8IEXP Upgraded to 2.8Northwood but "Check System Health!" when bootup

Old December 7th 05, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default 8IEXP Upgraded to 2.8Northwood but "Check System Health!" when bootup

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I have a gigabyte 8IEXP mobo that
previously had a 1.8ghz Intel P4 Northwood CPU. I've upgraded the CPU
to a 2.8Ghz Northwood but everytime it does a cold boot (eg first boot
of the day) the Award Bios always goes:

Check System Health! Vcore = 1.525V

Now my CPU is supposed to run at 1.525V (according to the box). The odd
thing is this: If I go to Bios, but do not change anything, and reboot,
the system health shows:

Check System Health OK. Vcore = 1.525V

I tried upping vcore to 1.550 but everytime I do a cold boot I get the
same warning on system health. When I reboot from within Windows, no
problem. From Bios, no problem. It seems the problem occurs only when
the computer starts for the first time during the day. Doing a hard
switch on/off/on after using the computer - no probs either.

Is this something I should worry about? I have an Antec Trupower
480Watts PSU (recently replaced my old one when it died on me), and a
Nvidia fx5900 (not sure if the cpu and the nvidia care share the +12v
rail?)

Cpu-z shows the following:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80Ghz Voltage 1.472 - 1.488v Northwood mPGA-478
Core Speed 2813.6Mhz Multiplier x21.0 FSB 134.0Mhz Bus Speed 535.9Mhz

Mobo: 8IEXP Rev 2.0 Award Bios 6.00PG 11/01/2002 (Updated to f9 bios)

Anyone knows if this is something I should worry about please reply!

Ad-thanks-vance,
saidean

Old December 9th 05, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Have you updated your BIOS settings?
Have it auto-detect any new hardware you have installed (ie, your CPU).
Have everything on auto since there might have been a manual setting that
was
once configured for your older P4 1.8Ghz Northwood.

Sounds like some of the old P4 1.8Ghz Northwood Vcore settings are somehow
still being recalled during POST.

Not sure also if this BIOS is one of Gigabyte's weird one's that allows for
the "additional features" to be shown when you press the "CTRL & F1" keys.
If so, this might show some additional feature that is causing (or could
fix) your
issue.

Best wishes.
GB

ups.com...

Old December 18th 05, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Hi,

Bios is updated to latest patch (F9) for 8IEXP.
Bios was able to detect new CPU at POST
Everything is on auto for most settings in any case...
I checked the additional features but didn't see anything that might
have been configured for the 1.8. The Vcore setting is on 'default'
which is 1.525V. I tried upping it one notch but no luck still on cold
boot.

I don't know why the first POST always shows as check system health but
afterwards it's alright. Subsequent cold boots and reboots are alright.

The important thing for me is that so long as it isn't potentially
damaging for my CPU or mobo, I don't mind if the cold boot error shows
up as a 'fluke'. (Not enough voltage going into vcore at immediate
startup? Maybe this is some new fangled safety feature in new PSUs?)

Upgraded to PC3200 RAM, now system is slower??? pberry Overclocking AMD Processors 11 April 12th 04 01:36 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM