Need help in finding replacement CPU

Old November 12th 03, 12:30 PM
Wingman

Default Need help in finding replacement CPU

I have discovered that the CPU in a Gateway 1000C has gone bad. I need to
find a replacement but am unsure of what will be compatible.

The original chip is a P-III SL52R 1Ghz/256/133/1.75v, running in an Intel
810 Chipset mobo.

I've been looking for replacements, but there are apparently several
variations and designations that I'm not totally familiar with. Such as
Xeon, Coppermine, Tualitan, etc..

Could someone please help me determine which CPU will work properly?

Thanks!!!

Lee Lawson

Old November 13th 03, 05:55 AM
Tony Hill

On 12 Nov 2003 06:30:08 -0600, "Wingman" wrote:
I have discovered that the CPU in a Gateway 1000C has gone bad. I need to
find a replacement but am unsure of what will be compatible.

The original chip is a P-III SL52R 1Ghz/256/133/1.75v, running in an Intel
810 Chipset mobo.

I've been looking for replacements, but there are apparently several
variations and designations that I'm not totally familiar with. Such as
Xeon, Coppermine, Tualitan, etc..

Well Xeon is a different type of chip altogether, so you can safely
rule that one out. The "256" above presumably means 256KB of L2 cache
(cache = fast memory embedded right on chip to store frequently used
chunks of data), and the 1.75V is, of course, the voltage. Both of
these point to a "Coppermine" chip, ie a PIII that was produced on a
180nm manufacturing process. The "Tualatin" had 512KB of L2 cache and
operated at a slightly lower voltage (1.55V if my memory is working
right this evening).

One other bit of extra info you may need is the "133", which I would
assume refers to a 133MHz bus speed for this processor, as opposed to
the 100MHz bus speed used on some earlier PIIIs. I don't know if the
1GHz PIII was ever shipped with a 100MHz bus speed or not, but either
way, the vast majority of them should be of the 133MHz version.

So, to sum up, you're looking for a PIII "Coppermine" chip running at
1GHz with a 133MHz bus speed. They should actually be relatively easy
to track down.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old November 13th 03, 11:16 AM
Wingman

Tony,
You are correct in your assumptions.

Thank you very much, very very helpful!!!

Lee

.com...