Gaming probs

Old June 27th 08, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jimbob

Default Gaming probs

Hey y'all.

I recently got myself a 8800gt 512mb g/card which replaced my old 6600gt.

The problem is, whenever i play games, in this example i bought
racedriver grid to test my new card. But, about 5 - 10 mins into
playing, the game locks up and i have to alt-tab out and end it manually.

I have re-installed latest drivers and a temp monitor, the gcard went up
to about 60c and the cpu went to about 75c.

I'm at a loss as what it could be?

Specs:

xp pro
core2duo 6400
2gb ram
8800gt 512mb

AHA
Old June 27th 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Jimbob wrote:

... the cpu went to about 75c.
... core2duo 6400

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Not necessarily the cause for your freezing, but that might be too
hot. I would figure out how to lower the maximum temperature. I
would be surprised if my E6850 ever gets to 60°C using the stock
heatsink/fan with both cores at 100%.

Those temperatures could be an indication of something else being
wrong or being affected by the heat.

Maybe your CPU partially shuts down and the game can't handle it. A
wild guess.

By the way. If you think it's the video card, also try the NVIDIA
group.

Good luck and have fun.

--
My in-line street skates (a.k.a. rollerblades).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

Currently ignoring most Google Groups spammers and nym-shifting
trolls.
Old June 27th 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jimbob

John Doe wrote:

... the cpu went to about 75c.
... core2duo 6400

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Not necessarily the cause for your freezing, but that might be too
hot. I would figure out how to lower the maximum temperature. I
would be surprised if my E6850 ever gets to 60°C using the stock
heatsink/fan with both cores at 100%.

Those temperatures could be an indication of something else being
wrong or being affected by the heat.

Maybe your CPU partially shuts down and the game can't handle it. A
wild guess.

By the way. If you think it's the video card, also try the NVIDIA
group.

Good luck and have fun.

Looking more like the cpu has problems. I turned down all the settings
within the game, and it ran fine. As soon as i upped some settings, aa
af etc, the game locked up once more, the temp was only 70 when i
managed to alt tab out. Havn't got the time at the moment to mess inside
the case, but i'm going to re-apply some thermal compound, i will report
back tommorrow.

Thanks for the reply.
Old June 27th 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"Jimbob" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:

[...]

I beleive 75C is a bit high for a core 2 Duo. Check that your HS is
clamped down at all 4 corners, they easily pop out at one corner. WHat PSU,
make/model.

Mike.

Old June 28th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jimbob

Michael Hawes wrote:

Looking more like the cpu has problems. I turned down all the settings
within the game, and it ran fine. As soon as i upped some settings, aa af
etc, the game locked up once more, the temp was only 70 when i managed to
alt tab out. Havn't got the time at the moment to mess inside the case,
but i'm going to re-apply some thermal compound, i will report back
tommorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

I beleive 75C is a bit high for a core 2 Duo. Check that your HS is
clamped down at all 4 corners, they easily pop out at one corner. WHat PSU,
make/model.

Mike.

It's a hiper, 550w i believe, good quality not had any problems with it.

Old June 28th 08, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN

In article , John Doe wrote:
Jimbob wrote:

... the cpu went to about 75c.
... core2duo 6400

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Not necessarily the cause for your freezing, but that might be too
hot. I would figure out how to lower the maximum temperature. I
would be surprised if my E6850 ever gets to 60°C using the stock
heatsink/fan with both cores at 100%.

Those temperatures could be an indication of something else being
wrong or being affected by the heat.

Maybe your CPU partially shuts down and the game can't handle it. A
wild guess.

By the way. If you think it's the video card, also try the NVIDIA
group.

Good luck and have fun.

He may have knocked loose the fan connector for his CPU
Old June 28th 08, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jimbob

GMAN wrote:

He may have knocked loose the fan connector for his CPU

No, i opened up the case and checked all connections, all fans still
spinning.
Old June 28th 08, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Medlin[_4_]

"Jimbob" wrote in message
GMAN wrote:

He may have knocked loose the fan connector for his CPU

No, i opened up the case and checked all connections, all fans still
spinning.

Are you sure that the software itself is not freezing and maxing out your
CPU and GPU? I have seen badly written code do that. I am not familiar with
that particular program, but it can happen.

Ed