Precision M6500 - screen shut off

Old November 7th 12, 06:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_14_]

Default Precision M6500 - screen shut off

I'm wondering if it overheated. I have an i7 version of the M6500
running Windows 7 64 bit. I came back from lunch and the machine was
asleep. I hit the power button (it was flashing slowly) and the screen
came on and I got back to work. After about a minute the screen went
completely black. Fans were still running, hard drive light was
flickering randomly, and the machine was acting normally. Just not the
screen. The backlight was completely off, and I couldn't see the faint
impression of the pixels changing colors. I've seen that before. I held
down the power button and it restarted normally and I haven't had the
problem since. Normally I put two erasers under the two rear feet to
keep the machine about a quarter inch off the table's surface. That time
I didn't.
Old November 7th 12, 08:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I think that a high heat shutdown is a hard shutdown, rather than
a sleep mode.

The response to high but not excessively high heat is to slow
down the processor.

The screen not coming on might be a software screwup. I've seen
that a few times and it didn't recur.

Old November 8th 12, 06:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:34:59 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I think that a high heat shutdown is a hard shutdown, rather than

a sleep mode.

The response to high but not excessively high heat is to slow

down the processor.

The screen not coming on might be a software screwup. I've seen

that a few times and it didn't recur.

Hibernation is not especially reliable with Windows... Ben Myers
Old November 9th 12, 12:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_14_]

On 11/8/2012 12:03 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:34:59 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I think that a high heat shutdown is a hard shutdown, rather than

a sleep mode.

The response to high but not excessively high heat is to slow

down the processor.

The screen not coming on might be a software screwup. I've seen

that a few times and it didn't recur.

Hibernation is not especially reliable with Windows... Ben Myers

Is anything reliable with Windows?
Old November 9th 12, 03:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:30:26 PM UTC-5, Justin wrote:
On 11/8/2012 12:03 AM, Ben Myers wrote:

On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:34:59 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:

I think that a high heat shutdown is a hard shutdown, rather than

a sleep mode.

The response to high but not excessively high heat is to slow

down the processor.

The screen not coming on might be a software screwup. I've seen

that a few times and it didn't recur.

Hibernation is not especially reliable with Windows... Ben Myers

Is anything reliable with Windows?

It's 99.99% reliable. It's just that we all keep stumbling across the 0.01% regularly... Ben
Old November 9th 12, 07:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ben Myers wrote:
Is anything reliable with Windows?

It's 99.99% reliable. It's just that we all keep stumbling across the 0.01% regularly... Ben

It stays up and running 24/7 for me with no problem, for years at a
time.

Unusual things aren't as well debugged though, like automatic shutdowns
of one kind or another.

Old November 9th 12, 07:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I don't particularly like windows, incidentally.
I'd much prefer Linux, but that doesn't have all
the drivers you need and all the updates to this
or that fashionable multimedia format.

So windows with Cygwin is my choice.

So long as windows stays out of the way, it's fine
with me.

Old November 10th 12, 02:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
who where

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 21:03:52 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
wrote:

Hibernation is not especially reliable with Windows

What is?

Old November 15th 12, 05:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_14_]

On 11/7/2012 2:34 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
I think that a high heat shutdown is a hard shutdown, rather than
a sleep mode.

The response to high but not excessively high heat is to slow
down the processor.

The screen not coming on might be a software screwup. I've seen
that a few times and it didn't recur.

It turns out this is a well known issue. It happens when the chipset
gets too hot.
I installed a set of feet on the machine so its about a quarter inch off
the surface in the front and maybe 5/8 of an inch in the back.
I installed a 500GB Western Digital 7,200 rpm drive.
I couldn't run more than five minutes without the screen blanking.
I miss my Mac.
I thought buying a Dell designed for higher end users would work, but nope.