IDE storage prices tumbling?

Old September 28th 04, 03:05 PM
Daniel James

In article , TMack
wrote:
SNIP!

Yeah, it was kinda longish. Sorry.

Gosh - I think we've had an intelligent debate - and reached a fair measure
of agreement which is quite unusual on usenet.

I hope so ...

I'm not sure, though, now that you mention it, that anything the wording
at http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.comp.vendors.html says anything to exclude
the OP's post ...

[snip]
... the group is for discussion about named vendors or to
request information about vendors, not for discussion about the general
business of buying and selling. Basically, its where people go to recommend
particular vendors (occasionally), criticise particular vendors
(frequently!) or ask where is the best pace in the uk to buy stuff.

Yes, I know what it's meant for ... my point was that the charter doesn't
actually say that ("discussion of issues surrounding" covers a multitude of
sins) so even consulting the charter isn't always enough to know whether a
posting is on-topic for a particular group.

Usenet's low signal to noise ratio is well known and unfortunate ... but some
of the most interesting discussions I've followed and participated in have
been off-topic. I'd hate to have the thought police spoil *all* the fun.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old October 1st 04, 08:53 AM
TMack

"David Rorgh" wrote in message

SNIP

I go by what is accepted by the group members. Not one complained
about the crossposts.

I did!

Also agroup which discusses vendors will be
aware of factors which help answer my question about falling prices.

Irrelevant. A group such as uk.comp.vendors will have people who are aware
of many issues to do with computers - that doesn't make all computer-related
discussions on-topic. Anyway, the main point that I was making was NOT
about you original post being OT. It was about the fact that it was
crossposted to hardware discussion groups in a way that was BOUND to result
in substantial numbers of VERY OT replies appearing in uk.comp.vendors

uk.comp.vendors also discusses comparative prices. Have a look
through some
threads there to see what I mean.

No need to look at threads - look at the charter. i.e. "This
newsgroup is for the disussion of issues surrounding computer
hardware/software vendors in the UK." Which particular UK
vendors were you discussing? You didn't even request
information about any particular vendors - you simply tried to
start a discussion about prices in general and the effects of
SATA. Didn't it occur to you that the crosspost would result in
OT material being posted to uk.comp.vendors? I suspect that it
didn't because you didn't read the charter before posting.

I have a feeling you almost have a need inside you to go over to
uk.comp.vendors and do some netcopping. I know you would be kept
busy there because there are many examples of what you are
complaining about.

Er...no there aren't "many examples". The vast majority of posts are
on-topic and very few get crossposted to hardware discussion groups - and
save the "netcopping" stuff - its the standard lame diversionary tactic used
by everyone who gets called for OT posting, inappropriate crossposting etc.
etc.

Tony

Old October 13th 04, 02:29 AM
gust

chrisv wrote in

10 years ago, the biggest IDE drive you could get was a 1G, and most
PC's were still being sold with 540MB and smaller drives. I know this
is correct, because I bought a PC (Dell P90) almost exactly 10 years
ago, and 1G was definitely "the king". 8)

yep ...... my IBM P-75 came with a 540

I am sure because my Mom still uses it at her beach house for email

and that is worth a smile ....

Old October 13th 04, 02:51 AM
Impmon

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:59:04 +0100, Davis Rorgh wrote:

I know it's all "faster and cheaper" with a lot of computer equipment but it
seems that HDDs have really taken a big drop.

I know this is an old post but if you take a look at the past history,
the price is always dropping. At times, it may be going down just a
few pennies, and other time it takes a mighty big drop.

I remember when an 80 MB hard drive used to sell at about $2000. Back
then, most computer didn't have more than 1MB of RAM, B&W only video,
and (other than big commercial uses like banks) the idea of needing
more than a few MB of storeage was ludicrous.

Today for the same $2000, I could probably build a RAID array with
around 3 or 4TB of storeage. But today, that much space is still
ludicrous.
Old October 13th 04, 05:43 AM
J. Clarke

Impmon wrote:

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:59:04 +0100, Davis Rorgh wrote:

I know it's all "faster and cheaper" with a lot of computer equipment but
it seems that HDDs have really taken a big drop.

I know this is an old post but if you take a look at the past history,
the price is always dropping. At times, it may be going down just a
few pennies, and other time it takes a mighty big drop.

I remember when an 80 MB hard drive used to sell at about $2000. Back
then, most computer didn't have more than 1MB of RAM, B&W only video,
and (other than big commercial uses like banks) the idea of needing
more than a few MB of storeage was ludicrous.

Today for the same $2000, I could probably build a RAID array with
around 3 or 4TB of storeage. But today, that much space is still
ludicrous.

Actually, with the advent of HDTV it's a lot less ludicrous than it was a
couple of years ago. At something like 20 gig an hour a terabyte's only 50
hours.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 14th 04, 09:23 PM
Cornelius J Rat

"Impmon" wrote

I remember when an 80 MB hard drive used to sell at about $2000. Back
then, most computer didn't have more than 1MB of RAM, B&W only video,
and (other than big commercial uses like banks) the idea of needing
more than a few MB of storeage was ludicrous.

I remember when a 2.5 MB disk was 14" across and used to sell for over
$5000. Now, where did I leave my teeth ?
I wasn't far wrong, either - http://www.pdp8.net/rk05/rk05.shtml says $5100

Old October 15th 04, 08:07 AM
Trevor Best

Cornelius J Rat wrote:
"Impmon" wrote

I remember when an 80 MB hard drive used to sell at about $2000. Back
then, most computer didn't have more than 1MB of RAM, B&W only video,
and (other than big commercial uses like banks) the idea of needing
more than a few MB of storeage was ludicrous.

I remember when a 2.5 MB disk was 14" across and used to sell for over
$5000. Now, where did I leave my teeth ?
I wasn't far wrong, either - http://www.pdp8.net/rk05/rk05.shtml says $5100

I remember something similar to that in Prestel (BT's old Teletext
thingy), the guy there was boasting about it holding a million
characters, as he carried it across the room I remember thinking
"where's his sword?" :-)

--
Pretentious? Moi?
Old October 15th 04, 10:12 AM
Impmon

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:23:45 +0100, "Cornelius J Rat"
wrote:

I remember when a 2.5 MB disk was 14" across and used to sell for over
$5000. Now, where did I leave my teeth ?
I wasn't far wrong, either - http://www.pdp8.net/rk05/rk05.shtml says $5100

Remember? How about actually owning a monster? I have a 50MB hard
drive that is 14" and in a metal case 2 feet high and 3 feet deep and
weights probably close to 75 pounds. The disc are in a transparent
cover and they make those old records look as small as a CD.
Old October 15th 04, 11:01 AM
David Maynard

wrote:

I remember when a 2.5 MB disk was 14" across and used to sell for over
$5000. Now, where did I leave my teeth ?
I wasn't far wrong, either - http://www.pdp8.net/rk05/rk05.shtml says $5100

Remember? How about actually owning a monster? I have a 50MB hard
drive that is 14" and in a metal case 2 feet high and 3 feet deep and
weights probably close to 75 pounds. The disc are in a transparent
cover and they make those old records look as small as a CD.

I've got the Data General 1.2 meg version of the RK05 he's talking about,
and the Nova 2/10 minicomputer (don't seem so 'mini' now days. hehe) to go
with it. As well as a PDP11.