Seeking Sound Advice

Old December 5th 03, 12:20 AM
DNP

Default Seeking Sound Advice

I am about to purchase a Dell 8300. (Congratulations or condolences
not necessary). I had included the SB Audigy 2 in my configuration,
but when checking my order I read the following on the configuration
menu (small business) :

NOTE:To enable DVD-Audio function on the Sound Blaster® Audigy 2™
Sound card, it should be configured with at least one DVD device (16x
DVD, 4x DVD+RW, or 32x DVD Combo) and surround sound speakers (Altec
Lansing ADA745 or Altec Lansing ADA995).

I have no interest in surround sound, and I would probably not
appreciate the superior sound quality of the Audigy 2. I did not want
to buy surround sound speakers due the the additional space
requirements.

Can I use the standard 2 satellites and a subwoofer arrangement with
the Audigy 2? Do I gain or lose anything (besides surround sound)
using the Audigy 2 in this configuration?

One of my main intended applications is video editing. Originally, I
chose the Audigy 2 because of the firewire port. However, after
further consideration, I think that whatever video editing package I
acquire later will come with a firewire card or I could arrange it so.

I am thinking of changing to the SB Live. Will I regret this
decision? Am I giving up capability or performance that I don't
realize? Price is not that much of an issue, but I hate to buy
capability that I'll never use or realize.

TIA,
Dan