Upgrade question

Old January 12th 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
RF

Default Upgrade question

Hello,

It appears that my Epox 8RDA+ has issues with "bad caps" on thos little
transistors near the cpu.
I am looking to get another board. My question is using the 754 socket, (a
friend gave me an sempron AMD 64 XP2800+), what board would you recommend? I
also have 2 sticks of kingston hyper X 2700, (333), that I wish to use as
well. I'm not too familiar with the AMD 64 platform, and I don't know if my
memory would work with it.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

RF

Old January 12th 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
VWWall

RF wrote:
Hello,

It appears that my Epox 8RDA+ has issues with "bad caps" on thos little
transistors near the cpu.
I am looking to get another board. My question is using the 754 socket, (a
friend gave me an sempron AMD 64 XP2800+), what board would you recommend? I
also have 2 sticks of kingston hyper X 2700, (333), that I wish to use as
well. I'm not too familiar with the AMD 64 platform, and I don't know if my
memory would work with it.

I've been using a MSI K8MM-ILSR which has socket 754 with on-board
graphics, LAN, 6 channel audio and Firewire. I'm using DD400 memory, so
am not sure about the 333. The graphics shares 64M of the RAM, and is
fine for anything but fast games. I run WinXPx64 with no problems
except for finding drivers. All in all it's a good board for the price.
It runs WinXP 32bit, which I dual boot, as well as any CPU of its speed.

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
Old January 13th 06, 11:10 AM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Wes Newell

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:01:02 +0000, RF wrote:

It appears that my Epox 8RDA+ has issues with "bad caps" on thos little
transistors near the cpu.
I am looking to get another board. My question is using the 754 socket, (a
friend gave me an sempron AMD 64 XP2800+), what board would you recommend? I
also have 2 sticks of kingston hyper X 2700, (333), that I wish to use as
well. I'm not too familiar with the AMD 64 platform, and I don't know if my
memory would work with it.

Do you have any advice?

Your ram will work. As for a board, don't know what you want. About any
would work ok if you don't plan on overclocking much. ASRock K8Ugrade-NF3
would be a good cheap choice.

Old January 13th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:01:02 GMT, "RF" wrote:

Hello,

It appears that my Epox 8RDA+ has issues with "bad caps" on thos little
transistors near the cpu.
I am looking to get another board. My question is using the 754 socket, (a
friend gave me an sempron AMD 64 XP2800+), what board would you recommend? I
also have 2 sticks of kingston hyper X 2700, (333), that I wish to use as
well. I'm not too familiar with the AMD 64 platform, and I don't know if my
memory would work with it.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

RF

Too bad about those multi-layer boards requiring professional
soldering and desoldering gear...

Tom
Old January 13th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
kony

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:47:56 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:01:02 GMT, "RF" wrote:

Hello,

It appears that my Epox 8RDA+ has issues with "bad caps" on thos little
transistors near the cpu.
I am looking to get another board. My question is using the 754 socket, (a
friend gave me an sempron AMD 64 XP2800+), what board would you recommend? I
also have 2 sticks of kingston hyper X 2700, (333), that I wish to use as
well. I'm not too familiar with the AMD 64 platform, and I don't know if my
memory would work with it.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

RF

Too bad about those multi-layer boards requiring professional
soldering and desoldering gear...

Nonsense.

Have you tried it? If so and you failed, I suggest a bit
more practice as it's relatively easy to replace a few caps
with a moderately high-wattage pencil iron, no special tools
or desoldering gear at all. Many surface mount parts aren't
that bad either if one has experience soldering small parts.
Old January 13th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
John O

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

RF

Too bad about those multi-layer boards requiring professional
soldering and desoldering gear...

Nonsense.

Have you tried it? If so and you failed, I suggest a bit
more practice as it's relatively easy to replace a few caps
with a moderately high-wattage pencil iron, no special tools
or desoldering gear at all. Many surface mount parts aren't
that bad either if one has experience soldering small parts.

I did a lot of that sort of thing at Heathkit, where we went through pounds
of solder each week. The key is a big, hot iron. The board can handle a good
bit of heat for a short time, and a 75W iron does less damage than a
wimpy-ass 25w iron. Make sure the tip is clean and tinned well. Then, you
need one of those bulb solder suckers to clean the hole.

With most of those caps, you can heat both leads at the same time, then
whack the board on the table. The cap will fly out, and cleaning the hole is
easy. Done it a million.........no, a BILLION times. ;-)

-John O

Old January 13th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Tom MacIntyre

wrote:

[...]

I worked in consumer electronics repair for a number of years, quite
successfully. My soldering skills were above average. A Soldapult
sucker just can't cut it.

Tom
Old January 13th 06, 10:55 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Barry Watzman

Not true; the electrolytic caps, which are the problem, can be dealt
with using an old fashioned soldering iron. They are still "thru-hole"
mount.

Old January 13th 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
kony

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:03:13 GMT, "John O"
wrote:

Have you tried it? If so and you failed, I suggest a bit
more practice as it's relatively easy to replace a few caps
with a moderately high-wattage pencil iron, no special tools
or desoldering gear at all. Many surface mount parts aren't
that bad either if one has experience soldering small parts.

I did a lot of that sort of thing at Heathkit, where we went through pounds
of solder each week. The key is a big, hot iron. The board can handle a good
bit of heat for a short time, and a 75W iron does less damage than a
wimpy-ass 25w iron. Make sure the tip is clean and tinned well. Then, you
need one of those bulb solder suckers to clean the hole.

Agreed, though I use 45W. 30W "might" work with a stubby
enough tip. A solder sucker does well but in a pinch one
can just use a pick or needle to ream out the hole while
reheating it, or even a circuit board drill bit to drill a
hole.

With most of those caps, you can heat both leads at the same time, then
whack the board on the table. The cap will fly out, and cleaning the hole is
easy. Done it a million.........no, a BILLION times. ;-)

I'd be careful about wacking boards, lots of surface mount
parts these days and the board is bound to flex some.

I usually wack the boards only if I'm cannibalizing one,
taking a pencil torch to the back to get several things off
at once.
Old January 13th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
kony

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:02:37 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
wrote:

Have you tried it? If so and you failed, I suggest a bit
more practice as it's relatively easy to replace a few caps
with a moderately high-wattage pencil iron, no special tools
or desoldering gear at all. Many surface mount parts aren't
that bad either if one has experience soldering small parts.

I worked in consumer electronics repair for a number of years, quite
successfully. My soldering skills were above average. A Soldapult
sucker just can't cut it.

Well I've replaced caps on far too many boards to count, if
all one has is a 30+W iron w/good tip and a roll of solder,
it can be done... let alone with more equipment. Depending
on how experienced the person is, it might not look as good
but a little extra flux can help too.

Video Card Upgrade Question Mulder, it's me... Dell Computers 3 December 27th 05 03:12 AM
CPU upgrade question Tom S General 3 December 20th 05 08:49 PM
Upgrade Question Don W. McCollough Gateway Computers 8 November 21st 05 12:27 PM
Dimension 8400 Dual Mem Upgrade Question [email protected] Dell Computers 2 April 1st 05 08:52 AM
GeForce4 Ti 4200 Upgrade Question Aphelion Nvidia Videocards 18 April 10th 04 08:37 PM