who has deskstar gxp 75 dtla-307060 electronics?

Old June 9th 06, 09:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default who has deskstar gxp 75 dtla-307060 electronics?

Arno Wagner wrote:

Previously Odie wrote:
jrt wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

For the vast majority the 75GXP is fast and reliable.

Well, if 10% of there drives were trash, then IBM lied. It also
seems that all sold here were trash. Your statement is definitely
untrue if geography is taken into account.

Arno

I don't want to get into IBM bashing. I had taken note of all the
discussions relating to the quality of the deskstar series, but I have
had that drive some 6 or 7 years and it had functioned to my
satisfaction. It's my own fault that I did not take the signals of an
impending failure (smart, but not me) serious. So I have no one else to
blame than myself. But that does not get me anywhere.

Does anyone have an old, and maybe dead, DTLA 307060, or higher
capacity, laying around? I am assuming that the mb will read, if
possible, the hard disk of the 307060..

jrt,

The chances of a board swap proving successful with this drive is about
zero.

Don't spend too much time or effort on it - honestly.

I think you should listen to Odie, jrt.

With respect, I disagree, Arno. Folkrent has all the answers and
solutions. Helpful chap, too.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old June 10th 06, 04:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously Odie wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:

Previously Odie wrote:
jrt wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

[...]

Well, yes. Just the quality of the answers is a bit lacking.....

Arno
Old June 15th 06, 12:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

An IBM deskstar DTLA-307060 has just crashed. I pulled it out of the pc
and tested it on another. You can feel the disk spin but the drive is
not accessible nor is it recognized in the bios. The spinning of the
platters seem to indicate that the a component of the electronics board
has failed. Is the fact that it is not accessible or recognized while
the disks spin a confirmation of that?

For the vast majority the 75GXP is fast and reliable.

Well, if 10% of there drives were trash, then IBM lied. It also
seems that all sold here were trash. Your statement is definitely
untrue if geography is taken into account.

Arno

I don't want to get into IBM bashing.

Hey, it's babblemouth you're talking to.

I had taken note of all the
discussions relating to the quality of the deskstar series, but I have
had that drive some 6 or 7 years and it had functioned to my
satisfaction. It's my own fault that I did not take the signals of an
impending failure (smart, but not me) serious. So I have no one else to
blame than myself. But that does not get me anywhere.

Does anyone have an old, and maybe dead, DTLA 307060,

or higher capacity,

Or lower.
IBM have capacity recorded on platters, not in electronics/firmware.

laying around?
I am assuming that the mb will read, if possible, the hard disk of the 307060..

I found a similar drive on ebay and am awaiting its delivery. Why
shouldn't I try? I have a "no" already.

I am aware of the difficulties, but after the first swap of the board
I'll know where I stand. And I'll know whether my assumption that since
the drive is not recognized the board could be the culprit. And then,
how easy, hard or impossible will it be to replace the head?

Let's try to be positive on the subject at hand.

Cheerio.

Old June 15th 06, 01:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you are in the wrong post, mate.

Cheerio.

Old June 16th 06, 04:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously chrisv wrote:
jrt wrote:

[...]

Oops, I thought that this group was about hardware & storage. Please
tell me where I could find more knowledgeable people then.

Old June 17th 06, 07:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

jrt wrote:
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message
ups.com
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message
ups.com
Arno Wagner wrote:

Dont worry about ****nert, it's just escaped from its padded cell for a few days.

Old June 18th 06, 03:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously jrt wrote:

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Folkert Rienstra wrote:

[...]
Let's try to be positive on the subject at hand.

Sounds like you are in the wrong post, mate.

Cheerio.

Oops, I thought that this group was about hardware & storage. Please
tell me where I could find more knowledgeable people then.

qYou are in the right group. Folkert is just the resident agressive
(but not very bright) attack dog that tries to dominate what is being
said here, like it was his turf. Ignore him. I have him in my
killfile for quite some time now (years, I think) and this group is
far more pleasent without him.

Arno
Old June 19th 06, 08:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Babblebox" wrote in message
Previously jrt wrote:

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Folkert Rienstra wrote:

[...]
Let's try to be positive on the subject at hand.

