5400 rpm and 7200 question

Old September 26th 03, 11:33 PM
John and Pat Ochenduszko

Default 5400 rpm and 7200 question

I know this has been answered before so please excuse my lack of memory on
the subject. I am going to be installing a smallish 5400 rpm on a system
that already has a 7200rpm hard drive. The smaller drive is only for beta
testing purposes and I want to know if it will detract from the performance
of the 7200 rpm drive. I believe that I have read that with today's newer,
faster and robust systems, that is really not an issue anymore. The system
is a very new P4 2.6 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
John O.

Old September 27th 03, 01:28 AM
Rod Speed

John and Pat Ochenduszko wrote
in message ...

I know this has been answered before so please excuse my lack
of memory on the subject. I am going to be installing a smallish
5400 rpm on a system that already has a 7200rpm hard drive.
The smaller drive is only for beta testing purposes and I want to
know if it will detract from the performance of the 7200 rpm drive.

No it wont.

I believe that I have read that with today's newer, faster
and robust systems, that is really not an issue anymore.

Correct, and it hasnt been for years now.

The system is a very new P4 2.6 GHz with 512 MB of RAM.

Thats fine.

Old September 27th 03, 03:16 AM
Rita A. Berkowitz

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

John and Pat Ochenduszko wrote
in message ...

I know this has been answered before so please excuse my lack
of memory on the subject. I am going to be installing a smallish
5400 rpm on a system that already has a 7200rpm hard drive.
The smaller drive is only for beta testing purposes and I want to
know if it will detract from the performance of the 7200 rpm drive.

No it wont.

Sure will, any IDE/ATA drive is a detraction in performance. SCSI is the
answer if you want performance

I believe that I have read that with today's newer, faster
and robust systems, that is really not an issue anymore.

Correct, and it hasnt been for years now.

Not true. A slower drive will be the downfall of any modern system. The
I/O is the biggest bottleneck in today's systems.

The system is a very new P4 2.6 GHz with 512 MB of RAM.

Thats fine.

Irrelevant.

Rita

Old September 27th 03, 06:28 AM
Rod Speed

Some rabid bigot with the entirely appropriate name of
Rita A. Bigotowitz wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote
John and Pat Ochenduszko wrote

I know this has been answered before so please excuse my lack
of memory on the subject. I am going to be installing a smallish
5400 rpm on a system that already has a 7200rpm hard drive.
The smaller drive is only for beta testing purposes and I want to
know if it will detract from the performance of the 7200 rpm drive.

No it wont.

Sure will, any IDE/ATA drive is a detraction in performance.

Utterly mindless pig ignorant bigotry, typical from you.

SCSI is the answer if you want performance

Hari Krishna, Hari Hari Hari....

I believe that I have read that with today's newer, faster
and robust systems, that is really not an issue anymore.

Correct, and it hasnt been for years now.

Not true.

Wrong. As always.

A slower drive will be the downfall of any modern system.

Not if you aint actually using it, ****wit.

The I/O is the biggest bottleneck in today's systems.

Only when you are actually using it for the beta testing, ****wit.

The system is a very new P4 2.6 GHz with 512 MB of RAM.

Thats fine.

Irrelevant.

Not on that question of the lowest common denominator
of the ATA mode used on a ribbon cable, bigotcow.

Old September 27th 03, 01:50 PM
John and Pat Ochenduszko

Thanks for the information Rod. I always appreciate all of your informative
comments. And you did in fact read it correctly. This drive will only be
used for testing and not accessed until I multiboot into the OS that it is
dedicated for.

Regards,
John O.

Old September 27th 03, 09:04 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Rita A. Berkowitz" wrote in message ...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

John and Pat Ochenduszko wrote in message ...

I know this has been answered before so please excuse my lack
of memory on the subject. I am going to be installing a smallish
5400 rpm on a system that already has a 7200rpm hard drive.
The smaller drive is only for beta testing purposes and I want to
know if it will detract from the performance of the 7200 rpm drive.

No it wont.

Sure will,

Utterly clueless.

any IDE/ATA drive is a detraction in performance. SCSI is the
answer if you want performance.

SCSI has the exact same problems, like all buses.
It is just better able to use available bandwidth than IDE.
When plenty of bandwidth is available that advantage is of no use.
IDE can be on different channels to avoid that possible problem.

I believe that I have read that with today's newer, faster
and robust systems, that is really not an issue anymore.

Correct, and it hasnt been for years now.

Not true. A slower drive will be the downfall of any modern system.

Which has nothing to do with one drive slowing down the other.

The I/O is the biggest bottleneck in today's systems.

And some 5400rpm drives are equally fast as 7200 rpm drives.
And only a few horrendously expensive 15k rpm SCSI drives are
slightly faster than IDE drives.

The system is a very new P4 2.6 GHz with 512 MB of RAM.

Thats fine.

Irrelevant.

Clueless, you just said it wasn't, only a few lines back.

Rita