
you'd have one broken egg every 20 or so trucks.

The difference isn't whether or not eggs get broken vs LCDs get broken,
it's that the grocery store doesn't try to sell you 12 eggs if one or
more are broken.

They'll either discount it at the till or get you a full dozen.

That's the point.
You can't swap out dead pixels, so you've got to have a really, really low
failure rate.

LCD tech maturing ? burchill General 40 January 21st 05 05:00 PM
My horrible ATI tech support call Lydokane Ati Videocards 12 July 25th 04 12:57 AM
LITEON's dark secret? No Longer a LiteOn Customer Homebuilt PC's 49 April 15th 04 04:41 AM
Lite-On's dark secret? No Longer a LiteOn Customer Cdr 11 January 25th 04 04:54 PM
Here we go again.--Dell 8250 bad 200 gig hard drive again? & Dell's Tech line drcwks Dell Computers 1 July 17th 03 04:42 AM