Sounds like you are in the wrong post, mate.

Cheerio.

Oops, I thought that this group was about hardware & storage. Please
tell me where I could find more knowledgeable people then.

qYou are in the right group. Folkert is just the resident agressive

(but not very bright)

Yes, he isn't, isn't he.

Last time he wasn't very bright he had the audacity to comment on how bright
you were when you said that Windows couldn't boot from USB because Win-
dows would need the driver to be able to access the USB device and that it
couldn't because the driver was on the USB device 'that it couldn't get to'.

How stupid can one be, right Arnie?

So Arnie, in your utter brilliancy, if you change USB to IDE (or SCSI),
how then does Windows manage to boot from IDE if it needs the driver to
access it and that driver is on the IDE? It boggles the mind, aint it, Arnie?

attack dog that tries to dominate what is being said here, like it was
his turf.

What Arnie means here is that he should be able to bull**** here -all to
his heart's content- without someone telling him that he is full of ****.

Ignore him.

Just like you do here, Arnie?

I have him in my killfile for quite some time now (years, I think) and
this group is far more pleasent without him.

Typical Arnie the Swiss ostrich.
Anyone who catches Arnie the babblehead on his usual brightness goes
into Arnie's killfile.

Still so bright that he is always responding to Roddles
though Rod Speed has been in his killfile for far longer.

Arno

Here is some more of Arnie's usual brightness:

"Hehe, that would be 480Mb/s, not 480MB/s. And that is the maximum
theoretical interface bandwidth of USB2.0.

The card will be much slower and if the card is *really, really fast*,
I would be surprised if you get much more than 15MB/s (=120Mb/s)
from the card. "

So Arnie, if 15MB/s is the top for a *really, really fast* USB card what
in your expert opinion is the top for a *slow* or *average* USB 2.0 card?

" Of course the reader cannot deliver data faster than the card...."

"Example: Many people see marketing claimes of 3MB/s for SATA II drives."

"First SATAII supports 3Mb/s (thats 12.5% of 3MB/s).
Second, that is what the interface supports, not the drive."

Arnie at his best when he is fully tanked up.

"In practice you get something like 60MB/s at the beginning of the drive and 30MB/s at its end."
"But if marketing would put these numbers on the drive, people would buy the "faster ones"."

Briljant, isn't it. Don't you love a good Arnie riddle?

Or this one:
" Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector size.
No. The devices can *lie* to you. You have to look into the documantation."

Devices that have the capability of showing extra info and then go lie about it.
Who would ever figure that. Apparently everything is possible in Arnie world.

Old June 19th 06, 07:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Ren wrote:

"Babblebox" wrote in message
Previously jrt wrote:

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Folkert Rienstra wrote:

[...]
Let's try to be positive on the subject at hand.

Sounds like you are in the wrong post, mate.

Cheerio.

Oops, I thought that this group was about hardware & storage. Please
tell me where I could find more knowledgeable people then.

qYou are in the right group. Folkert is just the resident agressive

(but not very bright)

Yes, he isn't, isn't he.

Actually, and I hate to concede, he *is* rather bright.

He just lacks certain social skills that the rest of us take for
granted.

Odie
Old June 20th 06, 03:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Odie wrote:

Ren wrote:

"Babblebox" wrote in message
Previously jrt wrote:

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"jrt" wrote in message ups.com
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
[...]
Let's try to be positive on the subject at hand.

Sounds like you are in the wrong post, mate.

Cheerio.

Oops, I thought that this group was about hardware & storage. Please
tell me where I could find more knowledgeable people then.

qYou are in the right group. Folkert is just the resident agressive

(but not very bright)

Yes, he isn't, isn't he.

Actually, and I hate to concede, he *is* rather bright.

He just lacks certain social skills that the rest of us take for
granted.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

Hello, Odie:

I hate to break it to you, but, "Ren" is Folkert Rienstra! Using a
different name was his way of avoiding Arno Wagner's killfile -- which
happens to be Rod Speed's familiar trick, as well. :-J

Cordially,
John Turco