Athlon 1.33GHz 266FSB on GA-7ZXR Rev1.0 board

Old December 14th 03, 03:31 PM
J Baker

Default Athlon 1.33GHz 266FSB on GA-7ZXR Rev1.0 board

Just installed a new Athlon 1.33GHz 266FSB on GA-7ZXR Rev1.0 board. Have
latest BIOS version FB installed. I'm unable to get the board to boot when
the CPU dip switches are set to 133MHz, even though it appears the board and
the BIOS should support this.

The POST screen also misses the boat and reports only a 1.0 GHz processor
installed.

What do I need to do to get the board to recognize the CPU and get the
system bus speed up to 133MHz?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

JB

Old December 14th 03, 07:06 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:31:59 +0000, J Baker wrote:

Just installed a new Athlon 1.33GHz 266FSB on GA-7ZXR Rev1.0 board. Have
latest BIOS version FB installed. I'm unable to get the board to boot when
the CPU dip switches are set to 133MHz, even though it appears the board and
the BIOS should support this.

It doesn't.

The POST screen also misses the boat and reports only a 1.0 GHz
processor installed.

Multiplier times FSB = CPU speed. It's right on the money at 10x100.

What do I need to do to get the board to recognize the CPU and get the
system bus speed up to 133MHz?

According to the info I found on the 7ZXR board it uses the KT133(non A)
chipset, and as such it won't do a 133MHz FSB. So if you want to use that
cpu at full speed, you'll need to unlock it (closing L1's) and then set
the multiplier 12.5 and FSB to 107. It's really a poor choice for that MB.
See link below for more info.

Old December 19th 03, 02:10 AM
J Baker

Thanks for the reply Wes!

I'm going to chock this one up to learning. The system was my first build
and I had thought I was getting a decently expandable board two years ago.
Rev1 boards are not the best for that as I have discovered.

JB

news